Compass trouble

Old April 21st 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Compass trouble

I can understand both perspectives and, in fact, am leaning toward
preferring top posting. Your hard line position and blaming MS seems a
little fanatical.

I noticed that you didn't ignore my top post.
--
-------------------------------
Travis

On 2008-04-21, Travis Marlatte wrote:
MS didn't invent email.

No, they didn't. Before Outlook screwed up everyone's expectations,
though,
top-posting was universally reviled. Microsoft's mistake changed all that,
and not for the better.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

Old April 21st 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Travis Marlatte wrote:
I can understand both perspectives and, in fact, am leaning toward
preferring top posting.

Same here.

I bottom post, as I always have on Usenet, out of respect to convention.
Over time, I have formed an opinion that top posting or intertwining
comments makes the most sense from a readability standpoint.

To my eyes, what creates the real problems are people who don't trim
long posts combined with both top and bottom posting in long threads.

If a reply is properly trimmed and attributed, the reply is readable and
makes perfect sense regardless of where the reply is placed.
Old April 21st 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-21, Travis Marlatte wrote:
I can understand both perspectives and, in fact, am leaning toward
preferring top posting. Your hard line position and blaming MS seems a
little fanatical.

No, it's just backed by 20 years on the Internet. You see, I was here before
Microsoft ever dreamed of making software to use it.

Those who insist on topposting make a point of ignoring long-standing
Internet etiquette.

I noticed that you didn't ignore my top post.

Because I had a point to make.
Old April 21st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

On 2008-04-21, Travis Marlatte wrote:
I can understand both perspectives and, in fact, am leaning toward
preferring top posting. Your hard line position and blaming MS seems a
little fanatical.

No, it's just backed by 20 years on the Internet. You see, I was here before
Microsoft ever dreamed of making software to use it.

Those who insist on topposting make a point of ignoring long-standing
Internet etiquette.

I noticed that you didn't ignore my top post.

Because I had a point to make.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (ordered 17 March, delivery 2 June)

So what is that break in the middle response called...center posting?

Old April 22nd 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jay Somerset wrote:
Or more likely, you
are not a certificated pilot.

Karl is a professional pilot who has been here for years.

Old April 22nd 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-21, B A R R Y wrote:
I bottom post, as I always have on Usenet, out of respect to convention.
Over time, I have formed an opinion that top posting or intertwining
comments makes the most sense from a readability standpoint.

What people call "interleaving" or "intertwining" comments is the actual
convention. Pure bottom-posting is no better than top-posting, and for the
same reason: there's no correspondence between your comments and what you're
commenting on.

To my eyes, what creates the real problems are people who don't trim
long posts combined with both top and bottom posting in long threads.

Yes, indeed. Lack of trimming is a real pain.

If a reply is properly trimmed and attributed, the reply is readable and
makes perfect sense regardless of where the reply is placed.

No. Top posting still breaks the relationship between your comments and what
you're commenting on.

You don't have conversations backwards...but that's what a top-posted
message reads like.
Old April 23rd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

Isn't it brass, not bronze, screwdriver?

Old April 24th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 23 Apr 2008 21:53:34 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Isn't it brass, not bronze, screwdriver?

non magnetic is the requirement.
it can be brass, bronze or austinitic stainless steel.
it can be beautifully made or the hammered and filed end of a bronze
welding rod.

Stealth Pilot

KAP 140 trouble Dan Luke Owning 27 July 12th 07 07:13 PM
Syrian MiG-21 in trouble Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 9 March 3rd 07 11:20 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
compass turns with high mounted compass (Cessna 152) Ray Instrument Flight Rules 22 April 7th 05 07:39 AM
engine trouble mindenpilot Owning 16 February 10th 05 02:17 AM