Cessna sued for skydiving accident.

Old December 6th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Cessna sued for skydiving accident. OT rant...

skym wrote:
Criticizing the system based on the McDonald's case is a fallacy. The
reason it got so much attention is because it was an abberant result,
at least as far as the jury verdict. The judge reduced the damages
substantialy, which shows one of the safeguards that the system has.
They are not perfect, but they usually work.

The point is that there never should have been an award to reduce as
McDonald's should not be held culpable for the stupidity of its
customers. The only way the system would have worked in this case would
be if the judge had thrown out the award and then jailed the lawyer for
wasting the court's time.

Matt
Old December 6th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Morgans wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote

I see a nearly precise connection. The seller of alcohol knows that
everyone who drinks it will be impaired to some degree.

Most people are still legal to drive if tey only consum 1 drink over
a period of 3o or 40 minutes. besides, the bartender does NOT know
who is going to drive, or do something where the imparement could
cause harm.

Legality doesn't matter. They are still IMPAIRED.

McDonald's does NOT know who is going to put coffee between their legs
and then spill it.
=

Who cares?

McDonalds are a blight upon the earth and everyone knows it. Thats why they
gave that woman the money, to give them a black eye.

Bertie

Old December 6th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Matt Whiting wrote in news:WkR5j.1031$2n4.27076
@news1.epix.net:

skym wrote:
Criticizing the system based on the McDonald's case is a fallacy. The
reason it got so much attention is because it was an abberant result,
at least as far as the jury verdict. The judge reduced the damages
substantialy, which shows one of the safeguards that the system has.
They are not perfect, but they usually work.

The point is that there never should have been an award to reduce as
McDonald's should not be held culpable for the stupidity of its
customers.

One could easily make the argument that you have to be an idiot to eat at
Mcdonalds in the first place. McDonalds obviously know this so therefore
they have a responsibility to look after their idiots

Bertie
Old December 6th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Matt Whiting wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote

Also, while you link does say, "The best temperature for brewing
coffee is between 195 F and 205 F." it doesn't say it should be
served at that temperature. If I cook a prime rib at 375 F I don't
plan to serve it at that temperature.

Exactly. NOBODY can drink coffee at 180 degrees. Few could drink
it at 140.

Right. Most McDonalds are in towns or cities. I don't drive and
drink coffee when in high traffic and congested areas. Even where I
live, in a fairly rural area, most McDonalds are located such that I
must drive 5-10 minutes before I'm in an area safe enough to drive my
coffee while driving. By then the coffee is easily sipped and soon
after can be gulped, and this is without adding cream or sugar which
cool the coffee. If I was served coffee at 120 degrees, it would be
barely above body temperature 10 minutes later and that would not
make me a happy camper.
Matt

Unfortunately most people aren't as responsible as you are Matt. McD's
research showed most people started drinking right away.

Old December 6th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 6, 4:49 am, Matt Whiting wrote:
The only way the system would have worked in this case would
be if the judge had thrown out the award and then jailed the lawyer for
wasting the court's time.

Matt

Since the jury ruled in the plaintiff's favor (as did the judge when
he still left $600,000+ in her favor), I assume you mean the
defendant's lawyer.
Old December 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 6, 6:29 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

One could easily make the argument that you have to be an idiot to eat at
Mcdonalds in the first place. McDonalds obviously know this so therefore
they have a responsibility to look after their idiots

Bertie

But don't you like Big Macs ?
Old December 6th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

" wrote in
:

On Dec 6, 6:29 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

One could easily make the argument that you have to be an idiot to
eat at Mcdonalds in the first place. McDonalds obviously know this so
therefore they have a responsibility to look after their idiots

Bertie

But don't you like Big Macs ?

Ewww. Elephant scabs smothered in special sauce? Let's not even talk about
what part of the elephant that came from .

Bertie
Old December 6th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Cessna sued for skydiving accident.

On 2007-12-02 15:37:16 -0800, Peter Clark
said:

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:30:37 -0500, "Blueskies"
wrote:

"F. Baum" wrote in message

On

Dec 2, 11:32 am, wrote:

There's been an AD against the Caravan for more than a year
(2006-06-06) that was recently superseded by 2007-10-15, perhaps
driven by this accident. It seems that it doesn't matter that ADs are
issued; they have to be modified or amended or superseded to make
people sit up and take problems seriously. The Caravan has long had a
history of poor ice performance and anyone flying one and staying
current with aviation should know that.

Dan, thanks for posting something aviation related on this thread (As
opposed to Jay's OT BS). It has been a long time since I have flown a
Caravan so I am not going to try to be an expert here. Unfortunatly
the Caravan isnt the only Turboprop with poor icing performance
(Remember the ATR). There are several others that I have flown that
are downright scary in icing conditions. Maybe it is an inherent
problem in Turboprpops. Thanks for the link.
F Baum

The airplane is NOT approved for flight into *known* icing conditions.
So when a pilot finds himself in those conditions
in one of these planes, Cessna is to blame if he/she screws up and crashes...

The Cessna Model 208 and 208B Pilot’s Operating Handbook (POH) and
FAA-approved Airplane Flight Manual (AFM)Supplement S1 "Known Icing
Euipment" begs to differ.

I will have to check my copy of it if and when I ever manage to get
back to the office. That is, after we get the flood water out of the
house and the roads are clear. :-)

I could have sworn that it was not certified for known ice.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old December 7th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Morgans wrote:
[...]

I'm not surprised, but I still think that should not obligate McDonald's
to lower the temp of their coffee, unless they choose to do so for
marketing reasons and charge people an additional fee for the privilege!
:-)

Matt

British Aircraft to be used for Skydiving in Iran! [email protected] Aerobatics 0 September 7th 07 06:40 PM
British Aircraft to be used for Skydiving in Iran! [email protected] Simulators 0 September 7th 07 06:39 PM
Lycoming Sued jls Home Built 0 February 13th 04 03:01 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM
WOW - Shots fired at skydiving plane in NY... Buff5200 Piloting 15 July 14th 03 06:37 PM