Night currency question

Old December 11th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Night currency question

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

His question was about qualifying for night ops, not about night
currency.

Old December 11th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Seeing as how the regulation for night currency only applies to the
carrying of passengers why should he have needed to mention it?

His question was about qualifying for night ops, not about night currency.

I don't think so, the thread started with why is it 3 to a full stop and
the thread is called Night currency question. Someone then said does it
make sense to go out "unqualified" which in the vein of this thread only
makes sense as "not current" to become "qualified" which would be
"current".

Margy
Old December 11th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

The definition of "landing" is a bit vague, but full stop is pretty
easy to define. I suspect that the FAA doesn't want people to count
time when they bang the wheels on the ground and then continue flying.
I've been known to log 3 of those types of "landings" in a single
pass.

Too funny! :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 12th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 7:11 pm, john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

thanks,

John

The definition of "landing" is a bit vague, but full stop is pretty
easy to define. I suspect that the FAA doesn't want people to count
time when they bang the wheels on the ground and then continue flying.
I've been known to log 3 of those types of "landings" in a single
pass.

My buddy has a 310 and when we landed and taxied to the hangers and met the
other planes that went on the trip to lunch, they wondered why they were
back to the hanger first. I told them we landed 3 times. My buddy was a
little upset, but it was funny at the time. He sure has a hard time landing
that plane.
-Robert, CFII

Old December 12th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

I got those three hours of night flight instruction as a student pilot
back in 1978. I've not required more night flight instruction since then
though my night currency comes and goes... particularly in the summer.

Exactly.

Old December 12th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...

I don't think so, the thread started with why is it 3 to a full stop and
the thread is called Night currency question. Someone then said does it
make sense to go out "unqualified" which in the vein of this thread only
makes sense as "not current" to become "qualified" which would be
"current".

You're free to assume he meant something other than what he wrote.

Old December 12th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Clark" wrote in message

Hmmm, maybe you should look at the subject line. Maybe.

Thread creep.

Old December 12th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:33:51 GMT, Marty Shapiro
wrote:

"BT" wrote in
:

and on a 10,000ft runway.. you stop in the first 1000.. full stop..
and then just go..
so much for the "ground operations"
BT

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message
One of the issues with night flight is being able to maneuver on the
surface of an airport without getting lost and making runway
incursions. It can be a daunting task at a large field. I have
always supposed that the FAA wanted pilots to have some recency of
experience in such night maneuvering, and I have thus interpreted the
requirement for full-stop landings to exclude stop-and-go. I have
assumed that they want us to exit the runway and taxi back for
departure. Assuming, of course, that there is a parallel taxiway.
If not, then backtaxi, being very aware of things.

Stan

"john" wrote in message

What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

thanks,

John

With a 10,000' runway and a STOL aircraft, you can get your night
currency in one pass down the runway.

STOL? I could do it in a Bonanza, 172 or Cherokee depending on
whether I had to get to pattern alititude. In that case I could only
get two on one pass.

Roger (K8RI)

Old December 12th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Dec 10, 7:11 pm, john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

thanks,

John

The definition of "landing" is a bit vague, but full stop is pretty
easy to define. I suspect that the FAA doesn't want people to count
time when they bang the wheels on the ground and then continue flying.
I've been known to log 3 of those types of "landings" in a single
pass.

-Robert, CFII

Yea.. but when you ACCIDENTLY bang the wheels three times when you are
trying to full stop.....
Old December 12th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Dec 11, 4:11 pm, john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

To allow for 40 winks ?
grin

Cheers