Getting [re]started in flying

Old November 15th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Getting [re]started in flying

30+ years ago (a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) I was an
active pilot in my early 20s. I held a CASMELI, CFI and CGI A&I
tickets. Had 1100+ hours PIC mostly in single engine with about 4o0 or
so in light twins. Circumstances in life (not medical) changed my
direction and I haven't flown since around 75. I haven't even paid any
attention to the industry until very recently

Its been so long and I know the regs have to be entirely different from
the early 70s. Certainly the technology has changed even though there
seems to be a lot of familiar airframes still flying.

I've put on some additional ballast (insulation from the cold and
insurance against the great famine) and am on light blood pressure meds.
Otherwise, I'm in pretty good shape for an older guy. No restrictions
on my driver's license.

So I'm looking for a place to drive a stake in the ground to get started
flying again.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

TIA

Old November 15th 05, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I did a re-start after about 30 years off. I booked an instructor and
a 172 at Chicago Midway, and found that was a great way to learn the
system quickly, since the airspace rules have changed dramatically
since the 70s.

It only took about 10 hours of dual to get the basic skills back. A
PC-based simulator helps a lot with instrument scan, but don't try
landings - you develop bad habits (too much aileron, too little rudder)
on the PC unless you have rudder pedals.

If you're considering relocation, head somewhere that you can find
decent weather any time of year.

Old November 15th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've put on some additional ballast (insulation from the cold and insurance against the great famine) and am on light blood pressure meds. Otherwise, I'm in pretty good shape for an older guy. No restrictions on my driver's license.

Some BP meds are disqualifying. Consider the light sport pilot route
for re-entry. No medical necessary. If you are interested in flying
more capable aircraft, don't get an FAA exam until you know you can pass
it (go to a regular MD first, contact AOPA)

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 15th 05, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

I've put on some additional ballast (insulation from the cold and
insurance against the great famine) and am on light blood pressure
meds. Otherwise, I'm in pretty good shape for an older guy. No
restrictions on my driver's license.

Some BP meds are disqualifying. Consider the light sport pilot route
for re-entry. No medical necessary. If you are interested in flying
more capable aircraft, don't get an FAA exam until you know you can pass
it (go to a regular MD first, contact AOPA)

Jose

What about low dose beta blockers?

Old November 15th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Cal Vanize" wrote)
[snip]
30+ years ago (a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) I was an
active pilot in my early 20s. I held a CASMELI, CFI and CGI A&I tickets.
Had 1100+ hours PIC mostly in single engine with about 4o0 or so in light
twins. Circumstances in life (not medical) changed my direction and I
haven't flown since around 75. I haven't even paid any attention to the
industry until very recently

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Cessna introduced the 152 in 1978 :-)

Seriously though, you will need a 3rd class medical every 2 years. If you do
not pass your medical you are (currently) screwed. If you "choose" not to
renew your medical, you may still fly as a Sport Pilot in a Light-Sport
Aircraft (LSA). The medical question is #1 on your to-do list.

Again, you can NOT go in for your medical - not pass it, then decide to fly
as a Sport Pilot. However, as it is, you're Sport Pilot ready TODAY. Grab an
instructor...

http://www.sportpilot.org/

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulat..._aircraft.html
Aircraft

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulat...facturers.html
Aircraft

http://www.aopa.org/sportpilot/

http://www.zenithair.com/news/sport-pilot.html

If you can pass your medical, then you'll be able to rent that OLD g 152
sitting out on the ramp at your local FBO. BTW, where will you be flying out
of?

Montblack

Old November 15th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I can't help you with location but this page on AOPA's website will give you
some things to think about.

http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/getback.html

Old November 15th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What about low dose beta blockers?

I don't know. Call an FAA doctor on the phone, on an anonymous basis.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 15th 05, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
Any suggestions? Opinions?

Seriously though, you will need a 3rd class medical every 2 years. If you do
not pass your medical you are (currently) screwed. If you "choose" not to
renew your medical, you may still fly as a Sport Pilot in a Light-Sport
Aircraft (LSA). The medical question is #1 on your to-do list.

Again, you can NOT go in for your medical - not pass it, then decide to fly
as a Sport Pilot. However, as it is, you're Sport Pilot ready TODAY. Grab an
instructor...

Good advice up to a point. I wouldn't give up so quickly on the possibility of
him renewing his commercial license with another standard second or third class
medical. I went through the same thing myself this past spring, after a 15 year
layoff.

Call a FAA medical examiner and ask your questions. Be very specific about
everything but your name. If it sounds good to you, go in and get a flight
physical. If it sounds more negative, then follow the advice about becoming a
sport pilot.

I chose the former route and got a 3rd class physical. The next time I'm
seriously considering trying for a 2nd class if I can pass the thing.

Go out to the airport and sign up for a bienial with an experienced instructor.
Pick an aircraft you've flown a lot if you can. I took mine in a C-172. I was
signed off after my second session. It's like riding a bike if you flew enough
way back when. I had more trouble with the radios than anything else. GPS
didn't exist way back when.

After a few VFR trips, I signed up again with a very capable ATP/CFII to refresh
my instrument skills. I bought a refresher book and read it first, flew the
flight sim a few times at home to get my scan going again, then flew the sim at
the FBO twice to get my approaches, holds, airwork, etc. in and get signed off
for instruments.

Now the problem is going to be *keeping* the competency current given my
infrequent flying. Rather than bore holes in the sky, I prefer to use my flying
to get somewhere. I have to say flying was a lot cheaper back when I used to
get paid for doing it.

Anyway, shoot for a full return to flying if you can. Just don't give your name
until you're sure you'll qualify.

Old November 15th 05, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Cal Vanize" wrote

What about low dose beta blockers?

Aopa has a complete listing of allowable medicines. I'll bet there is
something on the list you could take that is allowed, if you specific BP med
is not allowed.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 16th 05, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cal Vanize wrote
So I'm looking for a place to drive a stake in the ground to get started
flying again.

I wonder if the ".au" would change most of the answers you received or is
it not applicable?

Bob Moore