Will I fit?

Old March 5th 04, 06:26 PM
Thomas F. Dixon

Mosquito, PIK 20, SGS 1-35, LS6, Mini Nimbus, all have good size
cockpits. A real important part of the fit will be your parachute.
In some ships a back pack is better than a seat or a seat/back type
(Security).
Tom
IDAHO

(c hinds) wrote in message . com...
I am 6'3" 205 lbs. and currently shopping for a sailplane. I fit OK in
the SGS-1-26, 2-33, Puchacz and can squeeze into a Grob 102 with about
1/2" of clearance to the canopy.
What about Libelle, ASW-15b, DG100, Standard Cirrus, Jantus B ? You
know, all of those "other" sailplanes.
Any and all responses appreciated.
Thanks,
Clark

Old March 5th 04, 07:18 PM
Marc Ramsey

Thomas F. Dixon wrote:
Mosquito, PIK 20, SGS 1-35, LS6, Mini Nimbus, all have good size
cockpits.

An LS6 has a good size cockpit?? Surely you jest...

Old March 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Bob Korves

You would probably fit into a Pik-20, but the question then becomes "Can I
fly it?" Pik-20's are easy and fairly docile to fly but a bit tricky on
takeoff and landing -- relatively easy to ground loop. Also near neutral
stability hands off (and delightfully light stick forces hands on).
-Bob

Old March 5th 04, 08:30 PM
Stewart Kissel

Thomas-
Not sure I would agree with your comment on the -6,
the original poster said a 102 was tight for him.
He would not fit into a 6 unless he has a pencil-build.

Old March 6th 04, 05:41 AM
Thomas F. Dixon

Marc:

When I had my "C" model I punched in at 230# ( before the chute) and
5'10" and real broad at the shoulders and hip and I fit it just fine.
There was no way that I could even get in a Libelle or any other
narrow cockpit. Had no trouble in the LS6-C, SGS 1-35, Mosquito, Pik
20, Open Cirrus, Blanik, etc, etc. We are not talking about weight
issues just size. Don't have that problem any more lost a bunch of
weight so can fit anything, almost - Libelle is still too narrow at
the shoulders, can't operate the spoilers without bsckhanding the
handle.

Tom

Old March 6th 04, 07:59 AM
Marc Ramsey

Thomas F. Dixon wrote:
When I had my "C" model I punched in at 230# ( before the chute) and
5'10" and real broad at the shoulders and hip and I fit it just fine.
There was no way that I could even get in a Libelle or any other
narrow cockpit. Had no trouble in the LS6-C, SGS 1-35, Mosquito, Pik
20, Open Cirrus, Blanik, etc, etc. We are not talking about weight
issues just size. Don't have that problem any more lost a bunch of
weight so can fit anything, almost - Libelle is still too narrow at
the shoulders, can't operate the spoilers without bsckhanding the
handle.

I can (just barely) fit in and comfortably fly an LS6, and I'm 6' and
210 pounds. But, I have long legs and a relatively short torso. More
normally proportioned individuals in the 6' and over range end up with
their head jammed up against the canopy. Sure, there are sometimes ways
to finesse things, like modifying or removing the seatback. But, while
the cockpit isn't quite as tiny as a Libelle or Discus A, it certainly
isn't anywhere near as comfortable for larger pilots as the other
gliders mentioned...

Marc
Old March 6th 04, 02:34 PM
JJ Sinclair

When I had my "C" model I punched in at 230# ( before the chute) and
5'10" and real broad at the shoulders and hip and I fit it just fine.

Kinda' broad at the shoulders and narrow at the hip, Everybody knew you didn't
give no lip, to TOM.
JJ Sinclair
Old March 7th 04, 04:14 AM
Chip Bearden

I am 6'2'. I fit in my libelle with absolutely no problems.

6'3" and 180 lbs.: flew a 201 Libelle quite comfortably for years.

There are a number of prior postings on this subject (do a search
using Google Groups) so I won't repeat at length.

Three points:

1. As one poster noted, height is not the sole criterion. As important
is the ratio of leg to torso length. The only way to find out is to
sit in the cockpit.

2. Also a major factor is the parachute: how thick and, as important,
where the max. thickness is: top of the pack, bottom, or even
thickness. The only way to find out is to try it on in the cockpit.
Ask around/borrow and test it with at least three or four different
types/brands of chutes.

3. Adjusting the seat back (many allow adjusting the bottom mounting
point as well as the angle) or even removing it can make a world of
difference. So can different instrument panels (higher cutouts for the
knees), etc.

Bottom line: try it out yourself.

Chip Bearden
Old March 7th 04, 04:47 AM
Thomas F. Dixon

JJ:
For the last few years I have watched you slide into that big two
place and wondered what it would be like to have all that room. The
only way I could come close to duplicating it was to loose about 50#'s
which is what I did, but you are right the spread is still above the
shoulders, the shoulders and the hips. Have not figured out a way to
change the bone mass.
Hope to see you at Ephrata again this summer.

Tom

Old March 12th 04, 02:46 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Marc Ramsey wrote:
More normally proportioned individuals in the 6' and over range end up with
their head jammed up against the canopy ...

This vision of normality seams to exclude most of the fem6 ftinine half
of humanity as "normally proportioned individuals" ... plus myself :-)