High performance?

Old August 16th 12, 03:53 PM
DavidPvlch DavidPvlch is offline
Junior Member

Location: Mandeville, LA
Default High performance?

I've been doing some reading and viewing several videos. I've read and heard about high performance single engine planes when discussing General Aviation. Being new, I can figure out that a Mooney is a high performance single engine airplane. My question is this: Where is the "cutoff" point between regular and high performance? Is the Cirrus R20/R22 considered high performance? Diamond DA40? Cessna 182T?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

David
Old August 23rd 12, 09:33 PM
memooch memooch is offline
Junior Member

See FAR 61.31:

(f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane prior to August 4, 1997.
Old January 6th 13, 09:43 PM
MooneyDriver62 MooneyDriver62 is offline
Junior Member

I've been doing some reading and viewing several videos. I've read and heard about high performance single engine planes when discussing General Aviation. Being new, I can figure out that a Mooney is a high performance single engine airplane. My question is this: Where is the "cutoff" point between regular and high performance? Is the Cirrus R20/R22 considered high performance? Diamond DA40? Cessna 182T?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

David

Some Mooneys are high performance and some are not depends on the model. Early models up to the J are 200hp or less so these would all not be classified as High Perf. The 231 or "K" model is equipped with the TCM TSIO-360 and is over 200HP, all of the later models (long body) were over 200hp. (Acclaim, Ovation, Bravo, Mustang, etc)