A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year?

Old June 19th 05, 05:11 AM
tedstriker

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:11:12 -0500, Darrel Toepfer

Related (but slightly off the wall), with a venue the size of Oshkosh
fellow hams might consider Tiny Tracker .

(For non-hams, this is a man-portable GPS unit that periodically
transmits its location which is then displayed on a map. Very handy
for locating the body :-)

A friend sent me a link to this today:
http://findu.com
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html

I like the weather addons, but it gets kinda pricey real quick...

If I'm able to fly into OSH via homebuilt, isn't it legal to talk to
persons on the ground with handheld aviation radios from my plane, if
it's parked and I'm sitting in it? Anyone talking to another person on
the ground could say they were calling me and got each other by
mistake, which of course would be true. Not sure if you need to have a
station licence to talk on unicom. But I've heard those freqs. aren't
much worried about. The plane to plane freq. is 122.7 isn't it? But I
know some airports use it also.
Old June 19th 05, 05:12 AM
tedstriker

What does FRS stand for? is that those talk-about radios mostly
Motorola?
Old June 19th 05, 01:25 PM
Montblack

("tedstriker" wrote)
What does FRS stand for? is that those talk-about radios mostly
Motorola?

Yes.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/
FCC - Family Radio Service (FRS)

Montblack
Old June 19th 05, 03:33 PM
RST Engineering

If I'm able to fly into OSH via homebuilt, isn't it legal to talk to
persons on the ground with handheld aviation radios from my plane, if
it's parked and I'm sitting in it?

Yes, but the people on the ground can't talk back to you without a station
license.

Anyone talking to another person on
the ground could say they were calling me and got each other by
mistake, which of course would be true.

Not unless both people on the ground had a station license for the frequency
in question. No, sitting in your airplane on the ramp doesn't constitute a
ground station license.

Not sure if you need to have a
station licence to talk on unicom.

The aircraft is granted a station license as part of the certification
process for getting an N number. A ground station has a boatload of
paperwork to do to get a unicom license AND there is only one licensee at
any one airport.

But I've heard those freqs. aren't
much worried about.

Hear again. Start chattering on a unicom frequency and watch the fur fly.

The plane to plane freq. is 122.7 isn't it?

122.75, and it's not plane to plane. It is specifically AIR to AIR, so that
lets out chatter while on the ground. 122.7 is a Unicom frequency.

But I
know some airports use it also.

Really? Where?

Jim

Old June 19th 05, 03:42 PM
john smith

RST Engineering wrote:
Hear again. Start chattering on a unicom frequency and watch the fur fly.

Say what?
You're slipping in your old age Colonel.
("Here again" not "Hear again")
Eagerly awaiting your salty replay
Old June 19th 05, 03:59 PM
RST Engineering

No, Colonel, I said what I meant:

"But I've heard those freqs. aren't
much worried about.

Hear again. Start chattering on a unicom frequency and watch the fur

fly."

He said that he "heard" something about those freqs. I said, "Hear again",
which means listen one more time until you get it right.

{;-)

Jim

Old June 19th 05, 04:02 PM
john smith

RST Engineering wrote:
He said that he "heard" something about those freqs. I said, "Hear again",
which means listen one more time until you get it right.
{;-)

I suspected such a play on words, by my sense of humor clouded my judgement.
Old June 20th 05, 12:05 AM
tedstriker

But I
know some airports use it also.

Really? Where?

Jim

My home airport right here in Rock Hill, SC uses 122.7. KUZA

But I have to admitt, the idea of using handheld 760 channel aviation
radios as walkie talkies has always worried me. If a movement ever got
started where they were being used that way, I'd be afraid the FCC
might try to ban them or make their un-authorized use subject to even
worse fines and revocations. I've still got the STS 760VOR radio that
sold years ago and it works great. And after I figured out how to
replace the batteries without having to buy an expensive replacement
pack I like it even more. But the VOR radial funtion is pretty weak.
I'd hate to try and navigate a plane using it.
Old June 20th 05, 01:22 AM
RST Engineering

"tedstriker" wrote in message

But I
know some airports use it also.

Really? Where?

Jim

My home airport right here in Rock Hill, SC uses 122.7. KUZA

For plane to plane? I think not. You use 122.7 for Unicom, as it was
intended.

As to the FAA/FCC banning handhelds, wouldn't ya think before they did that
that they would pick one channel out of the 760 menagerie and declare it
"open season" for anything remotely RESEMBLING aviaition, including how to
find one another at fly-ins. Sheesh. One channel out of 760?

So we pick the least obnoxious of the lot and use it at Oshkosh. You got a
problem with that?

Jim

September Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery Additions Jay Honeck Home Built 0 October 11th 04 01:39 AM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Party Pictures Jay Honeck Home Built 2 December 30th 03 02:36 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Get-together details... Jay Honeck Home Built 2 August 3rd 03 04:31 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM