A Rec.Aviation FRS Channel @ Oshkosh this year?

Old June 20th 05, 03:59 AM
tedstriker

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:22:51 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

"tedstriker" wrote in message
.. .

But I
know some airports use it also.

Really? Where?

Jim

My home airport right here in Rock Hill, SC uses 122.7. KUZA

For plane to plane? I think not. You use 122.7 for Unicom, as it was
intended.

As to the FAA/FCC banning handhelds, wouldn't ya think before they did that
that they would pick one channel out of the 760 menagerie and declare it
"open season" for anything remotely RESEMBLING aviaition, including how to
find one another at fly-ins. Sheesh. One channel out of 760?

So we pick the least obnoxious of the lot and use it at Oshkosh. You got a
problem with that?

Jim

I was wrong about the plane to plane thing, I'm glad to find out it's
22.75.
I like the idea of picking a freq. to use for anything aviation. That
would be great! Now if we could get the FCC to go along with the
idea.....
NO problem with that at all. It's a great idea. The question is, why
is the FCC so tight with letting loose one of those 760 channels?
And what would it take to get things moving in the direction of
letting one freq. out of all those loose for that purpose
Old June 20th 05, 04:36 AM
RST Engineering

Well, they got burned with the 27 MHz Children's Band, good buddy, don'cha
know? They are loath to create that on the aviation band with idiots with
"hopped up raddios and linears" on the "good buddy frequency" and on the
pirate "freeband" aviation network.

I don't blame them. The USA citizenship has not played them well in any
"freeband" network they have created. Witness the garbage and obscenities
on channel 19 (et al) of CB. It is worse on the FRS channels. Why would
you expect it to be any better for a "freeband" channel in the aviation
band?

BTW, gang, it is looking better and better for 122.775 as "monitor"
channel...

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 05:53 AM
tedstriker

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:36:33 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Well, they got burned with the 27 MHz Children's Band, good buddy, don'cha
know? They are loath to create that on the aviation band with idiots with
"hopped up raddios and linears" on the "good buddy frequency" and on the
pirate "freeband" aviation network.

I don't blame them. The USA citizenship has not played them well in any
"freeband" network they have created. Witness the garbage and obscenities
on channel 19 (et al) of CB. It is worse on the FRS channels. Why would
you expect it to be any better for a "freeband" channel in the aviation
band?

Good point, it would ruin the freq. if the same garbage "lingo" eeked
into the aviation band. I'm curious though, I wonder what kind of
range and clarity a handheld 760 radio would have talking to another
one at an airshow? I know if you get too far apart in a shopping mall
with an FRS it gets hard to communicate. Are aviation handhelds far
superior in ground to ground range and clarity?
Old June 20th 05, 02:44 PM
RST Engineering

At VHF, it matters not what your power level or frequency is. "Horizon" is
everything. A one watt transmitter and a one microvolt receiver (fairly
typical of this sort of equipment) has a theoretical range of something on
the order of a thousand straight-line miles. "Straight-line" is the
operative word here.

We regularly talk to astronauts on the shuttle with a watt or two at both
ends. That is because we can both "see" each other in both an optical and
radio sense. Once I lose eye contact with the receiver, I'm pretty much
committed to losing radio contact as well.

The equation for "horizon" is given as: horizon (in miles) equals the
square root of the antenna height in feet times two. Let's presume two
handheld antennas, both at 6 feet above the ground. That's twelve feet of
antenna height. Twice that is twenty-four. Square root of twenty-four is
roughly five, so you might expect five miles of transmit range. In Iowa.
In a plowed cornfield. Put airplanes, buildings, people, walls, and any
other absorber into the mix and range decreases dramatically. In your
example of a shopping mall, once they turn the corner and put a concrete
wall (with the required steel rebar in it) between thee and me, range goes
to poop in a scooper. That's a technical term. You'll catch on after a
while.

From thirty+ years of running a ham radio on the field in Oshkosh, I feel
fairly confident in predicting that you would be able to talk from "Airshow
central" near the main arch to any corner of the field. However, trying to
talk from FondDuLac North (down at the approach end of runway 36) to the
North 40 (down at the approach end of runway 09) would be a stretch.

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 09:35 PM
Bob Chilcoat

The first suggestion was 122.575. Now we're talking 122.775. What's it
gonna be? I understand that someone's (HWMNBN'd) monitoring some likely
frequencies. Just let me know before the 24th when I hit the road. I'll
also plan to monitor FRS 3, but that's only for an alibi :-)

Now, what's the airboss frequency @ OSH?

Old June 20th 05, 10:07 PM
Scott

RST Engineering wrote:

The equation for "horizon" is given as: horizon (in miles) equals the
square root of the antenna height in feet times two. Let's presume two
handheld antennas, both at 6 feet above the ground. That's twelve feet of
antenna height. Twice that is twenty-four. Square root of twenty-four is
roughly five, so you might expect five miles of transmit range.

Huh? I lost the math. If both antennas are at 6 feet, wouldn't it
be the square root of 6 multiplied by 2? And I can't see
the formula you're quoting, but if there's no parentheses, I think the
sqr rt function gets done first, then the multiplication?? Details!

From thirty+ years of running a ham radio on the field in Oshkosh, I feel
fairly confident in predicting that you would be able to talk from "Airshow
central" near the main arch to any corner of the field. However, trying to
talk from FondDuLac North (down at the approach end of runway 36) to the
North 40 (down at the approach end of runway 09) would be a stretch.

More power, dude! Arr Arr Arr! A pair of 4CX250Bs might be in
order, but not exactly what I would call portable As a good law
abiding ham, I think you should set an example and recommend FRS.
Besides, it seems more people here would own some FRS units than
aviation handhelds...

Scott
N0EDV

Jim

September Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery Additions Jay Honeck Home Built 0 October 11th 04 01:39 AM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Party Pictures Jay Honeck Home Built 2 December 30th 03 02:36 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh Rec.Aviation Get-together details... Jay Honeck Home Built 2 August 3rd 03 04:31 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM