Strobes

Old December 1st 03, 01:01 AM
Jim Kellett

Default Strobes

Some years back there was an article (maybe several?) in SOARING magazine
about installing tip strobes on gliders ...

Anyone remember/know what issue(s) that was in? I'm researching collision
avoidance stuff (again, still . . gr)

(Boy, do I wish there was a good INDEX to Soaring! I've got every copy
since 1966 and a few going back to 1937, making a fantastic resource that's
darn near unusuable because there are no complete indices (and the few that
were printed back in the seventies and eighties are poorly organized . . .))

Jim Kellett

Old December 1st 03, 02:27 AM
Mark Zivley

Dick Johnson wrote one some time back, but I don't remember which issue.
Sorry. However, I believe he concluded that the distance at which the
strobe was noticeable during the day was so relatively short that there
was minimal benefit to the installation.

Old December 1st 03, 07:11 AM
bumper

The other issue is power consumption. The Whelan Cometflash strobes in my
Mooney draw about 7 amps at 12 volts. They're bright, perhaps even bright
enough to be effective in daylight. On the other hand, the stobes in my
Stemme draw only about 2 amps . . . nowhere near as bright, they would be
next to useless in daylight.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Jim Kellett wrote:
Some years back there was an article (maybe several?) in SOARING

magazine
about installing tip strobes on gliders ...

Anyone remember/know what issue(s) that was in? I'm researching

collision
avoidance stuff (again, still . . gr)

(Boy, do I wish there was a good INDEX to Soaring! I've got every copy
since 1966 and a few going back to 1937, making a fantastic resource

that's
darn near unusuable because there are no complete indices (and the few

that
were printed back in the seventies and eighties are poorly organized . .

..))

Jim Kellett

Old December 1st 03, 11:27 AM
Stefan

Jim Kellett wrote:

Some years back there was an article (maybe several?) in SOARING magazine
about installing tip strobes on gliders ...

We tried it at our field last year. The result was that we consistently
saw the glider long before the strobes... The problem is that you don't
have enough energy to power strobes that would really be seen.

Stefan

Old December 1st 03, 10:56 PM
Steve Hopkins

Ordinary strobes are, as has been agreed, not powerful enough to make
much of a contribution to visibility. However, a former glider pilot and
electronic engineer, Phil Manning, is developing an LED flash to perform
the same function. The "flashes" are of much higher intensity but of
much shorter duration than that emitted from a strobe so current
drainage is reasonable. Furthermore, as this is a cold light, the
casings can be moulded to conform with the glider thereby reducing any
extra drag. I suggest that anyone interested in his work contact him
directly at;-
Steve

Old December 1st 03, 11:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

Steve Hopkins wrote:

Ordinary strobes are, as has been agreed, not powerful enough to make
much of a contribution to visibility. However, a former glider pilot and
electronic engineer, Phil Manning, is developing an LED flash to perform
the same function. The "flashes" are of much higher intensity but of
much shorter duration than that emitted from a strobe so current
drainage is reasonable. Furthermore, as this is a cold light, the
casings can be moulded to conform with the glider thereby reducing any
extra drag. I suggest that anyone interested in his work contact him
directly at;-

Current strobes already have such a short duration I believe it is not a
factor; instead, the eye is just responding to the "total energy"
emitted by the flash. If I'm right, then a brighter, shorter duration
flash won't help any, and unless the LED's are more efficient at
converting energy to light (or have a more visible spectrum) than the
flash tubes used, there won't be any reduction in power required.

There may be other advantages, such cheaper, smaller, and lighter
circuitry because high voltages aren't required, and a more rugged unit.
A good test before planning to install them would be to try them near to
a conventional strobe in daylight, and start walking away until you lose
sight of one them! Let us know when some testing has been done.

Reducing the repetition rate is a simple way to cut current consumption,
and would be acceptable for typical glider speeds, unless regulation
prohibit it.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 2nd 03, 01:16 AM
Vaughn

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Steve Hopkins wrote:
There may be other advantages, such cheaper, smaller, and lighter
circuitry because high voltages aren't required, and a more rugged unit.

For what it is worth; police light bars, for which the best technology
has previously been stobes, are now available using LEDs instead. I haven't
seen them yet, but you have all probably seen LED traffic signals, they do a
great job, even in the brightest Florida sunlight, on a fraction of the
energy of incandescent lights. I hadn't thought of it until just now, but
LEDs may someday have real promise enhancing glider visibility.

Vaughn

Old December 2nd 03, 03:07 AM
Jim Kelly

Has anyone thought to try (very) reflective tape, perhaps covering
the nose area and leading edges of the vertical fin?

We would need to use a malleable material to adapt to the curvaceous
shapes but the sun glinting off these curved surfaces might just
work, thus saving on the energy required to use strobes, LEDs and
the like!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

. ..

Old December 2nd 03, 05:21 AM
tango4

Hi

Solarfilm, the heat activated model aircraft covering does a chrome finish
film. A couple of sections of this would probably be more effective than
'orange dayglo' that we currently use. The BGA did some empirical testing
and remarked that reflective film ( 3M mirror ) seemed the best solution.
( S&G Aug/Sep 2003 )

Perhaps we should all be flying polished HP18's!

Ian

u...

Old December 2nd 03, 06:38 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Steve Hopkins wrote:
There may be other advantages, such cheaper, smaller, and lighter
circuitry because high voltages aren't required, and a more rugged unit.

For what it is worth; police light bars, for which the best

technology
has previously been stobes, are now available using LEDs instead. I

haven't
seen them yet, but you have all probably seen LED traffic signals, they do

great job, even in the brightest Florida sunlight, on a fraction of the
energy of incandescent lights. I hadn't thought of it until just now, but
LEDs may someday have real promise enhancing glider visibility.

Vaughn

And reducing your domestic energy requirements.

Frank

Cherokee Strobe Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 20 November 2nd 04 02:42 AM
Strobe light usage Roger Long Piloting 4 August 7th 04 04:21 PM
Anti collision light mod for Piper Arrow 1968 model? Frode Berg Owning 4 May 20th 04 05:16 AM