Garmin 396 vs 496

Old October 2nd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Default Garmin 396 vs 496

I did update the database at the same time. I thought it odd that it wasn't
mentioned in the update comments.

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
dlevy wrote:
I upgraded my 396 software to version 3.50 via the Garmin website.

The taxiways weren't labeled but the airport layout was on the screen.

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
oups.com...

Geo-referenced taxi diagrams. Quite useful at larger airports.

No changes in that area are listed in Garmin's change log. What exact
changes do you see? Did you update the database at the same time? I'm
currently on 3.40 but may go to 3.60 to get the "duplicate waypoints"
patch as mine is driven by Aviation In from a GNS480. Thanks.

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ils.jsp?id=921

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:

* Corrected display of communication frequency displayed on Airport
and Nearest pages for airports that have multiple Unicom or Multicom
frequencies.
* Corrected issue that could cause the odometer field value to become
inaccurate.
* Corrected occasional unit shutdown during powerup.
* Improved Aviation In communication format by preventing duplicate
waypoints from being added to the route when the remote unit is navigating
a procedure turn.
* Improved address search when using postal codes.

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:

* Corrected issue that could cause flights to be recorded while
driving on land when the unit is in aviation mode.
* Improved alerting for airspace with upper or lower bounds specified
as AGL.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Ross Richardson wrote:
For those 396/496 owners, what is the annual cost to keep that thing
updated, GPS, EM Weather, etc.

XM weather subscription is either $30 or $50/mo, depending on which
service you prefer ("Aviator" or "Aviator Lite", I think they're
called). I have the $30/mo version.

There are "Jeppesen", "Obstacle" and "Terrain" databases. The Jeppesen
updates are $35 each. There are discounts for longer term subscriptions,
($295/yr for 13 conecutive updates) but I just get a Jepp update every
once in a while, whenever the spirit moves me, maybe a couple of
times/yr. New cycle every 28 days.

Obstacle database is $35, or $195 for 7 consecutive. New cycle every 56
days. Terrain database is $150, no regular update cycle. I've never
updated either of these on my unit.

The automobile database is IIRC $75 and there is a new cycle every
couple of years.

Software/firmware updates are free downloads from garmin.com
Old October 2nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Garmin give you one free DB update that you must use within 90 days. We
have a GNS430 that we keep IFR current and we only want the 396 for the
XM weather. This being true we will probably only update the 396 one or
two times a year. I don't know how much Garmin charges for each update.

The XM weather is $29.95 per month for Aviator Light and $49.95 Full
Aviator.

Jon Kraus

Ross Richardson wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

We just bought a 396 two months ago. My partner and I discussed the
differences and I went back and read all the posts about the 396. We
already have a Garmin 430 in the panel so we only wanted the XM
weather capability.

In the end we decided that for the type of flying we do it was not
worth the extra price for the 496. So far, it seems that we have not
regretted our decision. I think we paid 2.2 AMU's for our 396 but I
think I just saw them for 2.1 AMU's somewhere. I am unsure if the 496
took a similar dip.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

mbremer216 wrote:

Any opinions on the differences between the two units. Other than
the faster updating and the better street atlas, what makes the newer
model worth $600 more?

Thanks

Mike