Mackinac Island

Old July 14th 05, 03:26 AM
Montblack

("Steven P. McNicoll" wrote)
Absolutely, and by his own admission. He said he lived under the bridge
for eighteen years.

Doh! :-)

Montblack
“Building the Mighty Mac” is a 50 minute documentary that's been playing on
TV recently.

Old July 14th 05, 04:00 AM
Jon Kraus

I have never heard of LP folks being called Troll's... Funny!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
443H @ TYQ

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Jon Kraus - Troll?

Old July 14th 05, 04:00 AM
Frank Stutzman

Ok, so I've never flown in to Macinac. I do have a fair personal
relationship with the place, though.

10 years ago this September I asked my wife to marry me on the front
garden of the Grand Hotel. September 5th was her 30th birthday and I had
to sort of stall the momentous occasion until after midnight so I could
propose on her birthday.

We did stay one night at the Grand Hotel. That was the most I ever paid
for a hotel room of rather so-so quality. It was probably their most
inexpensive room, but if I remember correctly it was something like $300.
Another $200 for dinner. It was a great dinner if you are into the formal
dining kind of experience.

We did rent a tandem bicycle while we were there and went around the
island. Not as quaint as the horse thing, but we aren't horse people (my
wife is actually allergic). I'd think this would be the best way to get
around unless you were hauling luggage.

And, yes, I've seen "Somewhere in Time" way too many times. At least
yearly, unless I fall asleep in the middle of it. Not really a movie that
I can work up much excitement about. However my wife (as 12 year old)
has a tiny walk on part in it, as does my step father-inlaw. My
mother-inlaw did a considerable amount of the costuming for it.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old July 14th 05, 04:02 AM
Jon Kraus

I quite sure some folks here don't like my opinions, but I have never
been called a Troll before!! :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Montblack wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll"
[snip]

Troll.

Jon Kraus - Troll?

Somewhere in Time (1980)
I remember not liking this Christopher Reeve movie for reasons other
than it being a chick flick - don't recall exactly what was lame about
it though. Hmm, I think it was impossible to follow - by the time you
figured out who was who, you no longer cared.

Montblack

Old July 14th 05, 04:21 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Montblack" wrote in message

“Building the Mighty Mac” is a 50 minute documentary that's been playing
on TV recently.

There's a neat little Mackinac bridge museum in the upper level of a pizza
parlor in Mackinaw City. It plays a film on the building of the bridge as
well, perhaps the very same one.

Old July 14th 05, 04:49 AM
Howard

If you want to take a horse drawn carriage from the airport, call the
airport (122.7) from about 10 minutes out and they'll call for one for you.
Otherwise you may wait a while.

Howard Neff
Cherokee Six N1BQ

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
. ..
The wife and I are contemplating a trip up to Mackinac Island, Michigan
the last weekend in August. Have any of you been there (flown or
otherwise)? If so any recommendations for lodging , eats, etc...

I looks like it will be a really neat flight up there and it is kinda like
stepping back in time.

I lived in Michigan for 18 years and never made it out of the Lower
Peninsula. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old July 14th 05, 05:03 AM
Dave Stadt

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Montblack wrote:

Jon Kraus - Troll?

You don't understand. People who live in lower Michigan are called

"trolls" by
other area natives because they live "under the bridge."

The UPers no doubt being the other area natives .

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Old July 14th 05, 05:06 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. ..

The UPers no doubt being the other area natives .

AKA those that live above the bridge.

Old July 14th 05, 07:27 AM
Charles Talleyrand

I fly to Mackinac Island all the time.

The landing fee is $10.

You land at the top of the island; it's a nice 1/2 hour downhill walk
to the town. You will walk through forest and see horses (and horse
poo) and bicycles. It's not hot (the forest keeps things things cool).

The town is fun, small, pretty, and has a great marina. Read the
island website to learn more. I recomend the horse drawn carriage
tour. The tour guides give a nice talk and the tour shows almost
everything except the inside of the fort.

The walk back to the airport is 1/2 hour uphill, or the horse-drawn
taxi is cheap. I always walk.

Fuel can be had at St. Ignace (right across the channel, cheap, nice).

The bridge is close and amazing.

All in all, a nice flight. And you will often see some amazing planes
parked on the island.

Old July 14th 05, 08:05 AM
Roger

Montblack wrote:

Jon Kraus - Troll?

You don't understand. People who live in lower Michigan are called

"trolls" by
other area natives because they live "under the bridge."

The UPers no doubt being the other area natives .

Actually I think it has transformed into Yupers, but same thing.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Drummond Island - way too long Denny Piloting 6 July 6th 05 01:24 AM
Beaver Island Denny Piloting 7 June 21st 05 05:32 PM
Madeline Island and Richard I. Bong Museum PIREP Jay Honeck Piloting 3 July 20th 04 03:21 AM
Dauphin Island PIREP Michael C Finke Piloting 4 May 18th 04 12:21 AM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM