Radios, Intercoms & Inputs.

Old December 13th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Radios, Intercoms & Inputs.

As my name implies I'm building a Zenith 601XL. The avionics I'm planning on
are as follows...

Garmin SL40
and a Garmin 496.

I know that the SL40 has a built in intercom and I assume it is good enough
for two headsets. My questions is is there an input for the external audio
that will be coming from the XM side of the 496? Or will I have to install a
stand-alone intercom for that?

Also, I have considered a secondary audio input for an iPod. If the SL40 is
capable of dealing with outside audio on its own does anyone have an idea as
to what I need to do to put an external switch in the system to switch
between the XM and the iPod?

Old December 17th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
markt

On Dec 13, 7:34 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
As my name implies I'm building a Zenith 601XL. The avionics I'm planning on
are as follows...

Garmin SL40
and a Garmin 496.

I know that the SL40 has a built in intercom and I assume it is good enough
for two headsets. My questions is is there an input for the external audio
that will be coming from the XM side of the 496? Or will I have to install a
stand-alone intercom for that?

Also, I have considered a secondary audio input for an iPod. If the SL40 is
capable of dealing with outside audio on its own does anyone have an idea as
to what I need to do to put an external switch in the system to switch
between the XM and the iPod?

The easiest way to add an alternative input for the SL40 is add a
switched panel mount stereo jack to your panel. When nothing is
plugged in it will feed the XM to the SL40, when the ipod is plugged
in the ipod music will be fed to the SL40. An example of such a
component is CP1 -3515-ND available from www.digikey.com. The wiring
is fairly simple given the part datasheet http://www.cui.com/pdffiles/SJ1-3515.pdf,
follow these steps.

1. Determine if the input to the SL40 is mono or stereo, and follow
the table below

2. If SL40 is stereo wire as below else goto step 3.
Jack Pin Number Wire To
1 496 XM ground,
SL40 ground
2 SL40 Left channel
input
3 SL40 Right Channel
input
4 496 XM left
channel output
5 496 XM Right
channel output
you are done.

3. If SL40 is mono wire as below.
Jack Pin Number Wire To
1 496 XM ground,
SL40 ground
2 SL40 Audio input
3 Not connected
4 496 XM left
channel output
5 Not connected
you are done.

Do you have any pictures of your 601XL?

One last thing before you go and purchase this jack make sure the
threaded barrel is long enough compared to your panel thickness, and
nut.

Old December 17th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig601XLBuilder

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info but it adds another question. Are some SL40s stereo
and some mono? If so how can I tell? Remember we are talking about a
used one that will be purchased from e-bay.

And yes I have a few photos, though I haven't updated in a while.
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR
Old December 18th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
markt

wrote:
[...]

And yes I have a few photos, though I haven't updated in a while.www.peoamerica.net/N601WR- Hide quoted text -

I downloaded the SL40 manual and it doesn't look like it has an aux
input, so I don't think you will be able to do what you want.
Old December 18th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig601XLBuilder

markt wrote:

I downloaded the SL40 manual and it doesn't look like it has an aux
input, so I don't think you will be able to do what you want.

I looked at the manual and didn't see it either but since I was only
looking at the 22 page operations manual I was hoping that it was a
feature that just wasn't listed.

Anyone know where an installation manual may be found? The Garmin site
only has the ops manual and a TSO letter.
Old December 19th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
markt

On Dec 18, 7:22 am, Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
markt wrote:

I downloaded the SL40 manual and it doesn't look like it has an aux
input, so I don't think you will be able to do what you want.

I looked at the manual and didn't see it either but since I was only
looking at the 22 page operations manual I was hoping that it was a
feature that just wasn't listed.

Anyone know where an installation manual may be found? The Garmin site
only has the ops manual and a TSO letter.

The ICOM A210, seems to have all the features of the SL40 and the
audio input. It is new so I doubt you could get a used one.
Old December 19th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig601XLBuilder

markt wrote:

I downloaded the SL40 manual and it doesn't look like it has an aux
input, so I don't think you will be able to do what you want.

I looked at the manual and didn't see it either but since I was only
looking at the 22 page operations manual I was hoping that it was a
feature that just wasn't listed.

Anyone know where an installation manual may be found? The Garmin site
only has the ops manual and a TSO letter.

The ICOM A210, seems to have all the features of the SL40 and the
audio input. It is new so I doubt you could get a used one.

I saw the ICOM on some A210 even new it's cost isn't much less than a
used SL30. I just hate buying the first generation of a new product like
that and I'm not that familiar with ICOM to begin with.

It does have the same primary feature I like in the SL40 which is the
ability to monitor the standby freq. Which in the limited space of my
601 is great because it gives me half of the benefits of a second radio.

I'll look at it further.