From AVWeb: FAA Wants Help Eliminating Useless Rules

Old December 11th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default From AVWeb: FAA Wants Help Eliminating Useless Rules

Have you come across something that's arcane, anachronistic or just plain
useless in your travels through the regs? Well, the FAA says it wants to
know about it. The agency has issued a Review of Existing Regulations that
invites anyone with a beef about how the law of the air is now set to drop
them a line. "Getting public comments is a necessary element of our effort
to make our regulations more effective and less burdensome," the agency
claims in the document. It's asking that you list the top three aggravations
in descending order for it to consider. The FAA has to do this under
Executive Order 12866 and provides a long list of efforts toward that end.
"Our goal is to identify regulations that impose undue regulatory burden;
are no longer necessary; or overlay, duplicate, or conflict with other
Federal regulations," the document says.

Old December 11th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Have you come across something that's arcane, anachronistic or just plain
useless in your travels through the regs? Well, the FAA says it wants to
know about it. The agency has issued a Review of Existing Regulations that
invites anyone with a beef about how the law of the air is now set to drop
them a line. "Getting public comments is a necessary element of our effort
to make our regulations more effective and less burdensome," the agency
claims in the document. It's asking that you list the top three aggravations
in descending order for it to consider. The FAA has to do this under
Executive Order 12866 and provides a long list of efforts toward that end.
"Our goal is to identify regulations that impose undue regulatory burden;
are no longer necessary; or overlay, duplicate, or conflict with other
Federal regulations," the document says.

This is hilarious! Knowing the FAA as I have I'm guessing the most
likely scenario as this plays out will probably be the hiring of 400,000
new government workers to handle the suggestions from the aviation
community as the 165 million mailings that will be generated by this
announcement begin to come in. This will be followed by 117 meetings by
a specially convened panel formed to study the suggested changes
followed by a letter from the FAA to the aviation community at large
announcing that the comma in sentence 13 in paragraph 6 sub part B of
FAA regulation Part 1,086,359, 012 has been changed to a semi-colon; all
at a savings to the tax payer of one million five hundred thousand
dollars and sixty five cents from the five hundred and sixty three
million dollars it cost the FAA to conduct the study.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old December 12th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Have you come across something that's arcane, anachronistic or just plain
useless in your travels through the regs? Well, the FAA says it wants to
know about it. The agency has issued a Review of Existing Regulations that
invites anyone with a beef about how the law of the air is now set to drop
them a line. "Getting public comments is a necessary element of our effort
to make our regulations more effective and less burdensome," the agency
claims in the document. It's asking that you list the top three
aggravations in descending order for it to consider. The FAA has to do
this under Executive Order 12866 and provides a long list of efforts
toward that end. "Our goal is to identify regulations that impose undue
regulatory burden; are no longer necessary; or overlay, duplicate, or
conflict with other Federal regulations," the document says.

How about eliminating the whole FAA? That would solve a lot useless rules.
Jim in NC

Old December 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

They need to let me rewrite the rules so they meet common sense...

However, reality is that they will never consider that... The other
reality is that they are doing this under duress and have the absolute
intentions of not changing even one comma...

denny

Old December 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My first suggestion: Allow us spamcan drivers to place our antique
spamcans under an experimental-antique/owner maintained airworthiness
certification and let us maintain and alter them just like the amateur-
built experimentals. Organizations like the EAA and AOPA, type clubs,
and a network of DARs could provide all the technical guidance and
oversight for keeping the antique fleet safe and flying.
Old December 12th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:56:19 -0800 (PST), Denny
wrote:

They need to let me rewrite the rules so they meet common sense...

However, reality is that they will never consider that... The other
reality is that they are doing this under duress and have the absolute
intentions of not changing even one comma...

denny

So you don't know of any regulations that you feel meet the criteria
for this?

Old December 13th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Please post all the email addresses you think we should send our
comments to.

Rex

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sport_Aircraft/

On Dec 11, 10:22 am, "Gig 601XL Builder"

Old December 13th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:19:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Please post all the email addresses you think we should send our
comments to.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...7/E7-22346.htm
[Federal Register: November 15, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 220)]
[Proposed Rules]
[Page 64170-64171]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr15no07-24]

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Aviation Administration

14 CFR Chapters I and III

[Docket No. FAA-2007-29291]

Review of Existing Regulations

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, (FAA), DOT.

ACTION: Request for comments.

SUMMARY: The FAA requests comments from the public to identify those
regulations currently in effect that we should amend, remove, or
simplify. We are publishing this notice under our ongoing regulatory
review program required by Executive Order 12866. Getting public
comments is a necessary element of our effort to make our regulations
more effective and less burdensome.

DATES: Send us your comments no later than January 14, 2008.

ADDRESSES: You may send comments identified by Docket Number FAA-2007-
29291 using any of the following methods:
Government-wide rulemaking Web site: Go to
http://www.regulations.gov
and follow the instructions for sending your

comments electronically.
Mail: Send comments to the Docket Management Facility;
U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., West
Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590.
Fax: Fax comments to the Docket Management Facility at
202-493-2251.
Hand Delivery: Bring comments to the Docket Management
Facility in Room W12-140 of the West Building Ground Floor at 1200 New
Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday
through Friday, except Federal holidays.
For more information on the rulemaking process, see the
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.
Privacy: We will post all comments we receive, without change, to
http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information you

provide. Using the search function of our docket Web site, anyone can
find and read the comments received into any of our dockets, including
the name of the individual sending the comment (or signing the comment
for an association, business, labor union, etc.). You may review DOT's
complete Privacy Act Statement in the Federal Register published on
April 11, 2000 (65 FR 19477-78).
Docket: To read background documents or comments received, go to
http://www.regulations.gov at any time or to the Docket Management

Facility in Room W12-140 of the West Building Ground Floor at 1200 New
Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday
through Friday, except Federal holidays.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Adrian D. Wright, Office of
Rulemaking, ARM-103, Federal Aviation Administration, 800 Independence
Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20591; telephone (202) 267-3317; e-mail
.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background

Congress has authorized the Secretary of Transportation, and by
delegation, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
(FAA) to do the following, among other things:
Develop and maintain a sound regulatory system that is
responsive to the needs of the public,
Regulate air commerce in a way that best promotes safety
and fulfills national defense requirements, and
Oversee, license, and regulate commercial launch and
reentry activities and the operation of launch and reentry sites as
carried out by U.S. citizens or within the United States.
Anyone interested in further information about FAA's authority and
responsibilities should refer to Title 49 of the United States Code,
particularly Subtitle VII, Aviation Programs.
For many years, the FAA has maintained an active regulatory review
program:
In 1992, the President announced a regulatory review to
``weed out unnecessary and burdensome government regulations, which
impose needless costs on consumers and substantially impede economic
growth.'' In response to a request for public comments published in
the
Federal Register (57 FR 4744, February 7, 1992), the FAA received more
than 300 comments.
In August 1993, the National Commission to Ensure a Strong
Competitive Airline Industry (the Commission) recommended the FAA
undertake a short-range regulatory review to remove or amend existing
regulations to reduce regulatory burdens consistent with safety and
security considerations.
In September 1993, section 5 of Executive Order 12866 (58
FR 51735, October 4, 1993) required each agency to submit a program to
the Office of Management and Budget by December 31, 1993, under which
the agency will periodically review its existing significant
regulations to determine whether any should be changed or removed.
In January 1994, the FAA published a request for public
comments in response to the Commission recommendation and to
facilitate
the review envisioned by E.O. 12866 (59 FR 1362, January 10, 1994). We
received more than 400 comments from 184 commenters.
In August 1995, the FAA published its proposed plan for
periodic regulatory reviews for comment (60 FR 44142, August 24,
1995).
In October 1996, the FAA adopted its current plan for
periodic regulatory reviews based on a three-year cycle (61 FR 53610,
October 15, 1996).
In February 1997, the White House Commission on Aviation
Safety and Security recommended the FAA simplify its regulations.
In May 1997, the FAA published its first request for
comments under the three-year review program and in accord

[[Page 64171]]

with the Commission recommendation (62 FR 26894, May 15, 1997). We
received 82 comments and published results of the review in October
1998 (63 FR 56539, October 22, 1998).
In July 2000, the FAA began the second round of regulatory
review under the three-year program (65 FR 43265, July 13, 2000). We
received 476 comments and published results of the review in January
2002 (67 FR 4680, January 31, 2002).
In February 2004, the FAA began the third round of
regulatory review under the three-year program (65 FR 8575, February
25, 2004). We received 97 comments from 30 different commenters and
published results of the review in June 2007 (72 FR 34999, June 26,
2007).
In summary, since 1992 the FAA has completed five rounds of
regulatory review and has received approximately 1,350 comments.

Request for Comments

As part of its ongoing plan for periodic regulatory reviews, the
FAA is requesting the public identify three regulations, in priority
order, that it believes we should amend or eliminate.
Our goal is to identify regulations that impose undue regulatory
burden; are no longer necessary; or overlay, duplicate, or conflict
with other Federal regulations. In order to focus on areas of greatest
interest, and to effectively manage agency resources, the FAA asks
that
commenters responding to this notice limit their input to three issues
they consider most urgent, and to list them in priority order.
The FAA will review the issues addressed by the commenters against
its regulatory agenda and rulemaking program efforts and adjust its
regulatory priorities consistent with its statutory responsibilities.
At the end of this process, the FAA will publish a summary and general
disposition of comments and indicate, where appropriate, how we will
adjust our regulatory priorities.
Also, we request the public provide any specific suggestions where
rules could be developed as performance-based rather than
prescriptive,
and any specific plain-language that might be used, and provide
suggested language on how those rules should be written.

Issued in Washington, DC, on November 7, 2007.
Nick Sabatini,
Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety.
[FR Doc. E7-22346 Filed 11-14-07; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4910-13-P