Remote Searching Ideas...

Old September 14th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default Remote Searching Ideas...

I looked at a number of the images in a very minor attempt to help
search for Fosset.

We all know this scenario may come again one day so I'll offer a couple
of my thoughts on how to possibly make this more useful in the future.
I want to commend the fine folks who helped make this remote search a
reality with such very little time. A very impressive task in itself.

1. Sure would be nice if the new .kml file could be overlayed with a
single watermark or other feature. That way a person searching could go
to a set of coordinates. If you see the big red star, blue X, whatever,
then you can verify that you're actually working with the "current" data.

2. Automatic settings. I didn't turn off terrain on the first few
pictures and that really made a big difference. It would be nice if
there was a way to force the google earth settings somehow.

3. Probably like others, I eventually left the single coordinate search
and started scrolling. I noticed that I like best to be slowly
scrolling North to South or South to North. Vertical strips in this
fashion would allow for more time to be spend searching vs. going back
and getting the next coordinates.

4. Finally, it would be great if google earth could monitor the
"searched area" that a person viewed and allow that to be sent back to
HQ via email, etc.

None of these are small tasks and I'll bet there are other good or
better ideas as well.

Gary
Old September 14th 07, 10:22 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

The designers could put the reply boxes (no, there is nothing here / maybe here, please look closer) for HITs higher up in the screen, cancelling the need to scroll down to them every time.

Got me a sore finger, that did!

Excellent work from them all around, this technology may change the way we search for people forever

Its nice they have updated the samples pics, the original had me looking for something the size of the spruce goose!
I figured (finally) by doing a manual measure on the screen that I really had to look harder.

I have no doubt software is currently being written to check for straight-edged/off-colored/size-specific targets within a search.

bagger

OLC Searching Jack Soaring 2 August 19th 05 05:43 PM
Searching for clues... what can be seen from an F-16??? Neil Gould Piloting 9 July 7th 05 08:35 PM
Searching For The Right Airplane NewsBOT Simulators 0 February 18th 05 09:46 PM
Searching for Peter Hudson jorge Rotorcraft 0 August 12th 04 03:29 PM
Searching for ASW 24WL Benjamin Bauer Soaring 0 April 22nd 04 08:14 AM