Crab, slips, and crossed controls

Old September 26th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mick[_2_]

Default Crab, slips, and crossed controls

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
| "Mick" #$$#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :
|

| "Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
| | "Mick" #$$#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :
| |
| |
| | "Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
| | | "Mick" #$$#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
| | | :
| | |
| | |
| | | "Stefan" wrote in message
| | | .. .
| | | |
| control
| | usage
| | crosswind,
| | | |
| art
| | |
| | | Cuz they have their heads up their asses, just like Bertie
| | | Buttlick.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Bwawhahw!
| | |
| | | You actualy think you're wearing me down or something, don't you?
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Bwawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahhw!
| | |
| | |
| | | Bertie
| |
| | Did you pass out on the send button again, dumb ass.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Nope.
| |
| |

Old September 26th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Sep 22, 10:35*am, Stefan wrote:
Robert Moore schrieb:

What you have described is the "forward slip". *Although control usage
is the same in both, a "side slip" is used to correct for a crosswind,
and a "forward slip" is used to descend more rapidly

A slip is a slip is a slip.

I always wondered why so many flight instructors celebrate the art of
making simple things seem complicated. I finally came to the conlusion
that it's to look more impressive to the female students.

There are some pretty wonderful 'slips' of the power on variety in the
second minute of this video. Even if you've seen it before, if you
fly, you'll smile and be a little envious -- or a lot envious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3q8MDFltxI
Old September 26th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Krueger

Robert Moore schrieb:

What you have described is the "forward slip". *Although control usage
is the same in both, a "side slip" is used to correct for a crosswind,
and a "forward slip" is used to descend more rapidly

A slip is a slip is a slip.

I always wondered why so many flight instructors celebrate the art of
making simple things seem complicated. I finally came to the conlusion
that it's to look more impressive to the female students.

There are some pretty wonderful 'slips' of the power on variety in the
second minute of this video. Even if you've seen it before, if you
fly, you'll smile and be a little envious -- or a lot envious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3q8MDFltxI

EXCELLENT! tHANKS!
--
Mommy, Daddy, can i live with you the rest of my life?
Waaaaaaaaaa!!!! i umpire but i don wanna work either.

______________
/ \
| WHAAAAAAAAAAA! |
\__ _________/
/ ,'
_.~._ /,'
,~'.~@~.`~.
/ : _..._ : \
{ :,"''\\`".: }
`C) 0 _ 0 (--.._,-"""-.__
( ) @ ( ) `.
`-.-_-.-' \
,' \ / ,` ;`-._,-.
,' ,'/ ,' `---t.,-. \_
,--.,',' ,'----.__\ _( \----'
'///,`,--.,' `-.__.--' `. )
'///,' `-`
Old September 26th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Bertie's has crabs, wears his mothers slips, and crosses his legs everywhere he drools.

"Mick" #$$#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
| "Mick" #$$#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :
|

| And of course you would know that, because you are an aviation legend.
|

| Thenkkew.
|

| Bertie

Ta da!

Bertie
Old September 27th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:27:29 -0500, "Allen"
wrote:

in my country the manouver I describe is always called a side slip.

side slips are used as I indicate to dirty up the aircraft
aerodynamically.
they can be used to counter a crosswind but the crabbed approach is
preferred because it doesnt change the approach profile.

it is a side slip.

youalls mileage may vary :-)

Stealth Pilot

The slips are named for their flight path in relation to a point on the
ground. The forward slip, when used in relation to a runway, creates a
direct forward path to the end of the runway. This is accomplished by
lowering a wing and opposite rudder at the same time. The nose of the
aircraft is to the left or right of the runway heading but the flight path
is directly forward toward the runway. The primary use of this slip is to
lose altitude without increasing airspeed and also to allow a view of the
runway if the front windshield is obstructed with ice or oil. The side
slip, when used in relation to a runway, creates a sideways flight path .
This is accomplished by lowering a wing and using rudder to keep the nose of
the aircraft pointed straight down the runway. In a no-wind situation the
aircraft will move sideways left or right of the runway centerline depending
on which wing is lowered. The primary use of this slip is to counteract
side drift in a crosswind landing and allow the aircraft to touchdown
parallel to the runway centerline.

why on earth are you lecturing me about slips?
I use them as a convenience whenever I feel the need.

in my country they are known only as side slips because the control
inputs are pretty well the same and you can make them point in pretty
well any direction from side ways to forwards.

it is only in america where you make the artificial distinction
between forward and sideways slips.

to my mind it is as much of a nonsense as the way you spell aeroplane.
ymmv
Stealth Pilot
Old September 27th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

In both cases the pilot is presenting the side of the airplane to the
wind. The nonsense has everything to do with the track of the axis of
the airplane over the ground, doesn't it? If the axis points to the
direction of travel over the ground, as we would like in landing,
that's a slip of one flavor, if it doesn't, it's a different flavor. I
think the landing slip is a little more difficult since the reference
is different, but even then, many pilots kick the airplane to track
the centerline at the last moment.

If I need to come down fast I just ram in a foot-full of rudder
(Mooneys do not have a lot of rudder authority) and buy the tracking I
need with the yoke. It's fairly easy to track along the runway
centerline if I use that as a reference, and just never bother saying
gee, this is a slide slip, now let's change it to a forward one. In
all cases it's just flying the airplane (and unless an unexpected
change in landing clearance had been issued by the tower) cursing a
little because I put myself a bit too high or too hot to get to where
I want to be in a coordinated way. That is bad piloting.

Old September 27th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Americnas get to choose the spelling cuz they invented it!

Much in the same way as you guys invented the rotary washing line and
the....

What else?

Bertie

Old September 27th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

black boxes come to mind, so do car radios.
Old September 27th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in
:

On Sep 27, 12:07*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote
innews:fsfsd4hmkhnk

:

wrote:

[...]

Painting a cornflakes box black and sticking a wireless on a holden
doesnt count!

Bertie
Old September 27th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

You count your way, the Aussies count theirs. They were inventive
enough to take the America's Cup from us, and keep if for a couple of
cycles. They are not on a per capital basis as strong as Israel, but
they are not doing badly. Hell, they invented Great White Sharks and
Waltzing Matildas and the digery do. Those are major contributions to
world cultures.

Slips and skids William Hung[_2_] Piloting 25 March 17th 08 02:27 AM
slips to landing in PTS BB Soaring 6 April 17th 07 05:58 AM
Slips and spins in FSX? Chris Wells Simulators 0 December 14th 06 08:24 PM
A reluctance to take the controls Jay Honeck Piloting 161 December 1st 06 08:27 PM
About forward slips Mxsmanic Piloting 77 November 2nd 06 11:35 PM