Pinging Jim Morgan.....

Old March 29th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default Pinging Jim Morgan.....

As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com
Old March 30th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Mar 29, 6:33*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
stol wrote:
As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while *verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Hey Ben,

I'm obviously not Morg, but have some advice anyway...

Put the camera on a tripod for steadier shots.
Don't pan around a lot.

For what it's worth...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John Wayne

Thanks,, Thats a good idea and I do have a tripod too. I will keep the
panning to a very mininum.

Old March 30th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"stol" wrote in message
As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

I'll put some thought into it, and get back to you.

I'm glad to hear you doing this!
--
Jim in NC

Old March 30th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:30:22 -0700 (PDT), stol
wrote:

As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Might be better to add the audio later rather than trying to narrate
on the fly.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old March 30th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

wrote:

As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while *verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Might be better to add the audio later rather than trying to narrate
on the fly.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

I thought about that too. As soon as the NASCAR race is over I am
headed to the hangar to give this a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben
Old March 30th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"stol" wrote in message
As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

I think I would go through explaining through, in chronicle order.

Short bit on why you wanted auto power, and how you chose the engine that
you ended up with.
What had to be carefully calculated, to get CG and mounting to work out.
How would someone else go about deciding on the engine, ect. What had to be
changed to get it all to come together. Cowling, mounts, fuel system?
How about the modifications to the engine as compared to stock. Basic
engine statistics, and performance numbers, if you dyno'ed it. Any pitfalls
with those modifications. How do you instrument it.

What was planned for cooling, and did it work as planned? Same thing for
PSRU.
How do you usually run the engine, RPM's and oil and water temps. Cooling
problems are usually top items for new installations; how well does yours
work, and what conditions make it a problem. (long ground runs, high air
temps and climbing out, for example.

Make yourself a script of questions and answers. Keep everything short, but
not too short. Make it interesting. Perhaps you could get someone to
interview you, to keep it interesting. Some (a few) of the items you may
want to cut a short bit of camera work showing how you did something,
cutting into the middle of the interview.

Now dig into the cowling with the camera, and show the rest of the things
that were just discussed. How do you go about the PSRU adjustments, on the
one you chose. Any thing that had to be tweaked during the first 40 hours,
and same for the first year. What has to be messed with, during a normal
year of running it. What do you do for your yearly inspection?

Spend a little time bragging on your installation, but not too much. You
want this to be informational, educational, and captivating. Too much
bragging will make people turn it off, because nobody likes a bragger going
overboard
Give it a whirl. I like the tripod for some of the interview. If you have
a way to edit and cut between camera views and such it would be great, but
if not, just pause, an go on with the next view, but get the camera
stabilized before you turn it on, and as you stop for the next scene, leave
a short (2 or 3 seconds) pause on what you are leaving, to let the viewer's
brain to relax and assimilate the recent info, before the next scene cut
begins.

I would try to get it into 5 minutes, or 6 tops. Too long, and many will
not stick with it.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the final product!

Of course, if you don't like anything I just wrote, feel free to ignore it!
Jim in NC

Old March 30th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,

wrote:

As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while *verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Might be better to add the audio later rather than trying to narrate
on the fly.

I thought about that too. As soon as the NASCAR race is over I am
headed to the hangar to give this a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't record your rough voiceover while
you video the plane; it's useful, just not for the final product. And
shoot individual segments longer than what you think you might possibly
need; it's a lot easier to clip excess than trying to stretch and hold
it.

Sketch out a rough storyboard of what you need to show, with some rough
voiceover before you start shooting. And have fun.

(I spent the better part of five years doing multimedia video/3D
animated service documentation for a major server company...I think we
made most of the mistakes possible for that sort of thing, but
eventually worked it out.)
Old April 1st 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Mar 29, 4:30*pm, stol wrote:
As we chatted about a few weeks ago, I am about to start my
conditional inspection on the "beast". I think you idea of making a
short but sweet video of what I encountered during my auto engine
conversion is a good thought. I imagine taking an overall shot of the
plane, zoom in on various systems, all the while *verbally describing
what I did, what I didn't do, what worked, what didn't work kind of
format. I am open to suggestions on how to put together a tell all
video for other alternative engine junkies.... Fire away .

Ben Haas
N801BHwww.haaspowerair.com

Ok Guys.. The tape is shot and I am going to load it into my puter and
attempt to edit it. I have documented about everything that has gone
wrong and right with my experimental Zenith 801 homebuilt.

Jim, I am afraid it will run slightly over 5-6 minutes. :))... I
guess the best way for me is to tell all and then let each individual
fast forward as they see fit. I really see this as a good thing for
future alternative engine junkies. I did try to nararate [sp] it as I
went but that obviously won't cut it.. I am going to try to string the
video together, then add a voice over. Comments ??

Thanks guy,

Ben.
Old April 1st 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"stol" wrote

Ok Guys.. The tape is shot and I am going to load it into my puter and
attempt to edit it. I have documented about everything that has gone
wrong and right with my experimental Zenith 801 homebuilt.

Jim, I am afraid it will run slightly over 5-6 minutes.

That's OK with me. I kinda wanted to see more than that, anyway.

:))... I
guess the best way for me is to tell all and then let each individual
fast forward as they see fit. I really see this as a good thing for
future alternative engine junkies. I did try to nararate [sp] it as I
went but that obviously won't cut it.. I am going to try to string the
video together, then add a voice over. Comments ??

You might want to keep some of the live voice, if it works for that section.

I look forward to it.
--
Jim in NC

Pinging MIke Rappaport stol Home Built 0 June 7th 06 06:39 AM
Pinging: Dan C (NV, USA) [email protected] Soaring 2 May 2nd 06 04:49 AM
Pinging Jim Fisher.... Jeff Piloting 4 March 23rd 06 01:41 PM
Pinging Tommy Cooper Bob Chilcoat Home Built 0 September 30th 03 08:28 PM
Pinging Tommy Cooper Bob Chilcoat Piloting 0 September 30th 03 08:28 PM