Pre Buy Inspection at El Tiro Gliderport

Old April 19th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pre Buy Inspection at El Tiro Gliderport

Can anyone provide a reference for someone that can do a pre-buy inspection at El Tiro Gliderport? I've already seen the glider in person and feel its a safe purchase but wanted to get a second opinion if I could.

My two main concerns are the ballast system working after 10+ years of not being used and road worthiness of the trailer as it hasn't moved in 3 years.

Are those items typically evaluated on a pre-buy inspection?

I know you can take the bags out and fill them for leak checks, but not sure how the valves can be tested.

Is it possible to check brakes and bears by simply jacking the trailer up and listening for rubbing in the wheels?

Thanks for any advice.

Old April 19th 19, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Welp....

Knowing more on info on the ship and trailer helps......
What is "OK" on one ship is garbage on another ship.......

I am no where near you or the ship, but more info may help others closer to you/can make a recommendation is another....
Old April 20th 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

David,
It would help to know the type and age of the ship and trailer, but experience tells me to expect leaky water bags and OK valves. I would buy new tires for sure and expect marginal brakes, but towing will be OK if your towing with a full size vehicle.........I use a F-150.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old April 23rd 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its a Ls-6c, possibly the last ls-6c imported in the USA. The trailer is a cobra trailer of that early 2000s generation.
Old April 24th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:50:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Can anyone provide a reference for someone that can do a pre-buy inspection at El Tiro Gliderport? I've already seen the glider in person and feel its a safe purchase but wanted to get a second opinion if I could.

My two main concerns are the ballast system working after 10+ years of not being used and road worthiness of the trailer as it hasn't moved in 3 years.

Are those items typically evaluated on a pre-buy inspection?

I know you can take the bags out and fill them for leak checks, but not sure how the valves can be tested.

Is it possible to check brakes and bears by simply jacking the trailer up and listening for rubbing in the wheels?

Thanks for any advice.

I'd pay for someone's airline ticket to inspect a plane before I buy it. too much money / safety on the line.
Old April 24th 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have had problems in the past doing pre-purchase inspections. Once, I drove an hour and a half, inspected the bird and told the buyer I couldn’t recommend buying the it. He thanked me and wrote a check................you guessed it, the check bounced!
Another time I drove an hour and inspected a damaged bird, then submitted an estimate to the insurance company. I got the job, but the adjuster refused to pay my hours incurred in providing the estimate.
Nowadays, I’ll give you a free inspection, but only at my shop!
JJ
Old April 24th 19, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

JJ, why would/should you offer a free inspection? I expect it’s several hours of your work and you and any A&P should be paid for that.

With unknown purchasers, and travel required, it would seem reasonable to require significant payment in advance for travel/inspection.
Old April 25th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 11:50:54 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Can anyone provide a reference for someone that can do a pre-buy inspection at El Tiro Gliderport? I've already seen the glider in person and feel its a safe purchase but wanted to get a second opinion if I could.

My two main concerns are the ballast system working after 10+ years of not being used and road worthiness of the trailer as it hasn't moved in 3 years.

Are those items typically evaluated on a pre-buy inspection?

I know you can take the bags out and fill them for leak checks, but not sure how the valves can be tested.

Is it possible to check brakes and bears by simply jacking the trailer up and listening for rubbing in the wheels?

Thanks for any advice.

David,
Your idea of jacking the trailer and listening is a good one but keep in mind the bearings might have to be pretty bad for you to "Hear" much. I've done more work on trailers than I care to recall (Up to replacing the metal lower panels on a Cobra trailer) and I will tell you without reservation that the vast majority of pilots never do any kind of preventative maintenance.. Just expect the same and price this into your offer.

You said you "Feel it is a safe purchase" and I don't think the bags and valves are a big ticket item. If you feel safe otherwise just assume the worst and price new bags into your offer. I don't know about LS6 valves but I serviced mine with new O rings and all new stainless bolts for a few bucks. If you can't find anyone for an inspection pulling the bags is no big deal (I've seen this done out in the open at contests) and had to do it myself on the road once. Plan a few hours or just rig the ship and fill it and see if it leaks.
Good Luck!
Old April 25th 19, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As I recall, the LS-6 has a single fill/dump valve in the fuselage
behind the seat and a T-fitting to join the two wing bags to the dump
valve.Â* The fill/dump hole is in the bottom of the fuselage behind the
landing gear.Â* It should be cheap to replace or trivial to service given
there are service parts available.Â* All these parts appeared to me to be
hardware store materials.Â* But then, I was not the first owner of the
ship...

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 27th 19, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On 4/24/2019 7:09 PM, K m wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about the trailer - Cobras are well-built and spend a lot of their life just sitting. Tires, on the other hand, are likely to be shot after sitting in the Arizona heat. Likewise water bags and fittings. I wouldn't bother with an inspection, just assume that there's a good chance they may be in bad shape. We Arizona pilots deal with these issues all the time..

Mike

Closing of a gliderport, but not the end. [email protected] Soaring 2 June 17th 16 04:07 AM
New Gliderport [email protected] Soaring 13 April 2nd 14 06:57 PM
Only at a gliderport SAM 303a Soaring 5 August 18th 06 02:53 PM
El Tiro Pam Kurstjens Soaring 3 July 14th 05 05:19 AM