Night currency question

Old December 11th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Night currency question

"nobody" wrote in message

My point is that Steven is making incomplete and ambiguous statements and
passing them off as fact.

Steven did nothing at all like that.

Old December 11th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Denny" wrote in message

Same thing to carry passengers... You go out there unqualified to
carry passengers and do a few TOL... Suddenly you are qualified to
carry passengers - without having carried a passenger...

Ahh, you said nothing about passengers in your first message. That changes
things.

Old December 11th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 11, 12:44 am, "Stan Prevost" wrote:
One of the issues with night flight is being able to maneuver on the surface
of an airport without getting lost and making runway incursions. It can be
a daunting task at a large field. I have always supposed that the FAA
wanted pilots to have some recency of experience in such night maneuvering,
and I have thus interpreted the requirement for full-stop landings to
exclude stop-and-go.

No, stop-and-goes are sufficient. The CFRs and AIM Pilot/Controller
Glossary do not provide any technical definition for "full stop".
Therefore, the term just has its ordinary English meaning, which does
not include a requirement to exit the runway or taxi around the
airport. (The P/CG does use the term "complete stop"--as part of the
definition of "stop and go".)

My guess is that the FAA doesn't want to promote nighttime touch and
goes by a pilot who lacks recent night experience, so they don't allow
touch and goes to count for night currency. Stop and goes are less
rushed--they let the pilot verify takeoff configuration and assess
remaining runway length without being in motion in the dark at the
same time.
Old December 11th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Seeing as how the regulation for night currency only applies to the
carrying of passengers why should he have needed to mention it?

His question was about qualifying for night ops, not about night currency.

Old December 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 10, 9:44 pm, "Stan Prevost" wrote:
One of the issues with night flight is being able to maneuver on the surface
of an airport without getting lost and making runway incursions.

But how do they make it to the runway in the first place?

-Robert
Old December 11th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 10, 7:11 pm, john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

thanks,

John

The definition of "landing" is a bit vague, but full stop is pretty
easy to define. I suspect that the FAA doesn't want people to count
time when they bang the wheels on the ground and then continue flying.
I've been known to log 3 of those types of "landings" in a single
pass.

-Robert, CFII
Old December 11th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 11, 9:18 am, wrote:

My guess is that the FAA doesn't want to promote nighttime touch and
goes by a pilot who lacks recent night experience, so they don't allow
touch and goes to count for night currency.

I'm not sure if that is true or not but I always restrict my students
to full stop landings when I endorse them for solo. Touch-n-goes can
be very busy and the chances of someone going off the side of the
runway while reaching for the flaps (at least with low time pilots) is
high in my experience. I've flown with rated pilot with fresh BFRs
that have a hard time with tngs.

-Robert, CFII
Old December 11th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

There may be little justification for that requirement and this may be a
good time to ask the FAA to either provide better justification or
change to the rule because it appears the "FAA Wants Help Eliminating
Useless Rules":

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196728-1.html
Old December 11th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Why wouldn't you? You're not legal to carry anyone until you complete
your three T&Ls.... I suppose you could pay an instructor but why bother?
The airplane doesn't know it's dark.

Because night ops qualification requires 3 hours of night flight training
and flight training requires a flight instructor.

I got those three hours of night flight instruction as a student pilot back in
1978. I've not required more night flight instruction since then though my
night currency comes and goes... particularly in the summer.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com