A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for a set of ASK-21 ballast weights

Old May 8th 15, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Looking for a set of ASK-21 ballast weights

Our club (SLSA) has an ASK-21 that did not come with any front cockpit ballast weights (the lead triangles, and the 2 "bolts" that hold them in place under the pilot's knees).

If anyone knows of a set lying around unused, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk
Old May 8th 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin
external usenet poster

Look for a local foundry that can cast lead. Make a piece of wood in the correct shape and they can make a set for half the original price from AS.
Old May 8th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 2:48:19 PM UTC-4, Per Carlin wrote:
Look for a local foundry that can cast lead. Make a piece of wood in the correct shape and they can make a set for half the original price from AS.

I use plaster to make molds, then melt lead fishing weights to make "weights". In this case, I would make a "wood blank" with the required dimensions (allowing a slight taper on the sides for a draft angle, lay the blank on a flat smooth surface (narrow side of the draft angle up)and pour plaster over the top of it & let harden. The draft angle eases removing the lead bit later & the mold should last for a number of casts.
In Kirk's place, he just needs the dimensions so he knows how big to make the mold (including depth).
Old September 14th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 1:02:29 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
Our club (SLSA) has an ASK-21 that did not come with any front cockpit ballast weights (the lead triangles, and the 2 "bolts" that hold them in place under the pilot's knees).

If anyone knows of a set lying around unused, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

Kirk,

Did you ever get your weights or cast your own?

Our club had a 112 pound club member and we needed weights. We cast our own and, back in 1/5/2012, I posted instructions on how we did the casting. You could cast your own, or as Per Carlin posted, you could pay a foundry to cast two weights for you.

Back when I did the casting, it was possible to obtain lead ingots from a plumbing supply company. I don't know if that is still possible, but with the advent of the US Post Office "if it fits, it ships" policy, you can now buy lead on ebay.

Each of the original 12 factory weights weigh 1 kilo. Since we have 2 ASK21s, we needed two sets of weights. The first time, we cast one 2" weight and two 1" weights. On the second batch, I decided that we did not need the fine resolution of 3 kilos, so I cast two 2" weights. The 2" thick weights came out to 6 kilos each.

If you want a pattern for either your own casting or for a foundry, email me directly with your address and I will mail one to you.