Flying in Mexico?

Old September 21st 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Resser

Default Flying in Mexico?

I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Old September 21st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 21, 8:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Personally, I've never seen rental planes in Mexico. Most GA planes
down there have N numbers and are owned by Americans.

-robert

Old September 21st 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:1190394485.237615.158800
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 21, 8:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Personally, I've never seen rental planes in Mexico. Most GA planes
down there have N numbers and are owned by Americans.

Or have no numbers and are not owned by anyone, according to the records.

If you rent one of those, try to steer clear of borders and military
vehicles.

Oh, and also other untraceable vehicles.
Old September 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 21, 8:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Personally, I've never seen rental planes in Mexico. Most GA planes
down there have N numbers and are owned by Americans.

Or have no numbers and are not owned by anyone, according to the records.

Where have you seen that? All fields in Mexico have heavy military
presence, it would be very, very difficult to have an unauthorized
aircraft in Mexico. Even when you land at remote dirt strips you are
always greeted by the military. My plane is much safer in Mexico than
in AZ (statistically).

-Robert

Old September 21st 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ups.com:

Where have you seen that? All fields in Mexico have heavy military
presence, it would be very, very difficult to have an unauthorized
aircraft in Mexico. Even when you land at remote dirt strips you are
always greeted by the military. My plane is much safer in Mexico than
in AZ (statistically).

Evidently, it was a poorer attempt at humor than I had hoped.

The implication being that an unregistered aircraft might be in danger if it
were observed by a military aircraft near a Mexican border.
Old September 22nd 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Judah wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Resser wrote:

I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas,
and was interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located
a GA airport nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal
renting? I'm a PPL from Europe...

Personally, I've never seen rental planes in Mexico. Most GA planes
down there have N numbers and are owned by Americans.

Or have no numbers and are not owned by anyone, according to the
records.

Where have you seen that? All fields in Mexico have heavy military
presence, it would be very, very difficult to have an unauthorized
aircraft in Mexico. Even when you land at remote dirt strips you are
always greeted by the military. My plane is much safer in Mexico than
in AZ (statistically).

As I recall, a few years back, one of the Unsers of autoracing fame had
his aircraft stolen in Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan, presumably by drug
courriers. It was turbocharged, and it seems the courriers have a liking
for turbos because of their high altitude field performance.
Old September 22nd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 21, 4:58 pm, James Robinson wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Judah wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Resser wrote:

[...]

for turbos because of their high altitude field performance.- Hide quoted text -

There was a T210 that was stolen near Pheonix a couple years ago that
was in a locked hanger with a prop lock on it. The guy stole the plane
right out of the hanger. In the U.S. when you go out to your plane to
preflight no one comes up and asks you for ID and documentation.

-robert

Old September 22nd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 21, 10:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Go to bajabushpilots you will find a lot of information. I believe you
need a US license to fly a N registered airplane in Mexico. If you
have a US license there is no issue flying in and out of Mexico, all
you need is liability insurance that covers Mexico.

Old September 22nd 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 21, 10:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Sorry, misunderstood your question. It will be very hard and expensive
for you to rent an airplane in Mexico. You probably can hire one with
pilot included again very expensive. You will not be able to fly a
Mexican registered airplane with a PPL from Europe.

Old September 22nd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 21, 10:46 am, Resser wrote:
I'm taking a holiday in Mexico, near Acapulco, around Christmas, and was
interested in doing some flying whilst there. I've located a GA airport
nearby and was wondering if anyone knew the deal renting?
I'm a PPL from Europe...

TIA

Unless the law has changed, you can't rent a Mexican registered
aircraft without a Mexican pilot license - and you can't get a Mexican
license unless you are a Mexican citizen. You might be able to find a
local charter with a Mexican pilot who will let you do some flying?
They are very protective of their little pilot community and don't
encourage competition from anyone.
Cheers and good luck

Mexico Al Eddie Soaring 3 September 7th 06 12:02 AM
Mexico Border TFR No that bad Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 45 June 30th 06 04:22 PM
Mexico hazard Rich S. Home Built 4 January 9th 06 11:42 PM
Flying to and in Mexico Birdbrain13 Home Built 4 August 26th 05 04:31 PM
Soaring in Mexico Arnold Pieper Soaring 12 November 17th 03 09:22 PM