US National & World Records Require US Pilots to Hold FAI SportingLicense issued by NAA

Old September 4th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US National & World Records Require US Pilots to Hold FAI SportingLicense issued by NAA

An FAI Sporting License is required for US National and World Records.

One can be applied for and obtained from the National Aeronautic Association ("NAA") at the following link:

https://naa.aero/membership/membership-application

An FAI Sporting License is required for all US National & World Record attempts and all FAI sanctioned events and competitions. Sporting License applicants must be a member of NAA and/or a current member of the appropriate NAA Air Sport Organization (for gliding this is the Soaring Society of America).

An annual FAI Sporting License can be obtained by an SSA Member for $45 without paying for membership in the NAA (see the link above).

or

An FAI Sporting License can be obtained free or charge for those who want to be members of the NAA; the annual cost of membership in the NAA is $50. Glider pilots participating in competitions and/or record setting activities can receive a one-year FAI Sporting License (free of charge), but must complete and application for the sporting license (see the link above).

Due to FAI policy changes, you must apply for a Sporting License at least 14 days prior to your record attempt or competition. Applications submitted less than 14 days prior to the event may not be processed in time to allow you to participate.

Old September 4th 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I read there were a number of pilots that no longer submit US National record attempts because of the bureaucracy, complexities and fees associated with processing these FAI record attempts. If anyone is reading this and is willing to sound-off on the matter I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to take these comments back to the SSA's Badge & Records Committee.

Thanks,
Chris Schrader

Old September 4th 15, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I cannot predict National Record breaking weather 14 days in advance. Requiring the Sporting License 14 days in advance seems to just be yet another money making scheme by the NAA.

Reward the performance, not the paperwork.

Old September 4th 15, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can't you just apply for your FREE license at the beginning of each year? Then you are prepared for serendipity.
Old September 4th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 3:27:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Can't you just apply for your FREE license at the beginning of each year? Then you are prepared for serendipity.

It's only Free if you pay $50 to be a member of NAA. SO it's not Free.
Old September 4th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I remember that when I did my 1000k diplome it was going to cost me $350.00+ to get it sanctioned by the NAA-FAI. Has that changed?
Old September 4th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:39:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

OK, maybe I'm mistaken, I thought being a SSA member in good standing (I'm a life member, have been for 30+ years) also gave you a FAI pilot code/licence (whatever it's called).

Thus I would not need to do anything else.

Am I correct or not?
As an aside, everyone in our club MUST be an SSA member, mostly because of the SSA insurance, but also to support SSA which supports us in front of the FAA.
I'm also an AOPA member, trying to cover all bets at once.
Old September 4th 15, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Charlie,

That used to be the case. That is no longer the case. An FAI Sporting License is no longer part of SSA Membership.
Old September 5th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 5:54:17 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Charlie,

That used to be the case. That is no longer the case. An FAI Sporting License is no longer part of SSA Membership.

OK, so I learned something new today.
Thanks.
Old September 5th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

But you do get a "free" subscription to Air & Space magazine, so it's not a complete waste of money, it is a worthwhile read.

The license we used to get through the SSA actually cost a dollar (or more?) per member, and considering the number of members who actually needed a sporting license, it wasn't cost effective.

5Z