CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 25th 04, 05:00 PM
Margy Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Judah wrote:

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities make
$100,000 an episode...

Well, teachers haven't made that little in a LLLOOONNNGGG time! Around here, the
going rate is around 50K for substitutes and over 70K to start for regulars. By
comparison, starting pay for a software developer with an MS is about 50K.

According to salary.com the median pay for a teacher in New Brunswick, NJ is $51,
927 with the 25th percentile salary at $41,143. I think this is probably much
closer to reality. NO schools start at 70K and many top out below that. Somerset
High School is about $2,000 lower and NYC about $2,000 higher. Substitutes in
Fairfax County, VA get $10 an hour. Subs are almost always hired by the hour with
no benefits. A starting teacher in Fairfax County gets $35,813 and 7% of that comes
off the top to pay for pension (yes, we pay our own). Fairfax is considered a "good
paying" district in a very expensive area. 40 miles west of here the pay drops
almost $10,000 a year. http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scalepdfs/04tchr195.pdf
shows more realistic teacher salaries.
Margy

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old January 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Judah" wrote in message
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

"Jordan" wrote in message

If we have to have celebrity endorsement, then our nation is too brain
dead to endure and is finished.

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities make
$100,000 an episode...

Teachers hardly make minimun wage. Even if we paid them $100K, they don't
know _how_ to teach (besides being beholden to the unions). Further, even
those who LOVE to teach, still miss HOW the human mind learns and grasps
information in the form of concepts. That's why most all of "education" is
now BY ROTE.

Old January 19th 04, 01:02 PM
Michael Houghton

Howyd!

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Judah" wrote in message
.. .
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

"Jordan" wrote in message

If we have to have celebrity endorsement, then our nation is too brain
dead to endure and is finished.

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities make
$100,000 an episode...

Teachers hardly make minimun wage. Even if we paid them $100K, they don't
know _how_ to teach (besides being beholden to the unions). Further, even
those who LOVE to teach, still miss HOW the human mind learns and grasps
information in the form of concepts. That's why most all of "education" is
now BY ROTE.

Bull****. You don't even bother to slip in a weasely "most"; you simply
tar all teachers with your calumny.

I won't deny that there are a significant number of teachers whose ability
to teach is questionable, but many teachers actually give a damn about their
students, doing their best to *teach*. Oh, and "rote learning" is not so
nearly ubiquitous as you would claim.

Your tirade is so full of manure that it is laughable -- or would be if
you weren't expressing a range of opinions that are painfully common.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old January 20th 04, 04:28 AM
Richard Hertz

huh?

what basis are those claims made by?

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Judah" wrote in message
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

Old January 21st 04, 09:52 PM
Dude

Teachers I have talked too care less about the money and more about the fact
that they have ZERO control in the classroom. The students have a right to
do whatever they please wthout recourse. Only the best leaders are capable
of controlling a classroom through force of personality. Enough of those
people might be recruited with lots more money, but maybe not.

The quicker solution is to either bring back corporal punishment and
expulsions, or go with vouchers that will allow a free market to separate
the children of idiots from the children of responsible parents.

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Judah" wrote in message
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in
:

Old January 17th 04, 08:49 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:26:47 -0800, David H wrote:

Here we go again....

Tonight the CBS Evening "News" [sic] ran a story about the apparently
drunk pilot idiot who busted Philadelphia's airspace, buzzed a variety
of things and apparently was able to land his Cherokee despite be
hammered.

The CBS twist on the story? "We told you about the dangers posed by so
called general aviation...now this..."
They asked, "why weren't air force fighters scrambled to intercept and
shoot down this plane?"

Can you imagine the damage on the ground caused by an F-16 or 15
shooting down a low flying small plane over a populated area?
That would be a disaster no amount of spin could change. The public
outcry could easily cripple valid air patrols.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Hmmmm. OK, then why don't we just get the Army to shoot anyone
suspected of drunk driving?

Frigging morons.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old January 17th 04, 02:58 PM
Dan Luke

"Jim" wrote:
I think our liberal media is chastising the government for not
doing anything so they can chastise them again if they do.

It's got nothing to do with liberal or conservative: Fox was shrieking
as loud as the rest.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 17th 04, 05:59 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:
I think our liberal media is chastising the government for not
doing anything so they can chastise them again if they do.

It's got nothing to do with liberal or conservative: Fox was shrieking
as loud as the rest.

Dan, Your capacity for critical thinking and differentiation is
remarkable....when it suits your preconceived notions.

Old January 19th 04, 01:03 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:
I think our liberal media is chastising the government for not
doing anything so they can chastise them again if they do.

It's got nothing to do with liberal or conservative: Fox was shrieking
as loud as the rest.

Dan, Your capacity for critical thinking and differentiation is
remarkable....when it suits your preconceived notions.

Boy isn't that the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Teachers-are-
worthless-pieces-of-****. I suppose your opinion here is one of an
expert in the field.

yours,
Michael