True Cost of Older Bonanza

Old April 24th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default True Cost of Older Bonanza

Hello,

I'm interested in hearing from people who have 'real' first-hand
knowledge of the true costs of owning an older (early 50s) V-tail
Bonanza. I've heard all the horror stories about the outrageous costs;
but the thing is that I heard the same stories before I bought my
*last* plane (a 1963 Beech Musketeer). The Musketeer turned out to be
much cheaper to own and operate than most people told me to expect.

A buddy of mine is looking at buying an older (but very well cared-for)
C-35, and I'm considering buying in. Obviously we'd have a VERY
thorough pre-buy done by a good Bone mechanic. But I'd really be
interested in hearing some info from owners who have been through
owning these old birds for a while. Insurance isn't a problem (I'm a
CFI, and he's 2000+ with a ton of IFR time), and we're both already
quite familiar with the ups and downs of owning a plane; but we've
never owned anything complex before. This would be my second plane, and
his third. Old birds don't scare me, if they are take care of...but is
an old Bone *really* a different animal? If so, why?

So...any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Cap

Old April 24th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

High Beech parts prices are a myth, as both you and I have discovered.
Your main problem will be locating a certain few parts but otherwise you
won't have any problems. What engine does it have? The newer and
bigger the better. Electric prop or constant speed?

Old April 24th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Toks Desalu" wrote:
Try rec.aviation.owning

Or you might try this group:
http://www.beechcraft.org/vtail/
Old April 24th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This is the group to join http://www.bonanza.org/

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

. ..

Old April 24th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It would be hard to imagine that they're any more expensive than Mooney
parts. The control cable for my ram air door is $600. I'd hate to see
what the cable for the throttle must cost.

-Robert

Old April 24th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
It would be hard to imagine that they're any more expensive than Mooney
parts. The control cable for my ram air door is $600. I'd hate to see
what the cable for the throttle must cost.

Recall, too, that sometimes it's not the cost, but the _availability_.
Downtime is a cost, too.

I had to let my T210 sit for five weeks waiting for simple parts...it might
have been longer, but I unloaded the beast and don't know when they
eventually arrived.

Most I ever had to wait for parts for my B36 is 72 hours...over a weekend.
--
Matt

Old April 25th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well I don't know if high Beech prices are a myth overall or not, as
I've really only owned a Bonanza and have nothing to compare it to.
But I do know that a new footstep (forged stainless steel) was $1700.
That kind of blew me away.