Thermalling Primary Gliders

Old April 25th 19, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Thermalling Primary Gliders

I'm interested to know if primary gliders were capable of soaring flights or if they only flew short hops.

The SG 38, for example, has a sink rate of 1.3 m/s so in theory it's possible. I'd be very interested to hear of any stories about soaring one of these gliders.
Old April 25th 19, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 11:19:38 AM UTC+2, wrote:
I'm interested to know if primary gliders were capable of soaring flights or if they only flew short hops.

The SG 38, for example, has a sink rate of 1.3 m/s so in theory it's possible. I'd be very interested to hear of any stories about soaring one of these gliders.

Its certainly possible. We can do it in Condor, if the thermal is stronger than 2 m/s and the towplane drops you in the lift. Then you have the problem of getting to the next thermal at 8:1.

You 1.3 m/s sink rate is wrong for the SG38. Its actually 1.8 m/s min sink and 2 m/s at best glide.
Old April 25th 19, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 02:19:36 -0700, ashmanthefirst wrote:

I'm interested to know if primary gliders were capable of soaring
flights or if they only flew short hops.

The SG 38, for example, has a sink rate of 1.3 m/s so in theory it's
possible. I'd be very interested to hear of any stories about soaring
one of these gliders.

Yes - a few years back I remember reading a story about one that was
thermalled as part its display in a Gemman airshow. The main problem was
that, without airbrakes, its pilot couldn't get it down and held up the
rest of the show for 45 mins.

Slipping it wouldn't help much because primary gliders have very little
side area and no dihedral.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 28th 19, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:19:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm interested to know if primary gliders were capable of soaring flights or if they only flew short hops.

With an 8 to 1 glide and sink rate of 255 fpm they would be very comparable to modern single surface hang gliders and they are easily soared often. XC flights of 100 miles or more have been done on such gliders by experienced pilots in good conditions.
Old April 28th 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 4:21:48 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:

With an 8 to 1 glide and sink rate of 255 fpm they would be very comparable to modern single surface hang gliders and they are easily soared often. XC flights of 100 miles or more have been done on such gliders by experienced pilots in good conditions.

A slow minimum sink speed allows a tighter turn radius to core very small thermals.

Old April 28th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:13:12 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

A slow minimum sink speed allows a tighter turn radius to core very
small thermals.

Did you mean flying speed?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Thermalling, Anyone! Dan Marotta Soaring 15 March 4th 13 11:39 PM
Modern Primary Gliders - for veedubber. Stealth Pilot[_2_] Home Built 3 September 25th 08 04:07 PM
PRIMARY GLIDERS [email protected] Home Built 2 September 21st 08 08:40 PM
Thermalling the D2 Fox Two Soaring 9 November 2nd 06 11:01 PM
The new art of thermalling - with a kite... [email protected] Soaring 3 July 30th 06 04:06 AM