PW-5's can't even win in their own class!

Old February 10th 04, 12:36 AM
Liam Finley

Default PW-5's can't even win in their own class!

Check out the cumulative results for the "Sports-PW5" class in NZ:

http://glidingmatamata.co.nz/competi...sports-pw5.htm

Priceless.
Old February 10th 04, 03:27 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
(Liam Finley) wrote:

Check out the cumulative results for the "Sports-PW5" class in NZ:

http://glidingmatamata.co.nz/competi...sports-pw5.htm

Priceless.

I don't understand your point and I don't think you do either.

This is not "the PW5's own class". It is the "sports" class, which is a
handicapped contest in which a PW5 gets its nominal score while a K6 has
its task time reduced by a few percent in order to make it possible for
any glider in the contest to win, depending on pilot skill rather than
the type of glider flown. Which is exactly what is happening.

-- Bruce
Old February 10th 04, 11:38 PM
JohnD

In your cups again eh Liam? Perhaps you should wait until tomorrow
after the hangover has past and then give it a bit more thought why
don't ye?

Old February 11th 04, 01:51 AM
G.Kurek

Priceless?
Look at last year's US World Class Nationals results, Sebastian Kawa
took a second place after missing 2 days of the contest (and he missed
the first place by millimeters) - learning of how to fly the Pw-5
that's priceless!
Old February 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Paul

The sad part.
There are 23 PW 5 s here in NZ.
22 of those reside in the North Island. A half days drive from Matamata ( at
the most ) where the contest was held.
Only 4 fronted up.

om...

Old February 12th 04, 07:44 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Paul" wrote:
The sad part.
There are 23 PW 5 s here in NZ.
22 of those reside in the North Island. A half days drive from Matamata ( at
the most ) where the contest was held.
Only 4 fronted up.

That does seem sad -- I remember having a lot more than that at the PW5
nationals I attended in Masterton a couple of years back.

I was at least quadruple booked with non-work things to do last week:

- PW5 nats

- Wellington Gliding club camp at Kauwhata

- invitation to stay at friends' bach

- organizing and attending 2nd International Dylan Hacker's
Conference (http://www.gwydiondylan.org/dhc2004.phtml)

I don't know what anyone else's excuse was :-)

-- Bruce
Old February 12th 04, 01:12 PM
Owain Walters

Liam,

Dont worry mate. The irony wasnt lost on me, I thought
it was funny.

Saying that, I also laugh every time I see one of those
sperm cells with wings when I go past them in my 31
year old glider which is 1/2 the price!

Owain

Old February 12th 04, 02:50 PM
Ben Flewett

Wouldn't it be great if whoever ends up buying LS allows
either LS4s or LS8s to be manufactured under license
as the new world class glider? (Assuming strict quality
controls were put in place to prevent further Eastern
Block atrocities).

The concept of a World Class is excellent. We just
need to switch these Polish flashes of brilliance for
a proper glider.

Old February 12th 04, 03:58 PM
Detlev Hoppenrath

Ever flew one of these sperm cells (funny, here in Germany we use the same
term, actually it would translate to "flying sperm cells)? Not too bad. To
be honest - I don't care how the bird looks as long as it flies halfways
decently.

However - even as a peewee pilot I would not go so far to say that the
little beauty is a performance miracle. But you know why I fly it? I am 2
meters tall and it is one of the few planes I am comfortable in... And
that's really funny, considered how small it is (always a good laugh for
bystanders to see me unfolding out of the little thing).

Detlev
--
http://gliding.hoppenrath.com
http://www.alpenstreckenflug.de