NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 4th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

An employer not only has the right to impose a dress code on employees
-- he has a DUTY to do so.

Why?

In our college town, we've visited restaurants where you couldn't tell
the employees from the customers. College girls wearing peasant shirts
that showed their tatooed butts, no name badge, and no "we're here to
serve you" attitude translated into a single-visit, never to return.

In our hotel, our employee dress code is relatively liberal -- but it's
strictly adhered to. Our employees are required to wear either our
green "Alexis Park Inn & Suites" shirts, or a (supplied) aviation
themed Hawaiian shirt with a collar. In summer, khaki shorts are
allowed, but never cut-offs or blue jeans, and no t-shirts. A name
badge must be worn at all times.

The FAA banned khaki shorts. Why do you allow them?

Does it matter, since much of their work is on the phone? Hell, yes.
When a guest comes onto our property, we want them to be able to tell
the guards from the inmates, and we expect our employees to act
professional at all times.

If we expect this from hotel clerks, housekeepers, and waitresses, I
don't think it's too much to ask from our "professional" air traffic
controllers.

Would it matter what your employees wore if your guests never saw them?

Old September 5th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

An employer not only has the right to impose a dress code on employees
-- he has a DUTY to do so.

Why?

To prevent embarrassment, if nothing else. Some employees need more
guidance than others. In my years in the corporate world, on more
than one occasion "human resources" (or me) had to counsel employees
who were showing up for work inappropriately dressed. A codified
dress code removes the guess work, and most employees appreciate
knowing where they stand.

The FAA banned khaki shorts. Why do you allow them?

Because I can. We're a relatively casual, getaway-weekend type hotel,
and it's hot when we're working on the grounds, or checking the pool.

Would it matter what your employees wore if your guests never saw them?

I feel like I'm talking to my 16 year old son, but yes. If you've ever
heard "clothing makes the man", you'll understand what I mean. Looking
professional is the first step toward acting professional.

In the end, the point isn't what I like, or what you like -- it's what
the employer likes. If the FAA decides that it wants you to wear polka
dot clown suits every day, so be it. If you don't like it, you're
welcome to go work somewhere else.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 6th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-09-04, Jay Honeck wrote:
An employer not only has the right to impose a dress code on employees
-- he has a DUTY to do so.

In our college town, we've visited restaurants where you couldn't tell
the employees from the customers. College girls wearing peasant shirts
that showed their tatooed butts, no name badge, and no "we're here to
serve you" attitude translated into a single-visit, never to return.

In a customer facing, customer service job what you wear drastically
affects your performance because it alters customer perception.

In a job where you're never ever seen by a customer, what you wear
simply doesn't matter. The employer merely has a duty to insist that
employees don't dress in a way offensive to other employees.

Old September 6th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

In a job where you're never ever seen by a customer, what you wear
simply doesn't matter. The employer merely has a duty to insist that
employees don't dress in a way offensive to other employees.

I believe it's been established that ATC faciliities are subject to
visits by tours, VIPs, Senators, etc., without notice.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 6th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The employer merely has a duty to insist that
employees don't dress in a way offensive to other employees.

.... or that other employees don't get offended at how employees dress.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 7th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
The only thing that is ridiculous in that story is that people are not
free to dress as they wish. So much for the land of the free.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here -- and I've read a
LOT of goofy stuff over the years.

[...]

Ok, Jay,

Your employees know, when hired, what the dress code is. How do you
think they would feel if today you went to work and informed them that
from now on they would wear black-tie to work everyday. I bet you would
have a few very unhappy folks. If for years I could wear pants to
school and jeans on Friday (fairly standard for teachers around here)
and a new principal came in and mandated dresses (some school districts
still require women to wear dresses) I'd be VERY UNHAPPY.

Margy
Old September 7th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Your employees know, when hired, what the dress code is. How do you
think they would feel if today you went to work and informed them that
from now on they would wear black-tie to work everyday. I bet you would
have a few very unhappy folks.

Sure. So what?

As owner, I have a duty to run our business in the way I see best. If
it looks to me like our current dress code isn't working, and the new
government-built Marriott down the road is kicking our butt by dressing
their desk staff in bib overalls, well, I'll probably institute a
mandatory bib-overalls-dress code.

And, if the FAA thinks their operations are more professional by
requiring a minimum dress code from their employees, so be it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

Stefan wrote:
Bob Noel schrieb:

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

And even *if* they had interaction with the public: Who cares how they
are dressed? If they wish to work in a bathsuit and their hair coloured
green and blue, so be it, as long as they are doing their job well.

The only thing that is ridiculous in that story is that people are not
free to dress as they wish. So much for the land of the free.

Stefan

Old September 4th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:48 -0700, "
wrote in . com:

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

And if the terms of their employment are changed _after_ they are
hired, they are free to resist a new policy imposed upon them without
their prior agreement.

What would be your feeling if the bank decided to double your fixed
mortgage interest rate despite your not having had an opportunity to
agree to their change?

Old September 4th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

What would be your feeling if the bank decided to double your fixed
mortgage interest rate despite your not having had an opportunity to
agree to their change?

If I have a contract with the bank for a fixed rate for a number of
years, I expect them to keep the interest rate the same through the
period, since that's what the contract states, no?

In the matter of what to wear to work, I think it's silly for the FAA to
require the controllers to adhere to a certain dress code. I wonder if
the real reason for the dress code change is to torque someone.

In the matter of the union pushing their members to waste time and
resources to make a point, I think that it is likely to contribute
sourness to an already stressed relationship.

So both sides may be playing by the rules, but I'm not sure either is
contributing to improving the current status quo.

-jav