Simulated Engine Outs

Old February 13th 04, 04:38 AM
BoDEAN

Default Simulated Engine Outs

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Old February 13th 04, 05:18 AM
Greg Esres

I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1 notch of flaps. Not as hard
on the engine

All of our trainers make it WELL past TBO, in spite of being brought
to idle all the time.

I'd be concerned that some of your trainees, when faced with a real
engine out, will throw in a notch of flaps.

Old February 13th 04, 06:08 AM
Bob Gardner

News to me. In 30 years of instructing I never failed to simulate engine-out
in a single by any means other than going to idle; the Cherokees at the
school where I taught for 7 years routinely had their engines go to 2500
hours.

Bob Gardner

Old February 13th 04, 07:42 AM
Ditch

I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

doing 60kts at idle isn't extremely hard on engines, either.
Now, if it is some super-duper turbo charged 350hp engine and you are cruising
at 200 IAS and pull the throttle to idle from a high power setting...there
might be some problems. At least that is what I have heard. Not something I
have experimented with.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old February 13th 04, 07:42 AM
BTIZ

you don't get much of an "engine out" at 1500RPM

sort of builds a false sense of security of the seemingly good glide ratio

BT

Old February 13th 04, 12:57 PM
Cub Driver

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Crikey, the Cub will pretty much fly at 1500 rpm.

I bring it back to the stop. Then I goose it every couple or three
minutes--I've never noticed how frequently.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 13th 04, 02:20 PM
EDR

In article , BoDEAN
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

It's much more exciting to pull the mixture!
Old February 13th 04, 02:43 PM
Big John

bodean

Probably one rational behind keeping engine warm is that if you go to
idle and glide a long time the engine will cool down. You then slap on
full power and the cylinders are hit with a high temperature all of a
sudden.

By keeping 1500 rpm and putting down partial flaps you simulate
aircraft performance with engine out for practice (and MAY reduce your
possibility of engine problems???)

However from posts on NG you see a number who just pull back to idle
to sim engine out practice with no problems.

Of course idle engine will not duplicate aircraft performance with
dead engine. 1500 rpm and the appropriate amount of flaps will give
you very close to actual performance if you lose the engine so you are
practicing like you will fly (a good thing) with dead engine.

I'm assuming you shoot for the middle of the field (landing area)
until you see you have it made and then slip off the excess altitude?

An ADVANCED method to lose the excess altitude is to slow the bird
down (behind the power curve) and pick up a high sink rate leaving
enough altitude to dump the nose to pick airspeed back up so you can
flare? Don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

So, youse kind of pays ur money and takes ur chances )

Big John

Old February 13th 04, 02:55 PM
EDR

In article , Cub Driver
wrote:

In small high wing planes (Ie 172, 152, 150) do you do/teach pulling
throttle all the back to idel? I've been told bring it to 1500 RPM, 1
notch of flaps. Not as hard on the engine

Crikey, the Cub will pretty much fly at 1500 rpm.
I bring it back to the stop. Then I goose it every couple or three
minutes--I've never noticed how frequently.

John, you have to remember that modern instructors do not teach
"clearing the engine" as we were taught with the Champs, Cubs, etc.
Old February 13th 04, 03:25 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I was demonstrating engine outs last sunday... Temp was about 4F... Taxiied
all the way in and shut down - and the blades went into feather on both
engines... mutter mumble..
Restarted shaking, quaking and banging until the blades unfeathered Ran
the engines up to 1500 to set the locks, idled, and then shut down...
*^(%#$@ blades feathered again... really mutter, mumble and other anglo
saxon entreaties
Started up again shake, quake and rattle - entire airport now watching and
pointing once the blades unfurled ran the engines up to full throttle for
20 seconds each, idled, and shut down... Stayed at flat pitch finally.. The
feathering pins were stiff in the cold and once retracted, the usual 800 rpm
not enough to sling them back out... Be careful about simulated this or
that in extreme temps..
denny

"Cub Driver" wrote in I bring it back to the