Night currency question

Old December 12th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Night currency question

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Clark" wrote in message

Hmmm, maybe you should look at the subject line. Maybe.

Thread creep.

Not until you jumped in and creeped it.

Old December 12th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody[_2_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
You're free to assume he meant something other than what he wrote.

What's good for the goose.......

Old December 12th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

My question was related to currency - 3 full stops in the previous 90
days.

I have heard of individuals joking about counting three bounce
landings during the day time as meeting their currency requirement,
however, I've never know anyone to actually put it in their log
books. The only general answer I have received is related to safety,
but no further explanation has been given.

The reason I asked was that the FAA is requesting comments on their
regs at this time. Since no one has been able to give a definite
answer, I have submitted a request that the "full stop" be removed
from the language.

Thanks for the "lively" responses.

John

On Dec 11, 1:18 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
john wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the full stop landing?

There may be little justification for that requirement and this may be a
good time to ask the FAA to either provide better justification or
change to the rule because it appears the "FAA Wants Help Eliminating
Useless Rules":

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...atingUselessRu...

Old December 13th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Bob Moore wrote in
46.128:

Robert M. Gary wrote
I'm not sure if that is true or not but I always restrict my students
to full stop landings when I endorse them for solo. Touch-n-goes can
be very busy and the chances of someone going off the side of the
runway while reaching for the flaps (at least with low time pilots) is
high in my experience.

Same here....

Bob Moore

Ditto.

I'm not all that keen on doing touch and goes at any time, in fact.

Bertie
Old December 13th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Each landing has to involve "flight in the traffic pattern". Now if you
were a lawyer, you might argue the definition of "traffic pattern". Does
only an upwind and final count?

Reading 61.57 I see nothing about flight in the traffic pattern. Where is it required? If I make three night cross country trips, ending each one with a straight in approach and landing, that counts towards currency.

However, I do agree that three bounces does not.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 14th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jackal24

Jose wrote in
t:

Reading 61.57 I see nothing about flight in the traffic pattern.
Where is it required?

I don't see it. I am pretty sure I remember it being in there somewhere,
but I guess I am wrong.
Old December 14th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Section 61.109: Aeronautical experience.
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating.........

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing
involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

Just to keep things clear... 61.109 contains (training) requirements for applying for a pilot certificate in the first place. As such the pattern requirement is reasonable.

61.57 contains requirements for recency of experience to be legal for carrying passengers. As such the lack of a pattern requirement is reasonable.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 14th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

You might be thinking of the Commercial Experience requirements:

"5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings
(with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an
airport with an operating control tower." FAR 61.129

61.109 relates to private pilots and doesn't mention night as a
requirement