What is the Average Age?

Old October 20th 07, 02:00 AM
Flutter Flutter is offline
Junior Member

Default What is the Average Age?

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned 15
i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all over 50
is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?
Old October 20th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Flutter writes:

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15 i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50 is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

In the United States, the average private pilot is in his mid-40s. I suspect
this is so because it takes that long for the average aspiring pilot to save
up enough money to actually be able to fly around a bit. However, if you have
a private pilot's license at 15, you're not in the United States, and I'm not
sure how the demographics look in other countries.
Old October 20th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Flutter writes:

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15 i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50 is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

In the United States, the average private pilot is in his mid-40s. I
suspect this is so because it takes that long for the average aspiring
pilot to save up enough money to actually be able to fly around a bit.

Nope. Only you fjukkwit.

However, if you have a private pilot's license at 15, you're not in
the United States, and I'm not sure how the demographics look in other
countries.

My my, you don't read so good, do you?

I had a pilot's licence, in the US at 13 and anyone still could..

Fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old October 20th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50
is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

My son is 17, and should have his ticket (if the weather would ever
cooperate) before the end of the year. I didn't earn mine till I was
35. My wife didn't get hers until she was 37.

The aviation industry has traditionally done a TERRIBLE job of
marketing itself. I don't think it's the money as much as the lack of
knowledge amongst the general public about how easy and accessible
general aviation really *is*.

Hopefully that is starting to change, as desperation finally starts to
sink in.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 20th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Flutter" wrote in message

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15

What country?

i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though
All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50 is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

At least here in the US, your average pilot is probably over 50 as you have
noticed. Hang around flight schools and you will find the younger folks
teaching and learning.

Having old guys around is not all bad. When I first got my Private license,
I informally teamed up with a retired airline pilot who had lost his medical.
We flew a lot together, shared expenses, and sort of mentored each other. It
was a great experience for both of us.

If you are thinking of making a living flying, you can be cheered by the
sure knowledge that many of those those old folks will be out of the business by
the time you are ready for the left seat of your Boeing.

Vaughn

Vaughn

Old October 20th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Flutter wrote:

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15
i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50
is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

You either got a glider rating or live outside the US. I got my private
ticket at 19, but am well over that age now.
Old October 20th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Flutter" wrote in message

As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15 i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50 is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

The average US pilot age of all types is 45.6, and is increasing each year.

Average Age Pilots (page 30)
Year All Student Recreational Sport Private Commercial Airline
2006 45.6 34.4 51.5 52.9 47.7 46.1 48.1

The total number of pilots of all types is 597,109 and is decreasing each
year. (page 28)

http://www.gama.aero/resources/statistics/index.php

Old October 21st 07, 01:56 AM
Flutter Flutter is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn Simon View Post
"Flutter" wrote in message

[...]

i agree completely with that older men give you great advice
i was the only person in my lesson thing but in the clubhouse at night it was great listening to all the stories that everyone had
i live in Australia by the way
Old October 21st 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Tom Conner" wrote:

The average US pilot age of all types is 45.6, and is increasing each year.

The average age in the US of everyone appears to be increasing, not just pilots.
At least that's what I can glean from a quick look through www.census.gov

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old October 21st 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al Borowski

On Oct 20, 11:00 am, Flutter
wrote:
As a new pilot, i got my license (not even a month ago) when i turned
15
i still dont know anyone who is anywhere near my age yet though

All the men who i met while learning where great people but where all
over 50
is there actually anyone out there who is under 20?

Low 20's here, but strictly speaking I don't have a private yet (over
half way there, hopefully). I have the Australian equivalent of a
Sport Pilot license and also fly motorgliders.

I'm not sure I'll even use my PPL much once I get it; if I wanted to
take 4 people somewhere it'd be almost cheaper to hire 2x RAA 2 seat
"ultralights" then to hire a 172. My last GA cross-country cost me
almost a weeks wages

Cheers

Al

Average lifespan of a business jet? GrtArtiste Owning 12 February 15th 07 05:40 PM
Average price per qt/case 15W50? Doug Vetter Owning 15 March 30th 06 05:01 AM
Career Change - Full-time CFI: Average Flight Hours per year? Peter Gibbons Piloting 22 January 19th 04 12:02 AM
Average brokerage fee? sue t Piloting 5 December 19th 03 08:02 PM
on average 17 attacks on US forces a day Jim Military Aviation 0 October 15th 03 08:06 PM