New Interior Pix

Old November 12th 03, 06:45 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , Jeff writes:

GPS's are great, I will probably keep my garmin 295 (my garmin 430
installation
is going to be done tomorrow for sure) as a backup, plus its good for sitting
at
home and doing my flight planning on it.
The only thing my wife care about on the GPS is the ground speed and ETA
the faster the GS the shorter the ETA

I kept my Garmin 195 on the yoke when I got the 430. The 195 has better VNav
than the 430, for example. Garmin says they are more restricted on what they
can put on an IFR approved unit. The "glide slope needle" on the 195 HSI page,
of course, would not be allowed on the 430. The 195 has more complete
city/road identificaton. Don't know that I would but a 195 if I already had a
430, but there are several reasons for keeping it.

Chuck
Old November 12th 03, 10:23 PM
Paul Sengupta

Do you still get the airspace and/or obstructions/navaids/roads/anything
else?

Paul

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The Lowrance Airmap 300 on the co-pilot's yoke no longer "sees" the

airport
database

Old November 12th 03, 10:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Do you still get the airspace and/or obstructions/navaids/roads/anything
else?

Nope. Well, we get the basic topographic database, with rivers and some
roads.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 03, 07:28 PM
Jay Honeck

Ah. Do you have a cartridge to try in the other slot with other data on?
Have you tried the other slot? (don't think you can put the "normal" one
in that slot). (programmable one?)Does it work or are both of them
up the spout?

Nah, it's an internal failure in the Airmap 300. It WILL work if you leave
the GPS in the enclosed cockpit on a hot day, and heat it to something over
100 degrees. I suppose whatever hairline crack is causing the problem
expands shut, makes the connection, and *poof* all is well....

....until the unit cools back down to ambient temperature. Then you lose the
database again. It doesn't matter which data slot you put the cartridge in.

Lowrance is aware of the problem, and refuses to support the unit, despite
it being only four years old. Which is why we chose not to purchase the
Airmap 500 or 1000.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 03, 08:44 PM
Mike Z.

Drat,

I was ready to buy a 500 because it seemed like a good value and I was hoping it would hold me until somebody came out with a nice
color handheld for under a grand.

I hate people that don't back up their stuff so I guess Garmin still gets the nod. In fact I had a cheesy boat GPS that the internal
battery died after 4 years. I sent it back and they fixed it for free. In fact I expected to pay but they said it shoulda lasted
longer and so they made it right

Mike Z

Old November 14th 03, 08:50 PM
Dave Butler

Mike Z. wrote:

I hate people that don't back up their stuff so I guess Garmin still gets the nod. In fact I had a cheesy boat GPS that the internal
battery died after 4 years. I sent it back and they fixed it for free. In fact I expected to pay but they said it shoulda lasted
longer and so they made it right

My Garmin GPSMAP 196 is nice, but I'll decide whether I'm happy with their
customer service when I find out what they intend to do about the bug I
reported. See "who moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp?" on rec.aviation.ifr

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old November 14th 03, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck

I hate people that don't back up their stuff so I guess Garmin still gets
the nod. In fact I had a cheesy boat GPS that the internal
battery died after 4 years. I sent it back and they fixed it for free. In

fact I expected to pay but they said it shoulda lasted
longer and so they made it right

In Lowrance's defense, their supplier stopped making the chips -- so what
can they do?

Understanding their plight doesn't make it right, however; it still means
they lose my business.

Go get yourself the color AvMap. The extra money will only hurt for a
little while (!), and the difference in screen size, detail, and utility is
striking.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 03, 03:43 PM
Mike Z.

Darn Christmas list is up over 35 grand.

I guess I could start by asking for a new panel and autopilot and settle for a color Avmap! Or would that be considered a stocking
stuffer?

Mike Z

Old November 17th 03, 06:19 PM
Jay Honeck

I guess I could start by asking for a new panel and autopilot and settle
for a color Avmap! Or would that be considered a stocking
stuffer?

Nah, it's too big for a stocking stuffer!

Not like those itty-bitty Garmins at all... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA