Standard Jantar wheel brake assembly

Old April 12th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Standard Jantar wheel brake assembly

Does any have, or could anyone take a picture of the port side of of the main wheel on a Standard Jantar 41A? I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the trick to get it back together and adjusted correctly.

Thanks!
Old April 12th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lots of luck, it's a nightmare involving 2 clutch type plates that are moved together when brakes are requested. I could never get anything better than minimal braking.........recommend changing over to a Tost assembly or a hydraulic retrofit.
JJ
Old April 12th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:02:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does any have, or could anyone take a picture of the port side of of the main wheel on a Standard Jantar 41A? I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the trick to get it back together and adjusted correctly.

Thanks!

If it's the same wheel/brake as a 48-3 or a 59 then I can take some pics of the one I have, though it's no longer on the ship. That thing was simple enough assemble but I never found an adjustment point strong enough for the brakes to actually work without grabbing while not engaged.

It's a neat idea how it works in general but a poor design as applied and probably inappropriate on a sailplane. The wheel is allowed to 'float' on the axle to allow both clutch/brake plate things to engage equally even though it's actuated from one side. This also means if you do a taxi turn after landing but still able to keep the tail off the ground the brake can grab from the side load, with potential for a tail slam.

The only effective adjustment I made was to convert to a 5.00x5 Clevelend hydraulic. The biggest part of the job was the fork. Had to cut off the lugs that trap the brake plates to remain stationary, as well as machining a flange for the caliper and having it welded it on. Also needed an axle spacer/adapter and a bracket/lever for the master cylinder. Uses the same brake lever in the cockpit... except now it actually works.

If there's a Tost kit for it that's probably easier and way better than the stock contraption, but iirc that wheel was smaller and I didn't want to lose ground clearance. I have drawings of the parts that were made and specs for what was bought if you wanted to go that route.
Old April 13th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 11:36:50 AM UTC-7, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

Yes - an undocumented feature of the Jantar brake! A sharp turn, including a half-ground-loop caused by a wing-tip snagging high grass, actuates the brake quite sharply. You may end up with some gravel rash on the nose, but it may save you a broken boom. I did this experiment on a Jantar-1!

Mike
Old March 10th 19, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about fixing the wheel so that it doesn't travel on the axle? Only one shoe would apply pressure, maybe not enough to raise the tail...good compromise?
Old March 15th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Better yet - a split washer or spring either side of the wheel. Sized right so that shoe disc can compress it as well, but would prevent wheel from binding without brake application. Experimental a/w certificate allows such experimentation...
Old March 16th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 5:54:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...Experimental a/w certificate allows such experimentation...

If it's experimental, I can put a Matco hydraulic disk brake unit in for you. Very effective yet progressive braking action. It will put the glider on its nose, but only if you want.

--Bob K.
Old April 3rd 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Fink

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 10:04:01 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 5:54:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...Experimental a/w certificate allows such experimentation...

If it's experimental, I can put a Matco hydraulic disk brake unit in for you. Very effective yet progressive braking action. It will put the glider on its nose, but only if you want.

--Bob K.

what would the cost be?
Old April 5th 19, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I'd have to see the glider to work up a proper estimate. But the ballpark is probably around $1500 installed and ready to use.

-Bob K.
Old April 6th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Quote "Experimental a/w certificate allows such experimentation... "

Not necessarily. Read the operating limitations to see what it says about the maintenance requirements for the aircraft.