A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Chukar's own account

Old April 22nd 15, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

Default Chukar's own account

This came from the SoarNV mailing list:

-----

On Easter Sunday, Bob Spielman, known as Chukar, was caught in clouds on a very lively wave day and had to bail out of his wingless glider. He visited us today. He is in good spirits and flying once again. He has his 1-26 and his Sparrow Hawk to keep him in the sky.

This is his first person account of what happened, reprinted here with his permission.

Oh, and we now call him Lucky Chukar.

Here is his account:

to my friends
i was going to fly my biggest flight in my ASW 27 today, aiming for 12 hours. i took off at minden at 7:30
and went north to Stead and turned back for clouds ad flew south to Mammoth and then went north almost to Susanville.
it was slow and as i was passing over Reno i went between 2 clouds which filled in suddenly. I should have had a neat attitude indicater like Gordo has and i tried to fly my Garmin but it was so rough that things went to hell in a hurry.
I was IFR at 14000' and i felt a stall and then the airspeed increased fast thru 160k and i heard 2 pops and the canopy broke
i shortly came out the bottom of the clouds in a spin at maybe 9-10000' and tried to break the spin but it didn't work and i looked and saw the left wing wasn't there so i knew that wouldn't work.
I unlocked the emerg canopy release, open my harness and went over the side.. i saw stuff flying thru the air (2 nanos,handheld radio. lunch etc) and couln't find my ripcord and thought it was gone but looked lower and found it and pulled it and it wasn't a very long ride down and i saw the glider fuselage going down below me.
i thought i was going to land on the CIRCUS CIRCUS roof but missed it an then i landed on the st mary hospital
roof but hoped my chute would snag the light pole. i hit the light and the chute snagged it and i ended up 10'
in the air. a reno cop pushed up on my feet so i could release my chute and slide down the pole.
HOW LUCKY I WAS.

I didn't go to the hospital but my son and daughter in law doctor told me i had to and they found a broken collar bone
and my right lung was collapsed so they had that fixed in an hour by 2 doctors who are in our air guard hospital.

i lost my phone so no service.

LUCKY CHUKAR
that ASW 27 was a beautiful glider.
Old April 23rd 15, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 22 April 2015 13:52:42 UTC+1, Bob Pasker wrote:

-----

On Easter Sunday, Bob Spielman, known as Chukar, was caught in clouds on a very lively wave day and had to bail out of his wingless glider. He visited us today. He is in good spirits and flying once again. He has his 1-26 and his Sparrow Hawk to keep him in the sky.

This is his first person account of what happened, reprinted here with his permission.

Here is his account:

to my friends
i was going to fly my biggest flight in my ASW 27 today, aiming for 12 hours. i took off at minden at 7:30
and went north to Stead and turned back for clouds ad flew south to Mammoth and then went north almost to Susanville.
it was slow and as i was passing over Reno i went between 2 clouds which filled in suddenly. I should have had a neat attitude indicater like Gordo has and i tried to fly my Garmin but it was so rough that things went to hell in a hurry.
I was IFR at 14000' and i felt a stall and then the airspeed increased fast thru 160k and i heard 2 pops and the canopy broke
i shortly came out the bottom of the clouds in a spin at maybe 9-10000' and tried to break the spin but it didn't work and i looked and saw the left wing wasn't there so i knew that wouldn't work.
I unlocked the emerg canopy release, open my harness and went over the side. i saw stuff flying thru the air (2 nanos,handheld radio. lunch etc) and couln't find my ripcord and thought it was gone but looked lower and found it and pulled it and it wasn't a very long ride down and i saw the glider fuselage going down below me.
i thought i was going to land on the CIRCUS CIRCUS roof but missed it an then i landed on the st mary hospital
roof but hoped my chute would snag the light pole. i hit the light and the chute snagged it and i ended up 10'
in the air. a reno cop pushed up on my feet so i could release my chute and slide down the pole.
HOW LUCKY I WAS.

I didn't go to the hospital but my son and daughter in law doctor told me i had to and they found a broken collar bone
and my right lung was collapsed so they had that fixed in an hour by 2 doctors who are in our air guard hospital.

LUCKY CHUKAR

Perhaps a relief that he does not mention opening the airbrakes, and finding that this did not save him (no mention of what he did between entering cloud and speed getting to 160k). I think the collective wisdom here has been that if you lose visual references and don't have instrument flying instruments which you trust, you should be pretty quick to open the airbrakes before the speed gets high. I was one who voted for in trim, hands and feet off, brakes open. I would pray that airspeed did not exceed positive flap limiting speed, otherwise I would be faced with a difficult decision on flap setting.
Old April 23rd 15, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

I would throw out everything you have got and DON'T LET GO OF THE STICK. The plane's stick free pitch stability is MUCH worse than its stick fixed stability. When you let go, you are a passenger, accepting whatever the upset brings you. Stay active, and aware of what is happening, and you have a chance. Even if Active is just holding the stick in one position. As to exceeding flaps down limit speed, I would rather have the drag and hope that it hangs together than not have the drag and be pretty well assured that it won't. If you have lost sight of the ground, drag is your friend and speed kills.

But, that is just me.

Steve Leonard

Old April 23rd 15, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 5:52:42 AM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:

-----

Here is his account:

to my friends
I unlocked the emerg canopy release, open my harness and went over the side. i saw stuff flying thru the air (2 nanos,handheld radio. lunch etc) and couln't find my ripcord and thought it was gone but looked lower and found it and pulled it and it wasn't a very long ride down and i saw the glider fuselage going down below me.
HOW LUCKY I WAS.

LUCKY CHUKAR

There is more to this story if you look at the GPS track that was being posted by SSA Tracker page. The glider covered over 70 km going down wind to avoid the closed gap to over the Dog Skins and then was penetrating upwind when the problem occurred. The canopy was still attached to the glider when it landed in a parking lot, so the emergency release did not eject the canopy. The second wing was finally found close by, it went through a roof and was found inside a building. Good thing none of these pieces hurt someone on the ground.

All the discussion about this accident has over shadowed the accomplishment of Jim Payne who was well prepared and did a amazing flight at just under 3000km on the same day. I believe it is really important to focus on how to prepare and execute a flight in these strong wave conditions, rather than dwell on how lucky one was to survive. Given most of the facts, surviving was pure luck being snagged 10 ft off the ground by a light pole at the edge of a 5 story building.

BG
Old April 23rd 15, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 04:52:26 UTC+3, Steve Leonard wrote:
I would throw out everything you have got and DON'T LET GO OF THE STICK. The plane's stick free pitch stability is MUCH worse than its stick fixed stability. When you let go, you are a passenger, accepting whatever the upset brings you. Stay active, and aware of what is happening, and you have a chance. Even if Active is just holding the stick in one position.

Where does this "let go of the stick" comes from? Never seen it in any glider flight manual. Is there some magical airplane that does right control inputs to get you out of trouble?
Old April 23rd 15, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Yes, it is called benign spiral...

Ramy
Old April 23rd 15, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 23:51:24 -0700, krasw wrote:

Where does this "let go of the stick" comes from? Never seen it in any
glider flight manual. Is there some magical airplane that does right
control inputs to get you out of trouble?

As I said in another thread, our (BGA-approved) cloud flying course says
to open the brakes and then use your hands and feet to hold rudder and
stick central - exactly the opposite of 'letting go of the stick'.

Mark: Chukar does say that he felt a stall and then the speed increased
rapidly to 160kts.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |
Old April 23rd 15, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot
external usenet poster

At 06:51 23 April 2015, krasw wrote:

control in puts to get you out of trouble?

The Hands-off Beggs/Mueller Emergency Spin Recovery Procedure
http://spirit.eaa.org/intheloop/arti...n_recovery.asp
Old April 23rd 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le jeudi 23 avril 2015 10:19:49 UTC+2, Ramy a écrit*:
Yes, it is called benign spiral...

Ramy

I think that the benign spiral is an urban myth when it comes to flying in a convective cloud, or descending through a cloud layer into a rotor.

The only excuse to let go of the controls is that you are busy to bail out.
Old April 23rd 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 4/23/2015 12:51 AM, krasw wrote:
I would throw out everything you have got and DON'T LET GO OF THE STICK.
The plane's stick free pitch stability is MUCH worse than its stick fixed
stability. When you let go, you are a passenger, accepting whatever the
upset brings you. Stay active, and aware of what is happening, and you
have a chance. Even if Active is just holding the stick in one
position.

control inputs to get you out of trouble?

For SSA members, check out the "Soaring" archive: November 1979, p. 28.

http://www.ssa.org/Archive/ViewIssue...nth=11&page=28

Attributed 2nd-hand to Einar Enevoldson (I couldn't find a direct writeup from
him, though maybe it's there); bullet 5 begins: "Take your hands and feet
completely off the controls..." The succinct article also contains "all the
expected caveats" known to the author at the time, while additional "benign
spiral mode" references within the archives elaborate on the points raised.

For many years (most of his career?), Einar Enevoldson was a NASA test pilot,
in addition to being a 3-diamond sailplane pilot, eventually sparkplug behind
the Perlan Project, and current world sailplane record altitude co-holder.

Bob W.