Heart trouble

Old July 13th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Heart trouble

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 13th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tina

Re a-fib, very very common. May not screw up your medical, There are
meds that work to control it, but ablation seems like a sure cure for
many. If it's serious you MUST get onto an aggressive anticoagulant,
check with your MD. Coumadin is most often used.

You'll be told a-fib is not life threatening, that no one dies of it.
That's true, BUT that turbulant blood flow can cause clots, and those
can cause strokes, that's why an anti coagulant is needed.

Treat this a a layman's advice, but check with your doctor. There are
good heart places, and then most others. Be sure you're seeing one of
the best.

lantOn Jul 13, 10:36 am, C J Campbell

Old July 13th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-13 07:46:03 -0700, Tina said:

Re a-fib, very very common. May not screw up your medical, There are
meds that work to control it, but ablation seems like a sure cure for
many. If it's serious you MUST get onto an aggressive anticoagulant,
check with your MD. Coumadin is most often used.

You'll be told a-fib is not life threatening, that no one dies of it.
That's true, BUT that turbulant blood flow can cause clots, and those
can cause strokes, that's why an anti coagulant is needed.

Hah! Not exactly comforting. I got extremely small veins, you know. It
takes 'em four or five tries to get a blood test. :-)

They gave me Warfarin, which is a coumadin derivative.

I think that is the main thing -- making sure that:
a) Whatever caused it is not life threatening, it coming on so suddenly and
b) Whatever medication they give me doesn't ground me.

Old July 13th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dale[_3_]

In article 2007071307362816807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom,
C J Campbell wrote:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

BT,DT with the A-fib. A-fib is the most common arythmia...not a big
deal in most cases.

I had a bought of A-fib back in '03. I had to have several tests done.
One is the wearing of a 24 hour heart monitor (they'll want to know if
it happens a lot or if it was a one time deal). I had to have an
echocardiagram done (sonogram of the heart) to make sure the hearts
structure was good. In my case (I have very good insurance) we also did
a heart catherization. I did a stress EKG also.

In my case it was determined to be "lone a-fib" and the local head AME
signed me off to get back in the cockpit. A-fib is very common and even
guys with Class 1 medicals have it and are still flying.

My suggestions:

Find a GOOD cardiologist that specializes in electro physciology. A fib
is a wiring problem, it is not a plumbing problem.

Find an AME that specializes in working with the FAA on "problem"
medicals. These folks are worth their weight in gold.

For me things went south 18 months ago. I was diagnosed with Brugada
Syndrome and have been grounded. Supposedly my file is in DC being
reviewed but I don't have any hope of it being reinstated....I've
started looking at sailboats for sail. G

your condition and Brugada. If you haven't already, Google A-fib
and Brugada. A-fib is very common in Brugada folks. Brugada usually
kills you so make sure that isn't an issue.
Old July 13th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stubby[_2_]

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

The exact same thing happened to me. Other responders discuss the
treatments, etc.
But, when I saw my AME, I told him the I had developed A-fib. He said, "You
didn't put it on your application for your Medical Certificate, did you?"
Well, I did. He explained that he wanted to work with me on the exact
wording as to not put up a red flag for the FAA.

The FAA has not asked me for any additional documentation, so I suppose I
passed. Also, because I don't notice any symptoms, I have not asked for a
"conversion" to get the rhythm back to normal -- too scary!

Old July 13th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Sorry to hear it.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:36:28 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote in
2007071307362816807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom:

It came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all.

What prompted the EKG last December?

Old July 13th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tina

Warfarin is the genetic version of Coumadin. The anti coag clinics
around Duke University Hospital like to Rx Coumadin since they say its
results are a little more predictable -- fewer batch to batch
variations.

The INR test, which is used to measure the effectiveness of the
warfarin, can be be done with a finger stick drop of blood. If your
facility is doing a venipuncture, they are a bit outdated. Find
another anti coag clinic if your place has trouble finding a reliable
vein.

Warfarin is very good, BUT! You have to eat a fairly steady diet of
greens, you can't have a lot one week and none the next, the INR will
go all over the place.

Also, if you get a cold or start throwing up, or do some heavy
workouts that are uncommon, your INRs can really go from the useful
range (2 to 3, more or less) to 10 or more, and that's getting to
where you can have internal bleeding. Just be aware, if you suddenly
start bruising easily or bleeding a lot when you floss, or have black
stools, to go have your INR checked. Don't wait. Be really aware if
you suddenly change your diet. These things happen very rarely, the
chances are small that they will happen to you, but you want to be
aware and alert anyhow.

The data goes something like this: if you don't take an anti coagulant
like warfarin, your chances of stroking can be about 10 or 12% a year.
If you do take it, your chances are less than the average person of
your age and condition (which might be 3 or 5% a year). Oh, and
aspirin is only about a third as effective as warfarin.

The meds that are often suggested to control a-fib have some evidence
of working, at least for a while. Tikosyn, for example, seems to work
for many people for a couple of years.

A-fib becomes increasingly common as we age, it may not go away on
its own. Only in really bad cases will someone become light headed or
pass out. I don't know anything about FAA physicals but if you're
asymptomatic I'd guess the outlook would be good. You didn't even know
you had it until you took a routine EKG, right?.

One last thing. RF ablation (which may in the next decade become the
standard of care for a-fib) is done on an out patient basis at Duke.

Remember, I'm a non professional source of information, validate what
I say with your electrocardiologist. And by all means you should be
talking with one of those, and not a cardiologist. Although a
cardiologist can be helpful, it would be much better to deal with
someone who is more in tune with the electrophysology of your heart.

Tina

Old July 13th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

How do you know if you have a-fib? i.e. how did you know to go to the doc?
Do you feel faint, or a vibration in your chest?

Just curious.

Hilton

Old July 13th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Allen[_1_]

"Tina" wrote in message
ps.com...
Warfarin is the genetic version of Coumadin. The anti coag clinics
around Duke University Hospital like to Rx Coumadin since they say its
results are a little more predictable -- fewer batch to batch
variations.

When I was a kid on the farm Warfarin was in the bait we set out for the
rats (not that I am implying anything here). Sorry to hear this CJ.

Allen

Old July 13th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-13 12:33:16 -0700, "Allen" said:

"Tina" wrote in message
ps.com...
Warfarin is the genetic version of Coumadin. The anti coag clinics
around Duke University Hospital like to Rx Coumadin since they say its
results are a little more predictable -- fewer batch to batch
variations.

When I was a kid on the farm Warfarin was in the bait we set out for the
rats (not that I am implying anything here). Sorry to hear this CJ.

Allen

Oh good. Rat poison. Maybe I could save a ton of money by a trip out to
the garage...