what is a fender washer?

Old January 8th 05, 06:20 PM

Default what is a fender washer?

what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Old January 8th 05, 06:28 PM
John Kunkel

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

A fender washer has a larger than normal outside diameter for the size of
the center hole. The purpose is to cover the slotted adjustment holes
normally found in some fenders and body panels.

Old January 8th 05, 06:33 PM
jls

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Common name for a washer larger than an ordinary washer for the same
diameter bolt. It is used for special purposes and to spread the bearing
load, as on a wood or composite bearing surface.

Thus we use "fender washers" or "970's" on a composite bulkhead where we
are fastening a hydraulic accumulator or on a wooden bulkhead so as not to
crush the fibers.

Of course a "fender" washer may not be legal for aircraft use. Always use a
cad-plated AN 970 washer purchased from a reliable source.

groups trimmed

Old January 8th 05, 07:12 PM
Rich S.

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer?

A washer which has a larger ouside diameter than a "standard" washer,
possession of which can lead to your arrest by agents of the BATF.

Old January 8th 05, 08:00 PM
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)

Dear alanh_27:

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Just to add a little to John Kunkel's response...
They also help distribute loading, when the bolted joint is into/includes
sheet metal. Serves to stiffen up the bolted area.

David A. Smith

Old January 8th 05, 09:22 PM
carl mciver

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" N: dlzc1 D:cox wrote in
message news:rZWDd.23751$CH5.11854@fed1read01...
| Dear alanh_27:
|
| wrote in message
| ups.com...
| what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?
|
| Just to add a little to John Kunkel's response...
| They also help distribute loading, when the bolted joint is into/includes
| sheet metal. Serves to stiffen up the bolted area.
|
| David A. Smith

Sort of. Usually not very strong, so they tend to sink a lot if you
torque them down to a reasonable amount. I've brazed a smaller washer on
top of a fender washer to stiffen one up, just stacking them only goes so
far. Actually, I needed it to remove and replace some bearings from the
front axle of my 4x4 truck. Had a 5/8" allthread going the length of the
axle and you couldn't get washers the right diameter with a 5/8" hole in it.
Lots of wrenching going on that day!

Old January 8th 05, 11:39 PM

A little guy name Jose' who works down at my local car wash.
He's not tall enough to wash the top of the car, just the fenders.

Old January 9th 05, 01:44 AM
Blueskies

" jls" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Of course a "fender" washer may not be legal for aircraft use. Always use a
cad-plated AN 970 washer purchased from a reliable source.

groups trimmed

A hardware store washer will be just fine as long as the purpose and use is understood. This is the homebuilt forum,
right? Nothing illegal about its use at all....

Now safety is an entirely different matter....