Vought F7U Cutlass

Old May 15th 05, 11:18 PM
Jim

Default Vought F7U Cutlass

For those who might be interested the current edition, volume 15, of
International Air Power Review has an indepth analysis of the type.
Old May 22nd 05, 12:27 AM
Jim

Jim wrote:
For those who might be interested the current edition, volume 15, of
International Air Power Review has an indepth analysis of the type.

Curious, do we have any "Gutless Cutlass" drivers among us anymore?

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Founder: rec.aviation.military.naval
RAMN
Old May 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
JD

My cousin by marriage frequently flew the Cutlass at Pax River. He liked
it as a flyer. When I referred to it as gutless, he asked if I ever saw
anything in that period that wasn't a bit gutless..... He did mention the
AB design was poor at first due to an issue in the way fuel was supplied to
the burners.
He's something of an authority. He flew most Navy fighters from the
early 50's through the early 70's and commanded the USS Constellation in
addition to CAG tours, CO of an F-4 command, Navy Flight Test School, etc.
Said the constant maintenance issues ruined it as a squadron bird. He
said 3 out of 8 in flying condition was pretty good.

Old May 24th 05, 03:21 AM
R Leonard

Jim wrote:

Curious, do we have any "Gutless Cutlass" drivers among us anymore?

My father flew the F7U while XO of VX-3 in 1954. Also flew it in his
next assignment, CO VX-5. Still with us.

Rich

Old May 24th 05, 07:29 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

I remember a video of a Cutlass trapping when the nose strut compressed to
the point where the ejection seat was fired throwing the pilot and seat into
the recovery pack of aircraft on the forward flight deck. But the trap was
probably still "OK, three wire".

end