Bamboo Propellers

Old May 24th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

Default Bamboo Propellers

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...d/Chapter4.pdf

It seems to me after a VERY quick session of internet research that
bamboo, due to its high density and variability, may not be very
usable for aircraft structures. Good selection, grading, and using
the fibers similar to Microlam's use of conventional wood fibers -
might - produce an aircraft grade material. This probably would not
be cheap nor something an impoverished home builder could fabricate.

Makes nice cutting boards and floors!
=========================
Leon McAtee

Still testing materials for an improved version of
TPG..................
Old May 24th 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Veeduber[_2_]

On May 23, 8:45*pm, wrote:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...-10440027/unre...

Dear Leon,

After reading the report you've cited (Thank you) I am more wiling
than ever to carve a prop from bamboo.

Since I can't seem to open a Group dedicated to Bamboo, I can at least
open a file dedicated to that subject. It will be in the Chuggers-alt
Group.

-R.S.Hoover

Old May 24th 09, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:25:23 -0700 (PDT), Veeduber
wrote:

To All:

I believe we've made our point, albeit indirectly. Bamboo in the form
of planks is available. We still need more information with regard to
length and thickness. I will create a Bamboo Group to serve as an
archive for information as it is developed.

-R.S.Hoover

wot I'd like to know is not how strong the bamboo is but how strong
the bamboo nodes are. you know, the cell ends that occur about every
so many inches along the length.

Stealth Pilot
Old May 24th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...d/Chapter4.pdf

It seems to me after a VERY quick session of internet research that
bamboo, due to its high density and variability, may not be very
usable for aircraft structures. Good selection, grading, and using
the fibers similar to Microlam's use of conventional wood fibers -
might - produce an aircraft grade material. This probably would not
be cheap nor something an impoverished home builder could fabricate.

Makes nice cutting boards and floors!
=========================
Leon McAtee

Still testing materials for an improved version of
TPG..................

First, thanks for the link to a very interesting research result.

The report looked interesting enough to print out Chapter4 and the
conclusion for review later today--when I have committed to a real estate
open house even though it *really* looks like rain!

However, even without having read more than a few lines, a couple of things
did catch my eye:

1) Carefull hand selection of materials is an unbearable burden for a
volume manufacturer; but not necessarily for a hobbyist--and people who live
where doing so is common practice tend to become very good at it. And I
might add that doing so might simply be convenient for someone who lives
some distance from suppliers, or someone who is simply in proximity to a
large selection of cheap material from which to conveniently select. I
might add that Bob has been advocating something of the sort for those
willing to select small quantities of straight grained soft woods from the
local Borg. That can often be quicker, more convenient and more
entertaining than ordering from one of the "aircraft grade" suppliers--so
poverty is far from the only motivation, but bamboo could easily be a very
low cost solution for someone who lives where it is locally grown.

2) The small sizes of clear grained material available may not be that
severe of a problem for a rimary glider or a very small and basic single
seat airplane. Actually, that "problem" could even be a blessing in
disguise by forcing, or at least strongly encouraging, the builder to put
redundancy into the structure--which might provide a greater real world
margin of safety than simply "overbuilding" with more typical materials.

3) It is just as possible to make too much of the weight issue as it is
to make too little of it. Here in the US, we tend to think of strict weight
limits in terms of FAR Part 103--and recently in terms of Light Sport--but
those specific weight and performance limitations are far from universal.
If you think of utility in terms of simply flying and safely landing your
aircraft, then it also gets a lot easier!

I am amoung those who tend to think of airplanes in terms of fast and
convenient travel over long distances, so I must admit that I bamboo is not
for me. But for any who might be interested in the entire treatise, here is
the link:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...2000-10440027/

Thanks to Leon for providing the reference, which I would never hae found on
my own.

Peter

Old May 24th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Veeduber" wrote in message
On May 23, 8:45 pm, wrote:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...-10440027/unre...

Dear Leon,

After reading the report you've cited (Thank you) I am more wiling
than ever to carve a prop from bamboo.

Since I can't seem to open a Group dedicated to Bamboo, I can at least
open a file dedicated to that subject. It will be in the Chuggers-alt
Group.

-R.S.Hoover

That might actually be a better choice, as you should get fewer unrelated
uses of bamboo.

Peter

Old May 24th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Veeduber[_2_]

On May 24, 8:00*am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
That might actually be a better choice, as you should get fewer unrelated
uses of bamboo.

Dear Peter,

It might also be more realistic.

In the portion of the report showing preparation of test samples, they
appear to have been taken from bamboo that was about 2" in diameter.
Then Stealth mentions the nodes occurring every few inches. What I am
thinking of is bamboo having a diameter of 6" and up, with a couple of
FEET between nodes.

I believe their are government entities in India and the Philippines
similar to our own Forest Products Laboratory, in that they are
dedicated to providing quantified data about their nation's forest
products. These are the people who should be able to provide the
information we need... once we track them down.

In India there is the 'Indian Academy of Wood Science,' which may be
of some use.

I should also point out that I am not locked in to the idea of bamboo
propellers. But I have seen some bamboo of remarkable size growing
like weeds. The stuff is probably too heavy to be used for longerons
and the like but it may be useful as propeller-carving material.

-R.S.Hoover

Old May 25th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Veeduber wrote:

In India there is the 'Indian Academy of Wood Science,' which may be
of some use.

I should also point out that I am not locked in to the idea of bamboo
propellers. But I have seen some bamboo of remarkable size growing
like weeds. The stuff is probably too heavy to be used for longerons
and the like but it may be useful as propeller-carving material.

-R.S.Hoover

Bamboo is put to some pretty incredible uses. A trip to Hong Kong or
even Beijing will leave you astounded. The buildings being built are
incredibly tall and surrounded with hand tied bamboo scaffolding. I
have walked under and on a lot of it at this point and I have taken many
pictures of it. I have also seen a lot of lifting engines put together
with it hoisting heavy electrical equipment.

Charles
Old May 25th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Veeduber[_2_]

On May 24, 7:48*pm, Charles Vincent wrote:
* ...The buildings being built are
incredibly tall and surrounded with hand tied bamboo scaffolding.

Dear Charles (and the Group),

In shipyards and aboard ships, too.

But the 'hand-tied' may be misleading. The ties are pre-bent hair-
pins of iron wire, about 3/16" thick. When being pre-bent they leave
a loop about an inch in diameter, while the throat of the hair-pin may
be as wide as 10" The hair-pins are slipped onto the joint and a
standard rigger's bar is inserted into the eyelet and the rigger's-bar
is turned, tightening the connection to whatever spec was required.

You're correct with regard to strength and their swiftness of erection
but of even more interest is their method of transporting the poles
used to build the structure, which is done by HAND, catching each pole
and passing it overhead to the next team.

-R.S.Hoover

Old May 25th 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:48:27 -0500, Charles Vincent
wrote:

Veeduber wrote:

In India there is the 'Indian Academy of Wood Science,' which may be
of some use.

I should also point out that I am not locked in to the idea of bamboo
propellers. But I have seen some bamboo of remarkable size growing
like weeds. The stuff is probably too heavy to be used for longerons
and the like but it may be useful as propeller-carving material.

-R.S.Hoover

Bamboo is put to some pretty incredible uses. A trip to Hong Kong or
even Beijing will leave you astounded. The buildings being built are
incredibly tall and surrounded with hand tied bamboo scaffolding. I
have walked under and on a lot of it at this point and I have taken many
pictures of it. I have also seen a lot of lifting engines put together
with it hoisting heavy electrical equipment.

Charles

dont be bamboozled by this. asian scafolding uses the strength of the
building for stability and support. western scafolding is usually self
supporting and free standing.
the underlying approach to the scaffolding is quite different
structurally.

btw why would anyone bother with bamboo when the same locales have
mahogany propeller woods as native forestry?
Old May 25th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Veeduber[_2_]

On May 25, 4:04*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

btw why would anyone bother with bamboo when the same locales have
mahogany propeller woods as native forestry?

Dear Stealth,

If valid, that's a good point. Does mahogany grow in proximity to
bamboo?

I've sent a number of queries to offices and individuals supposedly
involved in promoting forest products of India and other SE Asian
countries without receiving a single reply.

When I worked along-shore I was surprised to see that ships carrying
cargos from that part of the world used MAHOGANY for dunnage. Indeed,
some years later when stationed at Naval Air Station Alameda I build a
14 foot cat-boat. All of the solid lumber parts were made from
mahogany dunnage I salvaged from piles of the stuff down near the
carrier piers. (The mast was a section of Fir banister-rail; the boom
scarfed from pieces of pine.

-R.S.Hoover