Microphone Cabel

Old April 27th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Microphone Cabel

To all the avionics-buffs out there in glider-land:
What is the proper designation for the type of microphone cable used to run from the 'Becker-' or 'Dittel-' speaker box to the radio on the panel? The one sample I have has two wires (white and brown) surrounded by a copper braided shield plus two fiberglass strands - presumably to add tensile strength - in it. Need a few feet of it to avoid splicing it.

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'
Old April 27th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 09:37:42 -0700, AS wrote:

To all the avionics-buffs out there in glider-land:
What is the proper designation for the type of microphone cable used to
run from the 'Becker-' or 'Dittel-' speaker box to the radio on the
panel? The one sample I have has two wires (white and brown) surrounded
by a copper braided shield plus two fiberglass strands - presumably to
add tensile strength - in it. Need a few feet of it to avoid splicing
it.

Shielded stereo cable works for me. That's a figure 8 cross-section
cable, with each half containing a stranded copper wire inside a braided
copper outer layer. One side connects the speaker, the other side
connects the mic. Runs to a plastic junction box on the cockpit wall that
contains the speaker and acts as a base for the mic's gooseneck.

First installed when I fitted an ATR-500 radio and now used with the
Dittel KRT2 that replaced the ATR-500 when 8.33 channel spacing became a
requirement.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 28th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Suitable cable is available from pro sound suppliers, they call it Mic cable, ironically. The best brand is Canare, with two core and 2x2 core available.
Old April 28th 19, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 9:15:19 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Suitable cable is available from pro sound suppliers, they call it Mic cable, ironically. The best brand is Canare, with two core and 2x2 core available.

Thanks guys! I was wondering if there is a preferred AWG or mm^2 for the leads one should not cut below.

Uli
'AS'
Old April 28th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 6:56:13 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 9:15:19 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Suitable cable is available from pro sound suppliers, they call it Mic cable, ironically. The best brand is Canare, with two core and 2x2 core available.

Thanks guys! I was wondering if there is a preferred AWG or mm^2 for the leads one should not cut below.

Uli
'AS'

I use all the usual suspects (Mogami, Canare, Belden, Whirlwind, etc) at work, but would recommend using Tefzel microphone cable. Available from aviation or electronic suppliers. 22AWG will be fine. Get the two conductor plus shield stuff. If the microphone only has one conductor plus shield (unbalanced), connect the second conductor to the same place as the shield and it will help with noise reduction. Not as good as using a balanced microphone but better than nothing.
Jim
Old April 28th 19, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 11:37:44 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
To all the avionics-buffs out there in glider-land:
What is the proper designation for the type of microphone cable used to run from the 'Becker-' or 'Dittel-' speaker box to the radio on the panel? The one sample I have has two wires (white and brown) surrounded by a copper braided shield plus two fiberglass strands - presumably to add tensile strength - in it. Need a few feet of it to avoid splicing it.

Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

Uli,

To run wiring from the speaker box to the transceiver you will need 5 or 6 conductor shielded (Tefzel) cabling for; mic, mic ground, PTT, speaker, non-mic ground.

You can find complete wiring schematics for both Dittel and Becker speaker boxes in my presentation at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen...s/#transceiver.

If you are simply extending the cable from the microphone to the speaker box
you can use 1 or 2 conductor shielded (Tefzel) cable.

- John OHM Ω
Old April 28th 19, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 7:39:03 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

What Jim says...

Panel Mount Microphone Robert Ballou Soaring 13 February 6th 17 12:19 AM
Boom microphone ASM Soaring 0 June 30th 12 04:55 PM
Bluetooth Microphone? Gary Emerson Soaring 2 October 27th 07 11:18 PM
Connection of second microphone yuval Soaring 2 January 14th 07 09:34 PM
Telex 500T Microphone... DGRTEK Soaring 0 July 15th 03 10:55 PM