2 Meter Radios

Old December 15th 03, 12:56 PM
Wayne Paul

"Lennie the Lurker" wrote in message
om...
"Tim Ward" wrote in message

Well, I found the test to cover such complex concepts as "Don't stick

your
head in a microwave oven", and "Don't stick your fingers in the light
socket". I found a test site on a Wednesday, my wife and I studied the
question pool the rest of the week, and we both passed on Saturday

morning.
Perhaps it's harder now. It's certainly not as expensive as ninety or a
hundred bucks to take the glider written.

Then you wonder why QCWA members don't respect the newer hams. My
test was free, BTW taken at a FCC field office, (SF) and with a 13 WPM
code requirement. From what you describe, a novice in 1963 would know
more than you were expected to. BTW, one week after becoming WB6EOQ,
I took and passed the FCC Second Class Radiotelephone. (P2-12-8015)
Course, that's back when we had to know something. Novice was limited
term, two years, no renewal. General had all current priviledges,
Extra required a very stiff technical test, 20 WPM, and minumum of
five years with a lower class license. Three months after getting the
first station license, I became WA9JTF, from 1963 to 1988 when I let
it expire. Too many appliance operators that couldn't have figured
an 80 meter dipole for themselves. Still have my J-37 and D-104,
although I doubt that you'd recognize either one of them. Used to
amuse myself by building 7 to 10 element yagi's for 2 meters. Guess
no body wants to do anything for themselves anymore.

Times have changed. No more test question on neutralizing triode amplifier
circuits, etc. However, I still am running my old homebuilt equipment and
building antennas.

Wayne
W7ADK
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old December 15th 03, 08:56 PM
Lennie the Lurker

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message ...

Times have changed. No more test question on neutralizing triode amplifier
circuits, etc. However, I still am running my old homebuilt equipment and
building antennas.

Could explain why the ham bands and 11 meters don't sound any
different now.

(.._ ... . _.. _ --- --- .--. . .-. .- - . -- --- --- -. -.. ---
...- .- -.-. . --- -. ..---)
Old December 17th 03, 06:41 AM
Tim Ward

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

[...]

Fortunately, I do not require your respect in order to use 50 MHz and up.
The QCWA members I am acquainted with are generally happy when someone takes
up the hobby for any reason, and either don't share your disdain, or are at
least polite enough not to mention it.
Just as you found no need to fly XC, or fly high performance sailplanes, I
have little interest in HF or CW.
I'm glad you were able to keep your key and your mike. Perhaps someday
you'll be a ham again, and be able to use them.

Tim Ward

Old December 17th 03, 12:50 PM
David Kinsell

"Tim Ward" wrote in message ...

Well, I found the test to cover such complex concepts as "Don't stick your
head in a microwave oven", and "Don't stick your fingers in the light
socket".

Hope they don't throw in questions like "What's the best voltage to use
with a 14 volt radio?". Not one glider pilot in ten could figure that one out.

Old December 17th 03, 10:09 PM
Lennie the Lurker

"Tim Ward" wrote in message ...

Fortunately, I do not require your respect in order to use 50 MHz and up.
The QCWA members I am acquainted with are generally happy when someone takes
up the hobby for any reason, and either don't share your disdain, or are at
least polite enough not to mention it.

If one compares the ham bands as they were even twenty years ago with
the morass of garbage they have now become, you would understand my
disdain. If one understands that it once was considered a sign of a
dedicated amateur to BUILD his own equipment, you would further
understand the disdain. I operated all bands from 80M though 220mhz
bands, using mostly homebuilt or converted surplus until the years
1980 through 1988, at which time I aquired a nice Collins 75A-1 and
Johnson Viking II CDC. NEVER was any brand on any of my antennas,
including the array for 2M moonbounce.

When they reinstate the technical and regulation portion of the test
to what was required, and bring back the CW standards required at that
time, I MIGHT think about reinstating my license. As long as the rice
box and the brick are the norm, not much of interest there. What is
in place now is NOT what The Old Man had in mind when he brought the
amateurs cause before the legislators. (Hiram Percy Maxim for those
that don't know.)