Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Old March 11th 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 8:36:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
AS wrote on 3/10/2019 9:44 AM:
All this brake/bearing/tire burning up could be drastically reduced by installing a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system with a temperature warning. The alarm would go off way before you would see smoke because the heat transfers into the air of the tire quickly. Mine is so sensitive that it will react to the trailer rolling on black-top vs. light concrete surfaces.

What brand TPMS did you get? I very much doubt the externally mounted (screw onto
valve stem) ones I use react quickly to internal temperature changes. Of course,
if the internal temperature goes up, the pressure will go up proportionally, and
that does immediately show on the TPMS.

Hi Eric,

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed one that can handle eight wheels.

Uli
'AS'
Old March 11th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour.

Not true! Most glider trailers have been approved for 100km/h by now. In that case, they must place a white, round plaque or sticker with a black '100' on the tail end to indicate to the cops that they are not speeding when doing 100 with that trailer.

However, the approval to 100 Km/hour is only 62 MPH.
In the USA speed limits on the Interstate highways are 65 to 85 MPH.
My point is that many of us are driving too fast to rely on just a brake system . . . adding substantial chains might help save your sailplane at all speeds.
Old March 11th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After a number of brake incidents over the years, I added a TPMS to my Cobra trailer last summer before I drove from NJ to TX (Bellacorp from Amazon). It worked as advertised most but not all the time (initially sensors would stop reporting but tightening them on the valve stem mostly resolved that).. I could see the difference in tire pressures and temperatures throughout the day, on dark vs. light pavement, and sometimes even from one side of the road vs. the other (angle of the sun). I didn't see much difference nor did it set off an alarm when the trailer brakes locked on after a hard stop. The temperature didn't climb all the way up to dangerous; I didn't drive very far before I stopped to check and then, a few miles farther, to disable the brakes. But maybe a really hot drum/brake hardware/spindle/bearings assembly, such as would have been the case if I hadn't pulled off quickly based on experience, would have goosed the temperature/pressure alarms. I suspect I would get a warning if the brakes locked on but possibly not in time to save the bearings. That's why I carry a full set, including grease seals, available online from several sources.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old March 11th 19, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 9:12:36 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:

By the way, I no longer drive "straight through." Did it once in 1969, Marfa, Texas to Miami, Florida -- never again! Even as an indestructible 18 year old I was worthless and unsafe on the next day's drive, the last 400 miles to home.

You mean you didn't have a Robert Drew Productions film crew to keep you company on the way home?
Old March 12th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Other differences between towing glider trailers in Europe vs. the United States include the (mostly) smaller tow vehicles and lower speeds. Lighter weight and shorter wheelbase tow vehicles can have their stability overcome by trailer sway dynamics, thus the lower speed mandate. It is common in the US to tow with a full size pickup or large SUV, which are less available in Europe due to traffic congestion, higher gas prices and societal acceptance. For all you hear about the "Autobahn," remember that it is regulated quite severely as to what vehicles are allowed, and the total length is only 12,996 km (2017). The US Interstate system reaches 77,840 km (2016) with speed limits from 65-85 MPH. Higher speeds and longer point to point distances in the US with trailers designed for the European traffic environment require more frequent monitoring of the running gear, including axles, brakes and the European mandated "safety" surge brake systems.

Not complaining, though. I like my 1981 Cobra trailer, but my 2000 Ranger barely keeps up with traffic on the Interstate with it in tow. The trailer bearings, tires and brake system do require a certain amount of TLC to keep everything working properly. I see a LOT of people dragging valuable gliders around in poorly understood and abominably maintained trailers.
Old March 12th 19, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 8:27:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:

(…)
For all you hear about the "Autobahn," remember that it is regulated quite severely as to what vehicles are allowed, and the total length is only 12,996 km (2017). The US Interstate system reaches 77,840 km (2016) with speed limits from 65-85 MPH. (…)

The length you quote is for the "Autobahn" system in Germany alone. For all the European Union it is 76,823 km (2016 as well), so about equal to the US. Considering intensive expressways construction in Eastern Europe it may very well have exceeded the US length by now (2019).
Old March 12th 19, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

One Cobra I bought had a light on the front that would go on if the trailer's running lights were on and the hand brake was engaged.
Wasn't the tidiest installation, so it was removed. No photos taken.
Essentially a microswich actuated by a tab on the brake rod from the tongue.
Jim
Old March 12th 19, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Yep, chains are mandatory here in Australia, Ive got two super heavy duty safety chains on my trailer. Cheap, simple and virtually fail safe,
We don’t have to have brakes on trailers under 750KG.
Old March 12th 19, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 12 mars 2019 05:14:15 UTC+1, Tom BravoMike a écritÂ*:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 8:27:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:

(…)
For all you hear about the "Autobahn," remember that it is regulated quite severely as to what vehicles are allowed, and the total length is only 12,996 km (2017). The US Interstate system reaches 77,840 km (2016) with speed limits from 65-85 MPH. (…)

The length you quote is for the "Autobahn" system in Germany alone. For all the European Union it is 76,823 km (2016 as well), so about equal to the US. Considering intensive expressways construction in Eastern Europe it may very well have exceeded the US length by now (2019).

You seem to confuse Europe with Germany. Speed limit in France is 130 kph, in Italy it's 120 kph. I usually set my speed control at 120.
Yes, European cars tend to be smaller and lighter than US cars, but in contrary to the US we have engineers building them so that they drive well. The drivetrain is adapted to European conditions and drivers, and the cars are much more stable (people liking to drive fast on narrow and curvy roads) than any of the US cars I rent while on the wrong side of the pond.
Old March 12th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Struthers

I have towed large and heavy trailer combinations all over the UK since the

age of 17 (40 years now) and not once have I had a brake issue or for that

matter a tyre issue. We don't use chains and to be honest I not sure I
would want them as the swing of a trailer having "broken away" would
likely cause the towing vehicle to have its own accident. That I would
rather
avoid. Out of interest how many of you have had a trailer break away from
the tow vehicle and what was the cause?