The Sky is Their Limit

Old November 12th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Sky is Their Limit

In 1967, the US soaring community received a perfect storm of publicity
as three major mainstream publications printed articles about their
sport. Membership in the SSA shot up.

I am in the process of making these articles available on the web. Here
is the first, from the April 1967 issue of Reader's Digest:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...heirlimit.html

There's an email link at the bottom of the page. Drop me a line if you
spot any typos or other weirdness with the page.

Johan Larson

Old November 12th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

"It glides 30 feet forward for each foot it comes down, so from our 2000
feet we can go almost 1200 miles before landing. You can go in smaller
circles in a sailplane and whence maneuver better in looking over places
where you might have to land."

30 to 1 L/d, 2000ft AGL is 12 miles? not 1200

I use nautical miles, or 30/1 = 5nm per 1000ft, or 10 nm,
statute miles, 2000ft agl x 30 = 60,000 divied by 5280 = 11.36sm

Bill

ups.com...

Old November 13th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

wrote:
In 1967, the US soaring community received a perfect storm of publicity
as three major mainstream publications printed articles about their
sport. Membership in the SSA shot up.

I am in the process of making these articles available on the web. Here
is the first, from the April 1967 issue of Reader's Digest:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...heirlimit.html

There's an email link at the bottom of the page. Drop me a line if you
spot any typos or other weirdness with the page.

Johan Larson

Great article, great post, I couldn't get the links to show the other
two articles besides "The sky is the limit". Please fix it, I want to
read the other two!
I couldn't believe that in 1967 you could purchase a glider for that
small of an amount!...oh well, times they do change...but the article
shows that the love of the sport, and how you land doesn't change!
micki

Old November 13th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

"An airline pilot with 22,00 hours " Is that all??

and again..

"We are far behing Europe," ??

Tim,

I do not find these "typos" in my copy. Perhaps your download was damaged?

Jack
Old November 13th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jack wrote:
Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

"An airline pilot with 22,00 hours " Is that all??

and again..

"We are far behing Europe," ??

Tim,

I do not find these "typos" in my copy. Perhaps your download was damaged?

Jack

That's because the corrections are happening in Internet-time.

Johan Larson

Old November 13th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Johan.. I missed that too... he's talking about the italics at the bottom of
the page..

BT

"Roger Worden" wrote in message
t...
Is the author's name really "Bobert N. Buck" or should it be Robert?

Old November 13th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Roger Worden wrote:
Is the author's name really "Bobert N. Buck" or should it be Robert?

It is indeed Robert. Sometimes in our errors we catch a glimpse of the
world next door, and it is a far more interesting place...

Johan Larson

Pegasus Life limit update Mark628CA Soaring 2 April 7th 06 04:23 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Jeppesen FliteSchool error: Invalid Logon, Limit your Name to alpha-numeric characters only. Jersey Devil General Aviation 0 November 29th 04 09:12 PM
Jep FliteSchool error: Invalid Logon, Limit your Name to alpha-numeric characters only. Jersey Devil Simulators 0 November 29th 04 09:06 PM
Why do constant speed power setting charts limit RPM? Ben Jackson Piloting 6 April 16th 04 03:41 AM