A/W-95 Helicopter by A-B Helicopters

Old December 7th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ed

Default A/W-95 Helicopter by A-B Helicopters

Is the A/W-95 Helicopter by A-B Helicopters a good design for what it
is ??? I'm thinking of building it but appreciate any advise .
Thanks ED
Old December 7th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"ed" wrote in message
Is the A/W-95 Helicopter by A-B Helicopters a good design for what it
is ??? I'm thinking of building it but appreciate any advise .

The world of small kit (or plans)-built helicopters is a place with a
somewhat troubling history. Before you make any decision on building any such
machine from any company I suggest that you do some basic investigation:

1) Get several opinions from folks in the know on this subject.
2) From the company, get the names of a few happy customers with over 100 hours
on their machines (if there aren't any, you know what to do).
3) Visit at least one or two of the customers. Airshows are a great place to do
this.
4) Get some flight training first, it will make you a more informed customer and
builder. After all, you can't learn to fly in a one-seat helicopter.

Vaughn

Old December 7th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

ed wrote:
Is the A/W-95 Helicopter by A-B Helicopters a good design for what it
is ??? I'm thinking of building it but appreciate any advise .
Thanks ED

I'd never heard of the A/W-95 but from a quick look it seems it is a true
plans built helicopter.

Are you a top grade machinist? If not, I wouldn't even think about it.

You might want to get a subscription to Experimental Helicopters. They seem
to have stories or at least photo spreads from any gathering that has more
than 2 homebuilt helicopters and pretty good technical articles. Here's
their website. http://www.experimentalhelo.com/ I think you can even
download a free issue. Stuart Fields is the owner and editor and I'll be
surprised if he doesn't jump into this thread sooner or later.

Just for the record I've been a subscriber for several months and I've never
seen a flying example of the A/W-95 featured. One of the main questions you
should ask of any homebuilt is the number of finished and flying examples.
The higher the number the better. This is not one of those places you want
to be the first guy up.

You didn't mention if you already have your rotorcraft rating or not. If not
you might consider getting it first. A. Because you aren't going to be able
to learn in a single seater and even if it is an ultralight that doesn't
require a rating the odds are you would die if you attempted to train
yourself. B. If you build your helicopter you need to be experienced to test
it. Helicopters are FAR harder to fly than fixed wing.

I'm building a fixed wing plane right now and may at some point in the
future take on a kit build helicopter but even though I will have built one
aircraft and am rated in helicopters I'd never consider a plans built
copter.

Old December 7th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Ed: We attend some 13 airshows each year in support of our magazine. We
have been doing this for some time and I've yet to see an AW-95 fly. That
said there have been a couple of people that I know that have built and
flown them. Both of them have something different now. I will get in
contact with them and see if they are willing to let me release their
contact info. They are both experienced helo builder/flyers.
To Gig 601XL builder, thanks for the kind words.
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine.

Old December 7th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Richard Riley wrote:

Small helicopters are FAR harder to fly than large ones. I've had the
opportunity to fly a Blackhawk for a half hour or so, and have a dozen
hours in Robinson R-22's. The Robinsons are good trainers because if
you can fly one, you can fly any helo out there. It's like ballancing
a broom vrs. ballencing a pencil.

I would imagine a single place homebuilt would be much more difficult
to fly than a Robinson.

You are so right. I got to fly a 206 for about 30 minutes a year or so ago.
All of my previous helicopter flight had been in an R-22. With the exception
of some systems operations which is "book learning" stuff the 206 was much
eaiser to fly.

Old December 8th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
JohnO

On Dec 8, 6:48 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Richard Riley wrote:

Small helicopters are FAR harder to fly than large ones. I've had the
opportunity to fly a Blackhawk for a half hour or so, and have a dozen
hours in Robinson R-22's. The Robinsons are good trainers because if
you can fly one, you can fly any helo out there. It's like ballancing
a broom vrs. ballencing a pencil.

I would imagine a single place homebuilt would be much more difficult
to fly than a Robinson.

You are so right. I got to fly a 206 for about 30 minutes a year or so ago.
All of my previous helicopter flight had been in an R-22. With the exception
of some systems operations which is "book learning" stuff the 206 was much
eaiser to fly.

I'd expect the same but am told the somewhat more flimsy and
underpowered Rotorway ships are easier to hover than a Robbie.
Old December 8th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Well...Have I got a surprise for you guys. A few years ago Dwight Junkin,
who is involved with the Mosquito, asked me if I wanted to try his Mosquito.
OK I'm helicopter rated, have hovered a UH-1, Safaris, Schweitzer 300CB,
Bell 47s, and a Brantly B2B, and tried to hover a R-22. Here was Dwights
Mosquito that weighs less than 300 #. I knew it was going to be skitterish
as hell and was scared spitless as I slowly raised the collective keeping
the rpm in the green. The little bugger came nicely off the ground and just
set there like a much much heavier helicopter. Withing 15 sec I was hover
taxiing the thing around the field. Having raced two stroke motorcycles I
wasn't inclined to go flying about though without accumulating more faith in
the engine. Bottom line? It was easier to hover than any other helicopter
I've tried with the exception of the Huey. People who have flown both the
R-22 and the Mosquito say the Mosquito is much easier to fly. Now I don't
have any experience or second hand info on the AW-95.
The Exec that I hovered felt very much like a Safari.

Old December 8th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

[...]

Just a guess, Stuart, but what were the control forces and excursions
like on the Mosquito?

Richard
Old December 8th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote

People who have flown both the R-22 and the Mosquito say the Mosquito is
much easier to fly. Now I don't have any experience or second hand info
on the AW-95.

What do you think of the power output of the little Rotax in the 95? Is it
over taxing the engine, or is it going to be able to put out that much power
without reliability problems in the long run?

Whenever I see a 2 stroke in a Heli, it reminds me too much or an earlier
helicopter no longer in business (that shall go nameless) and it concerns
me.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 8th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Richard: As I recall the control forces were fairly light but such that I
felt connected to the ship and control excursions required were not large
but generated response that seemed very appropriate. This seems to be
supported by the fact that several people have learned to fly the thing
without having any helicopter instruction. Something I sure don't
recommend.