Vacuun pump failed?

Old February 22nd 04, 03:45 AM
RAM

Default Vacuun pump failed?

Today noticed the vacuum gauge starting to inch upward. Climbed from 5.0
to almost 8.0 in 5 minutes. DG and AI acting normal the whole time.
Then....dropped to zero and the gyros obviously quit. I only have
experienced 1 vacuum pump failure before and it just dropped to zero
without climbing first. Does this sound like the pump went?

Old February 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Bushy

Or a line or fitting fell off or started leaking.

Hope it's this simple,
Peter

Old February 22nd 04, 05:47 AM
rip

Yes it does. Another possibility is that the vacuum regulator valve has
gone south. Get a wet pump if you can.

Rip

Old February 22nd 04, 06:28 AM
John

It sounds like your vacuum regulator quit. This made the pump work
harder which then died from over work.
Make sure you check the filter on the vacuum regulator. The pump may
have sucked in a chunk of the old filter sock on the regulator.

Old February 22nd 04, 07:22 AM
Craig

RAM wrote in message news:rBVZb.98043$uV3.571401@attbi_s51...
Today noticed the vacuum gauge starting to inch upward. Climbed from 5.0
to almost 8.0 in 5 minutes. DG and AI acting normal the whole time.
Then....dropped to zero and the gyros obviously quit. I only have
experienced 1 vacuum pump failure before and it just dropped to zero
without climbing first. Does this sound like the pump went?

Make sure that your filters didn't get plugged up and collapse first.
I've seen a couple of cases where the filters collapsed and essentialy
the pump was sucking on a plugged line.

Craig C.

Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 05:17 PM
Windmilling Prop & Vacuum Pump Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 14 October 14th 04 08:08 PM
Tiny vacuum pump Jim Weir Owning 32 January 21st 04 03:44 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Wanted clever PA32 engineer's thoughts - Gear extention problem on Piper Lance [email protected] Owning 5 July 22nd 03 12:35 AM