1918 Navy ADF?

Old June 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Larry Dighera

Default 1918 Navy ADF?

Could this be the first ADF receiver?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old June 27th 04, 01:22 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Larry Dighera wrote:
Could this be the first ADF receiver?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

$3500. hehehe. a $120 GPS does more these days. ;-)

Gerald

Old June 27th 04, 01:38 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:22:27 GMT, Gerald Sylvester
wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
Could this be the first ADF receiver?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

$3500. hehehe. a $120 GPS does more these days. ;-)

Actually, the seller wants more than $3,900.00 for it, but that's
because of its scarcity, not its functionality.

Frankly, I didn't know that radio direction finding was employed for
aviation use before the '20s. I'd sure like to know more about this
subject.

Old June 27th 04, 02:06 PM
Nathan Young

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:52:25 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

Could this be the first ADF receiver?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Looks easy to operate :-)

Old June 27th 04, 05:17 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

Could this be the first ADF receiver?

No. That receiver could be used to drive a radio compass, which was a (by today's
standard) a primitive homing device. It used a fixed loop antenna. The Radio
Direction Finder was derived from this device later and used a loop which could be
rotated. The ADF was derived from the RDF.

So this could be regarded as the grandfather of the ADF.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 27th 04, 05:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

Frankly, I didn't know that radio direction finding was employed for
aviation use before the '20s. I'd sure like to know more about this
subject.

You're correct. This is a radio compass, not an RDF.

Old June 27th 04, 09:17 PM
Kevin Darling

Larry Dighera wrote in message . ..
Frankly, I didn't know that radio direction finding was employed for
aviation use before the '20s. I'd sure like to know more about this
subject.

Not ADF, of course, but DF existed from the early 1910s, and was
shortly thereafter installed on some naval vessels.

Apparently by 1914 DF was being tested on winged aircraft. The
British looped a wire from the cockpit out along the top wings, and
back via the lower wings... thus creating a loop antenna on each side
of a biplane. This allowed the pilot to easily home into his base's
radio station. ("Most Probable Position, a History of Air
Navigation")

By the end of WW-I, DF equipment was well along, and the SE950 model
in the eBay ad was designed and built in early 1918 in only two weeks
after it was requested. See:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1963hw23.htm

The first aircraft to cross the Atlantic (the "NC-4" in 1919) used a
SE950 to figure out it was off course, after its compass jumped its
gimbal on takeoff.

Cheers, Kev
Old June 27th 04, 11:53 PM
Dave Stadt

"AES/newspost" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kevin Darling) wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote in message
. ..
Frankly, I didn't know that radio direction finding was employed for
aviation use before the '20s. I'd sure like to know more about this
subject.

Not ADF, of course, but DF existed from the early 1910s, and was
shortly thereafter installed on some naval vessels.

Apparently by 1914 DF was being tested on winged aircraft. The
British looped a wire from the cockpit out along the top wings, and
back via the lower wings... thus creating a loop antenna on each side
of a biplane. This allowed the pilot to easily home into his base's
radio station. ("Most Probable Position, a History of Air
Navigation")

Question: At what point in time did electronic amplification (i.e.,
vacuum tube technology) come into those systems -- or any other military
or commercial systems -- whether at the RF, audio, or any other stages?

My impression is that as of the early 1910s the transmitters would have
been either spark-gap or rotary mechanical in character, with crystal
detectors at the receiving end. When did vacuum tube amplifiers or
oscillators come into regular use in any part of these systems?

Around 1913 Deforest sold an audion tube to the general public. Tube
development took off during WWI and they made their way into transmitters
and receivers during the war.

There were an untold number of detectors back then.

Transmitters would have been spark gap, quench gap or arc. The Alexanderson
alternator came out around 1918. There was a huge Alexanderson transmitter
still in operating condition in Sweden up to a couple of years ago. It
still might be in operating condition and put on the air for special
occasions.

FS Jap Navy (IJN) Books (WWII) Ken Insch Naval Aviation 0 December 16th 04 04:12 PM
Desktop Wallpaper - "United States Navy Summer Pulse ’04 T. & D. Gregor, Sr. Naval Aviation 3 October 9th 04 07:44 PM
Air defense (naval and air force) Mike Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Naval air defense Mike Naval Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Navy or Air Farce? Elmshoot Naval Aviation 103 March 22nd 04 07:10 PM