A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Introduction - returning from Germany to Georgia

Old November 12th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts
external usenet poster

Default Introduction - returning from Germany to Georgia

Hi All,

I only recently discovered this group.

I'm in the US Army stationed in Germany as a mobilized Reservist. I'll be returning home to Augusta, GA, the end of January. Shortly before I came to Germany in 2011 I did an add-on glider rating so I'd be able to fly while I was here "for a year" that has turned into two. I've discovered how much fun and how rewarding gliding can be.

I have little gliding/soaring experience in the US - only the private before I came over and commercial while I was home on leave last spring. I have about 70 hours and a total of just over 240 glider flights, split maybe 60/40 winch/aero tow. Most of my aero tows here have been for aerobatic flights.

I have virtually no experience gliding in the US other than the intensive and rewarding training.

In addition to the glider ratings I am a multi- instrument private pilot w/ just under 600 hours. I have Basic Ground- and Instrument Ground Instructor tickets. Gathering materials for CFIG now.

In Europe I've mostly flown ASK-21, ASK-18, and LS-4 with a bit of flying in an ASK-13, B4, and Cirrus K (aerobatic Cirrus from the early 80s).

I'm interested in learning cross country (SSA Bronze Badge so far), continuing with aerobatics, and becoming a CFIG. Home is Augusta, GA. A look at the SSA web site shows a number of clubs in the roughly 2-1/2 hour travel range from me. Cordele is south of me. Chilhowee about 4-1/4 hours away.

I'd like to get a single seat glider with some reasonable price/performance ratio - perhaps better than a 1-26 but staying under $25,000.

I enjoy writing. I have two articles submitted to Soaring now and ideas for a couple more.

So, all that to say, "I have very little experience with soaring in the US. What thoughts, advice, tips, etc. do the collective minds here have to share?" (Mostly about soaring life in general, please, not so much "this airplane if for sale now...)

In Army Writing we teach BLUF - Bottom Line Up Front. My bottom line is sort of at the end of a long intro. Sorry. Hope you made it to the question!

Terry
Old November 12th 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 12, 2012 4:26:30 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the US Army stationed in Germany as a mobilized Reservist. I'll be returning home to Augusta, GA, the end of January. Shortly before I came to Germany in 2011 I did an add-on glider rating so I'd be able to fly while I was here "for a year" that has turned into two. I've discovered how much fun and how rewarding gliding can be.

I have little gliding/soaring experience in the US - only the private before I came over and commercial while I was home on leave last spring. I have about 70 hours and a total of just over 240 glider flights, split maybe 60/40 winch/aero tow. Most of my aero tows here have been for aerobatic flights.

I have virtually no experience gliding in the US other than the intensive and rewarding training.

In addition to the glider ratings I am a multi- instrument private pilot w/ just under 600 hours. I have Basic Ground- and Instrument Ground Instructor tickets. Gathering materials for CFIG now.

In Europe I've mostly flown ASK-21, ASK-18, and LS-4 with a bit of flying in an ASK-13, B4, and Cirrus K (aerobatic Cirrus from the early 80s).

I'm interested in learning cross country (SSA Bronze Badge so far), continuing with aerobatics, and becoming a CFIG. Home is Augusta, GA. A look at the SSA web site shows a number of clubs in the roughly 2-1/2 hour travel range from me. Cordele is south of me. Chilhowee about 4-1/4 hours away.

I'd like to get a single seat glider with some reasonable price/performance ratio - perhaps better than a 1-26 but staying under $25,000.

I enjoy writing. I have two articles submitted to Soaring now and ideas for a couple more.

So, all that to say, "I have very little experience with soaring in the US. What thoughts, advice, tips, etc. do the collective minds here have to share?" (Mostly about soaring life in general, please, not so much "this airplane if for sale now...)

In Army Writing we teach BLUF - Bottom Line Up Front. My bottom line is sort of at the end of a long intro. Sorry. Hope you made it to the question!

Terry

Hi Terry,

There is no glider operation at Cordele. We at Mid Georgia Soaring Assn operate from Monroe, GA. Check us out and come visit. We operate weekends. We have 2 ASK21s, a G102 and a LS4. We are active in Bronze (and beyond) training . We have two SSA Master XC instructors on staff. We do hold a Badge and Record camp at Cordele each year.
http://www.soar-mgsa.org/postnuke/html/

Come see us!
Old November 12th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Lee
external usenet poster

Hi All,

Terry

I fly at Bermuda High Soaring in basically the middle of nowhere, SC. About 2.5 hours away. I think one member also comes from Augusta. The club has a Duo Discus which is good for cross-country instruction.

There are lots of nice gliders for $15-20k. Go to www.wingsandwheels.com/wantads1.htm to see what's out there.
Old November 13th 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 11/12/2012 2:26 PM, Terry Pitts wrote:
Hi All,

Snip...
I enjoy writing. I have two articles submitted to Soaring now and ideas for
a couple more.

Good on you!
- - - - - -

So, all that to say, "I have very little experience with soaring in the US.
What thoughts, advice, tips, etc. do the collective minds here have to
share?" (Mostly about soaring life in general, please, not so much "this
airplane if for sale now...)

Knowing not how you're accessing RAS, know it can be (clunkily) done via
Google Groups for posting purposes, but the REAL Google value is in the
Google-maintained RAS archives that seem to still go back to the days of Deja
News. I find the (still accessible) "old Google Groups" interface more
"searchably-useful" in this regard than the "new Google Groups" interface...

Welcome - to the sport and to RAS!

Regards,
Bob W.

Old November 14th 12, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 12, 2012 5:06:46 PM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:

Hi All,

Hi Terry,

There is no glider operation at Cordele. We at Mid Georgia Soaring Assn operate from Monroe, GA. Check us out and come visit. We operate weekends. We have 2 ASK21s, a G102 and a LS4. We are active in Bronze (and beyond) training . We have two SSA Master XC instructors on staff. We do hold a Badge and Record camp at Cordele each year.

http://www.soar-mgsa.org/postnuke/html/

Come see us!

I can vouch for the friendly folks at MGSA. Coming from a Yankee, that's saying something.

Erik Mann (P3)
New Joisey