New Year weight loss plans ???

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Year weight loss plans ???

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
news
The built bikes are assembled in the US though (although there are
almost no viable US-sourced components).

Yeah, it seems that even if you do get a frame that is made in the US, the
various other components probably aren't made there... I'm not sure what
this says about us, but I don't think I like it... Hell, I still ride an old
(i.e. mid 1980s) Schwinn Sprint from back when they were made in the US...
I'm not sure if all the parts were made in the US though...

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

".Blueskies." wrote in message
t...
The next question will be "Doesn't *anyone* make a car in the USA

anymore?"

Nawh... "Which is more patriotic, buying a Toyota made in the US or a Dodge
made in Mexico?"

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

It seems like all the ones I've seen are either (a) way over-priced or (b)
junk. And in at least one case, both.

I was at Sam's the other day and noticed that they had one of the Montague
Hummer folding bikes for less than $300... The Montagues advertised
elsewhere were at least twice that price... Not sure how good they are
though -- never had a chance to ride one...

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:l7vuf.457213$084.371904@attbi_s22...
If marketed as a convenience, or even as a safety device ("Never get
stranded again!") I believe that an affordable folding bike could become

the
next "gotta have" thing for the general population -- not just pilots.

Of course, you would need to replace the tires with the air-free urethane
tires so that when you need it, it wouldn't have a flat... You would have to
get the size down though... Current folding bikes are still to bulky for
most people to want to carry around with them all the time...

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
It's a romantic notion, but I don't think it's true. Most of us are
pretty lazy. I've got a friend who's 6' 5" of solid muscle, and he calls
AAA when he gets a flat tire. People don't want to put a bicycle
together and ride it down the freeway to get home. That's what cell
phones are for.

It's never made sense to me to wait a hour or more for AAA to show up when I
could change the flat myself in 5-10 minutes... Of course, I also keep a 2
liter bottle of water and some Lava brand soap in my car to clean my hands
afterwards....

Old January 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
It probably wouldn't be any lighter than an aluminum frame, though it
would have other advantages (wouldn't need paint, would have a far
superior fatigue life, though that's not a big issue with aluminum
based on the last half-century of anecdotal evidence). And by the
time you paid for the titanium tubes, you might be back to VW power.

Anyone for a wooden bicycle?
http://digilander.libero.it/felixpet...-di-legno3.jpg
http://www.ottavia.com/bike_catalog.html

Old January 3rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote in message

It's never made sense to me to wait a hour or more for AAA to show up when
could change the flat myself in 5-10 minutes... Of course, I also keep a 2
liter bottle of water and some Lava brand soap in my car to clean my hands
afterwards....

I've got Allstate's Auto Club Coverage and I've had to call them the last
time I had a flat not because I couldn't change the tire myself but because
there in no place large enough to put the removed tire in my Honda S2000.

Old January 3rd 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

It seems like all the ones I've seen are either (a) way over-priced or (b)
junk. And in at least one case, both.

I was at Sam's the other day and noticed that they had one of the Montague
Hummer folding bikes for less than $300... The Montagues advertised
elsewhere were at least twice that price... Not sure how good they are
though -- never had a chance to ride one...

I'm really not into talking down competitors' products, but the Hummer
bike is pretty marginal for those who'd actually plan to ride it any
distance. There are better folders out there, though they cost quite
a bit more (that inescapable law of physics / economy).

A couple options:

www.bikefriday.com
www.dahon.com

One of the problems with folders is that there might be a considerable
amount of rigging to get 'em ready to roll. For those of you who
regularly attach wings, that's not going to seem like an
insurmountable obstacle.

Mark "non-folding" Hickey
Old January 3rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

This is going to drive (no pun intended) my choice of aircraft some
day - I need a relatively fast 2-seater with enough room behind the
seats for a couple bikes and luggage. It helps that I own a company
that builds titanium bikes - less impact on W&B.

now bikes AND camping gear get a little too heavy on hot summer days...

Suddenly the Murphy Moose looks better...

Mark Hickey

Depending how fast you want a murphy elite might do it for ya as well.
I can fit 2 road bikes and luggage in my rebel quite easily but my
rebel is only fast when compared to a bike
Old January 4th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, but he's been running for years. He is thrilled that losing 50
lbs. has really improved his marathon time. He's also terrible about
running unless he's registered for a race so he usually runs one in the
spring and one in the fall. This year he's running 4 in the spring
(Phonix in two weeks!).

Margy

Cy Galley wrote:
Yes but Ron is into running BIG TIME.

"Margy" wrote in message

Montblack wrote:

(Necessary Aviation Content: Weight)
(Necessary Aviation Content - Part Deux: Piper entrance and egress)

Anyone looking to shed 'a few' pounds this year? If you've succeeded it
in the past, want to share your story?

Montblack
If food is my cocaine, I'm the Darryl Strawberry of weight loss plans.
(Mmm... strawberries)

Weigh****chers, go to the meetings, follow the plan, eat good food, but
pay attention to what you eat. I lost 20 Ron lost 50.

Margy