SSA Soaring Archive!

Old August 9th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default SSA Soaring Archive!

Exciting news! The SSA Soaring Magazine archive is complete! All
editions back to 1937 are online AND the search function works for the
entire run of the magazine. I'm so excited I can't sit still as I get
to read through all of these great old articles.

Now, if only they'd just put up the latest editions. Can easily be
ported right onto the Archive. Not to mention maybe I could check a
box to say "don't deliver me the paper magazine" and save the
organization a few bucks in shipping costs each month.
Old August 9th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 9, 2:43*pm, Tony wrote:
Exciting news! *The SSA Soaring Magazine archive is complete! *All
editions back to 1937 are online AND the search function works for the
entire run of the magazine. *I'm so excited I can't sit still as I get
to read through all of these great old articles.

Now, if only they'd just put up the latest editions. *Can easily be
ported right onto the Archive. *Not to mention maybe I could check a
box to say "don't deliver me the paper magazine" and save the
organization a few bucks in shipping costs each month.

A couple of us on the G&D committee discussed the electronic option,
which is not currently on the table. If it was, we thought perhaps
you would be able to assign your print copy to a public, school, or
university library. Printing and distribution costs are scalable I
believe, so there might not be significant savings by limiting the
print run.

If you wish to become an OSTIV member, the most recent four issues of
Technical Soaring are now available online also.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 9th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 9, 4:03*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Aug 9, 2:43*pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

Frank,

I know that it won't be a significant savings in printing costs as the
bulk of the cost is in setting up the printing and doing the first few
thousand prints. Just the cost of mailing the magazines though could
represent a decent cost savings. Every dollar counts and this is a
cost savings that costs zero to implement. The best kind!

I like the idea of diverting your copy to a public library/school
etc.

I brought up the idea at the general meeting during the last
convention and was promptly and efficiently shot down. It was pretty
cool actually. I'll have to start thinking up some other hair brained
question for Philadelphia

Old August 10th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cloudstreet Journal

On Aug 9, 2:43*pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

Tony:

You will be glad to hear, Soaring magazine may not be digital but a
new magazine designed to read on your computer or iPad is on the
horizon.

The future of digital publishing is taking soaring content to a new
and exciting level. Cloudstreet Journal, a monthly, interactive
publication in PDF format for PC and iPad is currently in the works,
and can be delivered straight to your computer each month. Cloudstreet
Journal will feature national and international news items, beautiful
color photography, in-depth articles, the latest software and
avionics, a soaring event calendar and the list goes on. Thanks to the
digital format, we also offer animation and embedded video (PC version
only) to enhance the multimedia experience. Navigation is easy and
straight-forward. Cloudstreet Journal is the medium of the future and
we hope you’ll come soar with us. For information, please send an
email to . We are now accepting articles and
advertising.

— The Cloudstreet Journal Team