1-34 Rudder

Old February 13th 04, 05:53 PM
DGRTEK

Default 1-34 Rudder

Serious question. I've spoken to several pilots regarding the handling
characteristics of the 1-34, and the general comment was that the Rudder could
have been a bit more effective.

My question is, Has anyone tried to modify the rudder to be more effective?
What would be the result of adding a small tab to the trailing edge of the
rudder? I'm not concerned with legality now, I'm curious to know if it could
be done. TIA

Douglas

Old February 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Shawn Curry

DGRTEK wrote:
Serious question. I've spoken to several pilots regarding the handling
characteristics of the 1-34, and the general comment was that the Rudder could
have been a bit more effective.

My question is, Has anyone tried to modify the rudder to be more effective?
What would be the result of adding a small tab to the trailing edge of the
rudder? I'm not concerned with legality now, I'm curious to know if it could
be done. TIA

Douglas

Its been a while since I've flown a 1-34, but my recollection is it has
reasonable rudder effectiveness. Lots better than a Grob 103. Never
noticed, but does it run out of rudder when the stick is cranked all the
way over going into a tight thermal? Did those you talked to think it
should be modified?
I guess my thought is, if its only a problem a small part of the time,
why hassle with it?

Shawn
Old February 13th 04, 09:54 PM
Nolaminar

Modification to an aircraft with an Standard Airworthiness? Probably not worth
the paperwork/engineering effort.
GA
Old February 13th 04, 11:17 PM
DGRTEK

That's what everyone keeps telling me! I'm still curious though as to what it
would take to give it a bit more "rudder".

I have a simplistic view in my head of a small extension. I'm just wondering
what it would really take.

Douglas

Old February 14th 04, 01:47 AM
Shawn Curry

DGRTEK wrote:

That's what everyone keeps telling me! I'm still curious though as to what it
would take to give it a bit more "rudder".

I have a simplistic view in my head of a small extension. I'm just wondering
what it would really take.

Douglas

Hmm! OK, I always liked the one I flew fine like it was :-)
I agree with the crowd. The hassle (337? STC?) would be a big pain for
very little gain.

Shawn
Old February 14th 04, 03:45 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

DGRTEK wrote:
Serious question. I've spoken to several pilots regarding the handling
characteristics of the 1-34, and the general comment was that the Rudder could
have been a bit more effective.

I guess it depends what you compare it to. I've been pretty happy
flying our club's 1-34 (the few times I have). Compared to your Grob
103, it's really not a problem at all.

Jeremy
Old February 14th 04, 03:41 PM
Roy Bourgeois

Doug:

Actually - your observation is quite perceptive. The 1-34 IS a bit
under-ruddered. However, the problem is not it's size but rather the
fuselage length and the distance of the rudder from the center of the yaw
axis. The 1-34 original design concept was to be a "metalized" Slingsby
Dart - with optional 15 or 17m wings. Schweizer only made 1 set of 17
meter wings (nobody wanted them) but they made the fuselage much longer
than necessary for a 15m ship. Compare the fuselage length between the
1-34 and the 1-35 - both are 15m gliders but there is something like a 40"
difference between center of yaw axis and the rudder hinge line. So - you
would have to make the rudder much, much, bigger on the 1-34 to have a
significant effect (and that creates a weight and balance problem because
the weight is so far back).

This is why the big open class gliders like the Nimbus 3 have spoilers on
the wing tips to help the rudder. Because of the fuselage length needed
for the long wings - you can't make a rudder big enough.

Roy B.

Old February 14th 04, 05:19 PM
Eric Greenwell

Roy Bourgeois wrote:
[...]

I'm confused: are you saying the 1-34 has a weak rudder because the
fuselage is too long? If you are, could you explain how extra length is
a problem, because normally that increases tail effectiveness.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA