Cirrus and Lancair Make Bonanza Obsolete?

Old November 12th 03, 05:58 PM
Potential Bo Buyer

Default Cirrus and Lancair Make Bonanza Obsolete?

Why is the market for late model V35B's and F33A's so flat. The
economic climate (real and perceived) and 90's run-up have a lot to do
with it, I'll acknowledge that. But there seems to be something else
at work in this market.

Are the Lancair Columbia and Cirrus SR22 substitute products for the
4-place Bonanzas? (For the sake of this post V35B's and F33A's are 4
place not 6 place airplanes. Keep it real.) To be honest, if I had
300K + in my budget I would probably evaluate the Columbia and SR22
first before considering a Bonanza. After all, they're faster with
fixed gear, won't corrode, have modern avionics and are 30 years newer
than the Bonanzas I'm considering.

It looks as if the once assumed appreciation rate for Bonanzas is in
for a big change. Agree? Thoughts?
Old November 12th 03, 06:49 PM
Dan Luke

"Potential Bo Buyer" wrote:
Why is the market for late model V35B's and F33A's so flat.

The market for practically everything is flat except for light twins,
where the market is well below "flat."

Are the Lancair Columbia and Cirrus SR22 substitute products for the
4-place Bonanzas?

Yes, IMO.

After all, they're faster with
fixed gear, won't corrode, have modern avionics and are 30 years
newer than the Bonanzas I'm considering.

Yeah, but they cost quite a bit more, so you're comparing apples to
oranges.

It looks as if the once assumed appreciation rate for Bonanzas is in
for a big change. Agree?

For the newer A36s, yes. Same thing for newer Mooneys. I predict neither
of these aircraft will still be in production five years from now.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 12th 03, 07:56 PM
markjen

What you saying may have some slight effect, but it is minor compared to the
general price trends of all aircraft and complex retracts specifically.
Very seldom does the appearance of a new airplane have much affect on the
value of used airplanes.

And others have said, I don't see someone with a budget of $150K for a 170K
IFR bird cross-shopping late-model F33As/V35Bs with a new $300K airplane.
And I think may pilots, truth be told, want a retract even if there are
fixed-gear airplanes of similar performance. Light twins can seldom be
practically justified over a heavy single, but many folks just get more
pleasure out of flying a twin. Finally, a Bonanza is a much more
rugged/substantial airplane, a much better rough field airplane, has a much
bigger baggage area, is bigger/heavier and arguably more comfortable, and is
a better airplane for situations where you can't hangar - I'd consider
hangaring an absolute requirement for a composite airplane.

I'll admit I'm prejudice, but I just don't see 25-year-old SR22s holding up
like 25-year-old Bonanzas have.

That's not to say that SR22s and Columbia's don't have their advantages.
They're fast, sleek, quiet, probably safer, and have absolutely gorgeous
panels. If I had $300K to spend, I'll look at them very seriously.

- Mark

Old November 12th 03, 08:07 PM
Dan Luke

"markjen" wrote:
Finally, a Bonanza is a much more
rugged/substantial airplane,

Says who?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 13th 03, 01:02 PM
Stu Gotts

Just about everyone. Especially the owners.

Old November 13th 03, 03:55 PM
Thomas Borchert

Stu,

Especially the owners.

What a surprise! "Oh, my 150k dollars investment really is a piece of
junk. That other plane from Cirrus or Lancair is much better." Like
you're gonna hear that often.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 14th 03, 07:17 PM
Snowbird

wrote:

"markjen" wrote:
Finally, a Bonanza is a much more
rugged/substantial airplane,

Says who?

Well, I haven't heard much one way or the other about Cirrus
and Lancair as short or rough field airplanes.

Has anyone?

I know Bonanzas have a (surprising, to me) good rep as short/rough
planes by people who really know how to fly them and are willing to
risk "runway rash" by taking them out of rough fields.

It wouldn't surprise me if many people who just bought a $300K
Cirrus or Lancair for its speed and avionics, aren't willing to
risk it on a rough grass strip in backcountry Idaho.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old November 12th 03, 08:15 PM
Zeno

a Bonanza is .... arguably more comfortable

says who ?

Old November 12th 03, 09:04 PM
markjen

a Bonanza is .... arguably more comfortable

says who ?

Says me. We're just expressing opinions here.

- Mark

Old November 13th 03, 01:03 PM
Stu Gotts

Anyone that has ever flown more than an hour in each.