90 Degree turn while slipping

Old February 7th 04, 04:30 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Definitely a troll.
Old February 7th 04, 05:30 PM
Mark James Boyd

Vaughn wrote:

That said, a slip/skid indicator costs a whole $45.00 at Wings& Wheels
and there is no reason for any trainer to be without one.

I wonder if one can get an experimental version at
Orchard Supply for $2.35...

:P
Old February 7th 04, 08:20 PM
Bruce Hoult

In article
,
"Vaughn" wrote:

I should tell my early-solo students that a missing or stuck yaw string
is sufficient reason for them to make a non-standard pattern, make
deliberately uncoordinated and little-practiced turns near the ground, and
give up the advantage of a correctly functioning IAS? I don't think so!

I once hired an ASK-21 (the one at Turf that crashed recently :-( ), and
on two flights I found after takeoff that the yaw string had got caught
by the front canopy and was inoperative.

It was unnerving at first, but didn't seem to make any difference to
being able to soar sucessfully.

-- Bruce
Old February 7th 04, 09:21 PM
Vaughn

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
Vaughn wrote:

That said, a slip/skid indicator costs a whole $45.00 at Wings&

Wheels
and there is no reason for any trainer to be without one.

I wonder if one can get an experimental version at
Orchard Supply for $2.35...

I have seen bubble levels used, they work in the opposite direction
from a slip/skid (same as the yaw string), are excessively sensitive, but
the one I flew with seemed to agree with the yaw string.

Vaughn

:P

Old February 7th 04, 11:44 PM
Mark James Boyd

www.aircraft-spruce.com $34.

but the real long, sensitive ones at store.wagaero.com
look about in this price range too, and a selection of 5...

Old February 8th 04, 01:19 AM
Vaughn

www.aircraft-spruce.com $34.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ntoc.p...slipindicators $24.50

Old February 8th 04, 02:59 PM
Mark James Boyd

www.aircraft-spruce.com $34.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ntoc.p...slipindicators $24.50

Somewhere in these there is a 6" long indicator with
10 degrees incremented on either side! This sooms like pretty good
resolution! Experts only, of course, since for a poor
new student, this might really be a confidence breaker (jus' can't get
that thing the last 1/6th of a degree on) :P

Old February 8th 04, 04:45 PM
Bill Daniels

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message

www.aircraft-spruce.com $34.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ntoc.p...slipindicators

$24.50

Somewhere in these there is a 6" long indicator with
10 degrees incremented on either side! This sooms like pretty good
resolution! Experts only, of course, since for a poor
new student, this might really be a confidence breaker (jus' can't get
that thing the last 1/6th of a degree on) :P

I have a 6" ball indicator and tried it in a glider. The result was that
the ball stayed perfectly in the center while the yaw string was all over
the place. Clearly, it's not sensitive enough.

Bill Daniels

Old February 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Eric Greenwell

Chris OCallaghan wrote:
Mixed feelings about slips... can be very useful, but most instances
of need can be attended to before needed, as others in the thread have
pointed out.

Frozen airbrakes are one of these. If you intend to fly at altitude,
or anytime the temperature is below freezing, a layer of vaseline
between the mating surfaces will tyically prevent them freezing
together.

The only time I had the spoilers freeze shut was when a light shower
came through just as I was preparing to tow. We waited until it passed,
then towed off. It turned into a wave flight, freezing the brakes shut,
which I discovered during the descent. They released in the warmer air
at about 4000' agl, so no problem.

Has anyone had the spoilers freeze shut without having rain first, and
without flying in cloud?
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old February 9th 04, 06:19 AM
Atacdad

My instructor had me do this the last time I was up. Actually, he told me
to hold the aircraft (2-33) high in the pattern so that I was at "800-1000'
abeam of the numbers", then set it down, he didn't say how...that was the
excercise for the student(me). There was a slight crosswind and a bit more
(landing)headwind as well. 3-5kts by 5-10kts at ground level. It was an
*interesting* ride. I went to full slip, full spoilers and extended the
downwind leg a bit, then 1/2 spoilers and less rudder to let the slip turn
to base (didn't know how much altitude I'd lose in the turn), held slip and
spoilers on base, 1/2 spoilers and less rudder to slip turn to final. The
crosswind was opposite the slip (left pattern, right to left x-wind on
final) so closed spoilers and converted from left slip to right slip (that
was the *interesting* part...never did that in a pattern before...can't let
the track wander) and laid on full spoilers, did a normal slip to
landing...yes I reduce spoilers on final just before flare...the 2-33 is a
barge and flares like one too. An indestructable barge, but a barge
nonetheless.

AT

"ISoar" wrote in message
I can't find anything in my books about how to make a 90 degree turn
(e.g., downwind to base) while in a full slip, but maybe that's
because it's so obvious. (Given my limited # hours, just because
something seems obvious to me doesn't mean I'm not going to check it
out.) I figure I'll turn with roll input, but can't picture the side
effects from doing that. If I know the side effects I can have a
chance of being ahead of the plane during the maneuver.

Anyway, is there going to be any adverse yaw from turning in this
mode? Even if there is, I don't think I can do anything about it,
but enquiring minds want to know. The other question is if the
attitude going to change as a side effect of the roll input. This
will be in a 2-33.

Thanks