Can I fly the NY VFR corridor w/o a XPNDR?

Old November 4th 04, 02:42 PM
Mike

Default Can I fly the NY VFR corridor w/o a XPNDR?

Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

Old November 4th 04, 05:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike wrote:

Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

Do not get below 500' in that area -- with the amount of boat traffic in the harbor,
you will find it impossible to maintain the required clearance. In addition, the 500'
ASL level will contain quite a few helicopters, so I would not venture below 600' in
any aircraft that has less than excellent visibility. Why do you think you need to
get that low?

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 4th 04, 05:16 PM
Rosspilot

Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

I'm not so sure about transponder-less a/c inside the 30 nm ring. I would
check on that.

But, if so, the frequency is 123.05 on the Hudson River. Self-announce
position, stay right (as a highway).
www.Rosspilot.com

Old November 4th 04, 06:05 PM
Toks Desalu

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder. However, I think you can
get a special permission from FSDO to enter or leave without transponder
for good reasons. I dont think they will give you a permission because you
want to fly into that corridor without a transponder.

Toks Desalu
Dyin' to soar
PP-ASEL

Old November 4th 04, 06:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder.

You can in an airplane that has never had an engine-driven electrical
system.

Old November 4th 04, 06:21 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Toks Desalu wrote:

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder. However, I think you can
get a special permission from FSDO to enter or leave without transponder
for good reasons. I dont think they will give you a permission because you
want to fly into that corridor without a transponder.

You get it from TRACON if your aircraft has an electrical system. The reason can be
as simple as "I want to fly through there on my way to xxx". Getting permission to
actually enter the class-B is another kettle of fish, but I've heard of it being
arranged.

As far as aircraft without electrical systems goes, FAR 91.215 states in part --
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(2) of this section, any aircraft which was not
originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical system or which has not
subsequently been certified with such a system installed, balloon or glider may
conduct operations in the airspace within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed
in appendix D, section 1 of this part provided such operations are conducted -;

(i) Outside any Class A, Class B, or Class C airspace area; and

(ii) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace area
designated for an airport or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower; and

Despite that last "and", there is no part iii in the copy of the FARs on the AOPA web
site.

As I read that, he can run the corridor if he wants to. That's outside the class B
airspace.

Old November 4th 04, 06:24 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Toks Desalu wrote:

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder....

This statement is incorrect. You need to review FAR 91.215, section b
(3). It states that the original request is legal (flight within the 30
mile Mode C veil, but NOT within the Class B), since the OP clearly
stated that the aircraft in question not only had no transponder, but no
electrical system.

This says nothing about the whether it's a good idea to fly NORDO within
the corridor - I'd be a bit hesitant. However, with a HANDHELD radio,
you'd be perfectly safe (at least as safe as everyone else) and
perfectly legal.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old November 4th 04, 06:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote in message
Toks Desalu wrote:

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder....

This statement is incorrect. You need to review FAR 91.215, section b
(3). It states that the original request is legal (flight within the 30
mile Mode C veil, but NOT within the Class B), since the OP clearly
stated that the aircraft in question not only had no transponder, but no
electrical system.

This says nothing about the whether it's a good idea to fly NORDO within
the corridor - I'd be a bit hesitant. However, with a HANDHELD radio,
you'd be perfectly safe (at least as safe as everyone else) and
perfectly legal.

How does a handheld radio make you as safe as everyone else?

Old November 4th 04, 07:12 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Steven P. McNicoll asks:

How does a handheld radio make you as safe as everyone else?

Many folks (I'm not necessarily one of them) believe that being in radio
contact with other aircraft in a relatively confined airspace is a key
factor in the safety of all of those aircraft. With the handheld, the
aircraft without the electrical system can still be in radio contact.
If you believe that this is a factor in safety, then the radio will get
you functional equivalency with the other aircraft that have built in
radios running off of their electrical system, which the aircraft in
question doesn't have.

Old November 4th 04, 07:34 PM
Mike

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Do not get below 500' in that area -- with the amount of boat traffic in the harbor,
you will find it impossible to maintain the required clearance. In addition, the 500'
ASL level will contain quite a few helicopters, so I would not venture below 600' in
any aircraft that has less than excellent visibility. Why do you think you need to
get that low?

It's a bit diffficult to see, but my sectional appears to
say that the Class B is 70/+05 over the Lady. I know I'll
need an NY Terminal Chart, but I'm in the planning stages.
Is the CBAS higher than 500' there?